Roberto back in the goodison hotseat?

• Of course

Votes: 61 20.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 244 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He did for 18 months, then he didn't for 18 months. Then he was sacked.

18 months!? Lol, the downward spiral happened at the end of his first season where he pissed the opportunity of getting Champions League qualification into our own hands up the wall against the mighty Crystal Palace. We stuttered over the line.

In his second season he had us in 12th after half of the league fixtures had been played (bringing us up to your 18 month mark) and things would get worse before they got better, not to mention the pre-season before that season was abysmal as well.

Being kind, Martinez had about 8 good months at Everton, not 18...

18 months!? Lol, the downward spiral happened at the end of his first season where he pissed the opportunity of getting Champions League qualification into our own hands up the wall against the mighty Crystal Palace. We stuttered over the line.

In his second season he had us in 12th after half of the league fixtures had been played (bringing us up to your 18 month mark) and things would get worse before they got better, not to mention the pre-season before that season was abysmal as well.

Being kind, Martinez had about 8 good months at Everton, not 18...
Nope. It happened when we played Spurs away second season - late autumn.

Russia dispatched by Roberto's men with utter ruthlessness.

Wins = 33
Draws = 6
Losses = 3

GF = 128 (3.0 goals scored per game on average)
GA = 30 (0.7 goals conceded per game on average)

The most successful manager in Belgium's history and overseeing the best football ever played by a very decent football nation.

One season of magical, exhilarating football, Coleman doing keeps ups on the half way line as we dispatched Arsenal at how me, showing an arrogance and confidence in possession, actually keeping the ball and feeding a striker as lethal as Lukaku. It would be wrong of me to say, I wasn’t drawn in to the illusion, best football I’d seen us play since the mid eighties. We had Ross in attack, McCarthy running all over, he’s magic don’t you know? I loved it.

Then the contract. He had three years or so left on what he had, but drunk on what our loanees had done, we went all Moyes and gave him the keys to L4. A new five year contract, after twelve months? A foray into Europe derailed us, got undermined by E’to and the loose approach to individual training regimes and his over indulgence for those perceived with ability ahead of hard work saw him lack credibility when phenomenal didn’t reflect reality. Nice bloke but he had to go...the players knew he was a soft touch and took advantage. He let some serious talent go unfilled, thinking that they were better than they were. A dreamer and idealistic, great when it’s going well......but Martinez I will never forgive you for those abject performances at Anfield. You may not have been bothered, but for those of us there and watching it, it was criminal and the kudos and belief you gave us in the first season quickly evaporated. I’m sure the £10m pay off you received softened the blow of your departure. So No, I wouldn’t take Martinez back.

Have him back in a heartbeat he got what the club was about (historically) and had the courage to try a different approach to get there unfortunately having to beg, steal and borrow compared to the contemporary elite meant he had no chance

If he had capitalised on the impetus of the first season with a clean sweep of the Moyes crew replacing with proven high standard players in reasonable numbers he would have had genuine competition for places but he ended up dicking around with the McCreadys of this world so no surprise it ended up a dog's breakfast.

Since then he's proved with Belgium he can get a tune out of top players surely demonstrating he just didn't have enough of them here to match his vision. In reality it's down to Mosh's money arriving too late, love to have Bobby back

Status
Not open for further replies.