Lewis Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's obviously a lot to go in the saga so it's by no means final, but it certainly looks likely he will want to move elsewhere. You can't help but feel it's a bit of a kick in the nuts for Brands really, and he would add to a list of young players who for varying reasons we have been unable to keep.

Thats being said the conclusion to me is he is one of a number of players bought in 2017 in what was a completely botched recruitment drive. I do wonder had we have trusted our nerve and gone for a young, youth orientated coach (or someone like a Favre) how he might have been able to better capitalise on players such as Gibson, Lookman, Vlasic etc. Even to a degree lads like Bowler, Adeniran just haven't really been utilised. You do need a plan with younger players.

I hope we can keep him, I think he has something about him. I also think he'd settle in next to Mina as well. But we have to see I suppose. I can understand why Silva is reticent about putting him in there.
If Everton offer him a deal, I suspect he will stay because the whole stuff about him wanting to leave isn't true.

If Everton offer him a deal, I suspect he will stay because the whole stuff about him wanting to leave isn't true.

Ah ok. I suppose a couple of questions mate;
1) Why is it being reported as such that he is
2) Why do you think the club aren't offering him a deal? Do they not fancy him? Off field issues?

Apologies as I'm very much looking in from the outside, but it seems like a bit of a no brainer for me.

Ah ok. I suppose a couple of questions mate;
1) Why is it being reported as such that he is
2) Why do you think the club aren't offering him a deal? Do they not fancy him? Off field issues?

Apologies as I'm very much looking in from the outside, but it seems like a bit of a no brainer for me.
With regards to point one, I suspect it's partly due to people doing filling in the blanks and coming to a conclusion that's perhaps easiest for them: 1 + 1 = 3 etc.

There may be other parties involved in the process, who are slowly drip feeding it for their own ends, albeit not actually matching the wishes of the player.

Was the lack of offering him a contract from Boyland in the Athletic mate?

It all seems a but odd the situation really. I can fully understand Gibson wanting to go somewhere where he can play more. To be quite frank for any young players 18-21 the opportunity to play in Germany/Lique 1 as a permanent transfer and get 2-3 years under your belt is far better than you will be offered for most PL teams. I can't fathom why we wouldn't have offered him a deal though.

There doesn't seem to have been any suggestion his attitude was off. He was spoken about glowingly at the back end of last season and did pretty well in pre-season. I'd imagine the club would be delighted with him. Maybe Brands wants to leave it later before committing to longer term contracts? He may have seen Garbutt and Galloway still on the books and felt we have to be more careful on deals? Hard to say.

Ive said before but i reckon weve told him we will be making an offer before Jan + its a long term deal + we want to see if hes in the first team or what level he is at before offering it.

I think thats why Silva mentioned in a press conference that Gibson wasnt ready yet...could be to give him that extra push and motivation to get into the first team squad.

Then he gets first team wages...if he cant and the plan is to loan him then its a different salary bracket.

High risk, high reward.

With regards to point one, I suspect it's partly due to people doing filling in the blanks and coming to a conclusion that's perhaps easiest for them: 1 + 1 = 3 etc.

There may be other parties involved in the process, who are slowly drip feeding it for their own ends, albeit not actually matching the wishes of the player.

Thanks mate. Are you in a position to comment at all on point 2? I can't see much benefit in not offering him a contract.

Ive said before but i reckon weve told him we will be making an offer before Jan + its a long term deal + we want to see if hes in the first team or what level he is at before offering it.

I think thats why Silva mentioned in a press conference that Gibson wasnt ready yet...could be to give him that extra push and motivation to get into the first team squad.

Then he gets first team wages...if he cant and the plan is to loan him then its a different salary bracket.

High risk, high reward.

Yes there is that possibility. In general I would say we have probably handed out long contracts to certain players perhaps a bit too early (Garbutt, Baningime and Galloway do spring to mind).

It seems an enormous gamble to me though. Especially when you consider he is unlikely to get first team minutes to prove he is ready?

Who knows. All I can say, is if he ends up leaving at the end of the season ti get first team football elsewhere some questions will likely be asked of Brands.

Thanks mate. Are you in a position to comment at all on point 2? I can't see much benefit in not offering him a contract.
Well, I suspect only Silva, Brands and the other back room staff at the club really know the answer to why not contract has yet been offered.

If you're not allowed to go out on loan, provided with assurances of football and are training with the first team (not allowed with the U23), I suspect you're wanted.

Well, I suspect only Silva, Brands and the other back room staff at the club really know the answer to why not contract has yet been offered.

If you're not allowed to go out on loan, provided with assurances of football and are training with the first team (not allowed with the U23), I suspect you're wanted.

If thats the case, I do wonder if there may be some stories emerging from the players side, to try and put pressure on Everton to put a deal to him? Thanks for clearing that up though, he's clearly well thought of. It might be a wider discussion, that they are going to wait a little longer before committing to longer term deals with young players?

I was under the impression that we had offered him a good deal and so far he has refused to sign it. Maybe I’ve got it wrong, although I can’t understand why he hasn’t been offered a deal if that is the case.

If thats the case, I do wonder if there may be some stories emerging from the players side, to try and put pressure on Everton to put a deal to him? Thanks for clearing that up though, he's clearly well thought of. It might be a wider discussion, that they are going to wait a little longer before committing to longer term deals with young players?
If he hasn’t already been offered a deal then they haven’t got a great deal of time to offer him one, he is out of contract at the end of this season and is free to talk to other clubs in January. I think I’m right in saying he could move to a foreign club for next to nothing at the end of his present contract.

Think a lot of it has come partly from the Longstaff brothers maybe, but also with Beardsley leaving, and him being a large part of why he left in the first place.

he is out of contract at the end of this season and is free to talk to other clubs in January. I think I’m right in saying he could move to a foreign club for next to nothing at the end of his present contract.

Think he can talk to foreign clubs in Jan re: bosman transfer, but can't talk to domestic clubs until June (in which case we should be due a fee if we offer new/improved contract).

Status
Not open for further replies.