2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
What his prior clubs deemed to be failures would patently be our successes, hence the only problem I had with this appointment - overqualified.

Ok. But I'm not seeing what your dog is in the race here mate. Are you saying, he's unsuitable? Or he's a risk?

The problem with your argument is that the tool you are using to measure "great" clubs is entirely arbitrary. It's basically just your opinion. Which many in the media share. When Ancelotti took over PSG, I believe they hadn't won the title in 19 years. Mourinho just took over Spurs, they haven't won it since the 60's. Are they now great clubs? And the list goes on.

Great clubs have a history. Not just from the birth of the premier era but much longer, generation after generation in fact. By any reasonable assessment Everton are a great club. Indeed, It was one of the first things Ancelotti said in his conference today.

I see the point you're making but I think you've drank too much of the media hype kool-aid.

Having recently disagreed with some of your posts mate , I entirely endorse this one.
Whichever parameters you use to describe "great clubs" we are well above Chelsea , Man City , and the rest , (including Spurs) are debateable.
Money and power switches everything.
We have more than enough right to dine at the top table.
Let's be honest FFP wasn't brought in to protect clubs , it was brought in to maintain the status quo of the new rich.
Unfortunately for us, it was at the wrong time.
There is no top 6 or 7. A few years ago it was the big 4 or 5. Leicester and / or Wolves are not above us for FFS.
There is no glass ceiling if you have the acumen , and perhaps more importantly , the resources and finance, to break it. Others have proven it before.
This is what Moshiri (possibly Usmanov) intend to prove.

How does my definition differ to yours, you said yours was different?

There is always hope but I’d say we have got a very long way to go. Even with a bottomless pit of cash, it took City 3 years to break at the time what was only a top 4. They also started from a much better point than we did as they already had a chunk of their great side already there before the Sheikh and Mancini arrived.

Now, there's an established top six, possibly even a top 7, which makes the challenge of reaching the top 4 arguably even harder.

It’s also highly debatable we’re going to spend that sort of money while funding a stadium. So, unless we do lob City / PSG levels of spending into the equation, to expect Champions League Football within 3-4 years is unrealistic.
Everton won 8 major trophies between 1963 and 1995. This during a continuous run of 65 seasons in the top flight. They have finished in the top half of the league in 8 of the last 10 seasons. Some of those clubs in your top 6 haven't been competing at that level during that time. There's one difference in our
definitions. To compare Everton to the likes of Huddersfield, Sunderland and the others you mentioned further weakens your argument.

Guardiola started 3 seasons at Bayern he won 3 League titles and 2 German Cups.

Ancelotti started 2 seasons and won 1 League title and 0 Cups.

So one of them won 5 out of 6 domestic trophies and the other won 1 out of 4.
Yeah, so? They were brought in to win the Champions League

Guardiola turned the most exciting team I have ever seen into a poor man’s Barcelona

You like a manager to win less tropies than he is expected to do ?

Carlo was sacked at Bayern because he underachieved. He was sacked at Napoli because he massively underachieved. Yet people on here are lauding him as the best manager on the planet. Please give the man a chance.

Name me a manager that hasnt been sacked.

Jose has been sacked by loads of clubs, Pep, Klopp, I mean what a stupid argument.

You like a manager to win less tropies than he is expected to do ?

Carlo was sacked at Bayern because he underachieved. He was sacked at Napoli because he massively underachieved. Yet people on here are lauding him as the best manager on the planet. Please give the man a chance.

Is this the Napoli who have only 2 serie A and 1 Euro trophy to their name? Seems like he done what was expected to me.

The definition of failure is doing worse than is expected. Are you sure we can live with doing worse than expected ?

Is this a serious question? Ancelotti has been brought in to ensure we start competing again. As other posters have pointed out, we're not Bayern, Real or Juventus. Not yet anyway. We don't expect to lift the European Cup every year. However to get there, these so called "failures" in his career will do us just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.