Young EFC Players Out on Loan 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
....Dowell and Pennington struggling for game time, it might be difficult to move either on whilst under contract. Just watching Joe Williams playing for Wigan. He’s left us now on a permanent deal but he consistently provides what a team needs so it was no surprise that he was in demand.

Hopefully we realise some money for Kenny but Virginia is another that is struggling on loan.
I know well your views on the first team futures of players sent out on loan but Kenny is the one I still have hopes for. My main concern with him is pace and I know the game may have changed slightly but I don't think he is any slower than Gary Neville and I think he has a lot of similar qualities. And in your words which is something I always look for is that he plays every game like it matters and he cares. If he doesn't come back I think he might stay in Germany and then I have no doubt he'll be back in the Premier league.

But it's all just a bit disappointing from the kids point of view. Won the U23 title twice (I know people have views on how we won and the squad age range) and this was meant to be if not a golden generation then at least gold plated.
Ledston, Williams, the little midfielder who was terrific and who's name escapes me, do well. All highly rated but haven't progressed.
As you say, the gap between U23 and playing for the first team is absolutely massive and there's hardly any guarantees unless you get a once in a generation Rooney.
I know your view is that Silva doesn’t want him, but Kenny is having one of the best loan spells of anybody in recent years, playing well in a team riding high in the Bundesliga. If your ambition is to “ hopefully realise some money “ from him and the club thinks the same way then really I despair . We’ll then spend £20 mill plus on Coleman’s replacement and eventually another £10 mill on a back up, while still failing to bring in a goalscoring No9 . Kenny meanwhile will
Iikely have been sold at 22 for a pittance with his best years ahead of him.

I think its going to be very interesting what happens with Sidibe this season.

His agreed fee is €13mil which, if he continues like yesterday is very good value indeed.

Kenny as well needs to keep up his form and continue his development with a view to coming back into the team and pushing to be first choice.

I think Kenny + Sidibe would be very strong competition for one another.

However, Coleman, the captain well liked and a contract till 2022...i wonder if Brands will try to move him on and get in some £££ while we still can.

Perhaps a move to Celtic?

...’little midfielder’....think that’s reference to Liam Walsh. He went to Bristol City but failed to establish himself, on loan at Coventry currently if it’s the player you are referring to. I think it is, he was very highly thought of and I thought he’d do well after leaving us. I could add add Adam Forshaw to your list, who is now at Leeds and rebuilding his. as is John Lundstram who has gone on to for e his way to being a regular in Wilder’s Blades team.

I agree with the sentiment in your post though. We do seem to have a history of developing players but you have to trust the opinions of the coaching staff at Finch Farm, there are very few who have gone on to a level where you would say we’ve not made the right call. Of course, the player, his family and his agent all have a say in their future and may feel opportunities at Everton are limited......perhaps Gibson will be one who we may regret not nurturing his ambition sufficiently if he does go on to move from us.

That's him! I can't believe I couldn't remember and was too lazy to look it up lol. I thought he was a smashing little player, i was really disappointed when he left but hopefully like Lundstrum he works his way back up.

I agree we do have some quality players coming through although I haven't seen them as much as I'd like. I was just thinking about that specific age group we had. They won the world Cup together lol, i just expected more.

Scouting report on Jonjoe Kenny.

Another good performce from Kenny against Hoffenheim, although Schalke fell to two late goals to the home team after dominating.

Kenny is impressing me with his passing in particlular: driving pinpoint accurate balls 30-40 yards, finding feet on passes over 10 yards by really drilling the ball to team mates; his link up play is superb, one touch one-twos (all in all on passing: he makes very good use of the ball). He always shows for the ball; crossing into the box very good. Defensivley he's getting better and does well in one to one duels. The big drawback still is that he cant get up and down the pitch easily and defo flags in that respect as the game wears on. It places a lot of pressure on his team mates when the counter attack is on.

IMO, he's better than Coleman and what Ive seen of Sidebe.

I can see him as the starting RB here next season, unless that divvy Brands sells him to a Bundesliga club, because he's been that good so far.

...’little midfielder’....think that’s reference to Liam Walsh. He went to Bristol City but failed to establish himself, on loan at Coventry currently if it’s the player you are referring to. I think it is, he was very highly thought of and I thought he’d do well after leaving us. I could add add Adam Forshaw to your list, who is now at Leeds and rebuilding his. as is John Lundstram who has gone on to for e his way to being a regular in Wilder’s Blades team.

I agree with the sentiment in your post though. We do seem to have a history of developing players but you have to trust the opinions of the coaching staff at Finch Farm, there are very few who have gone on to a level where you would say we’ve not made the right call. Of course, the player, his family and his agent all have a say in their future and may feel opportunities at Everton are limited......perhaps Gibson will be one who we may regret not nurturing his ambition sufficiently if he does go on to move from us.

Liam Walsh - had no luck with injuries when he was with us, and again at Bristol. He'd just broken into their team last season, put 3 or 4 good games together then got injured again and out until almost the end of the season. Now at Coventry on loan in League One where he's started well. Still only 22, he can still work his way up the leagues.

Another good performce from Kenny against Hoffenheim, although Schalke fell to two late goals to the home team after dominating.

Kenny is impressing me with his passing in particlular: driving pinpoint accurate balls 30-40 yards, finding feet on passes over 10 yards by really drilling the ball to team mates; his link up play is superb, one touch one-twos (all in all on passing: he makes very good use of the ball). He always shows for the ball; crossing into the box very good. Defensivley he's getting better and does well in one to one duels. The big drawback still is that he cant get up and down the pitch easily and defo flags in that respect as the game wears on. It places a lot of pressure on his team mates when the counter attack is on.

I can see him as the starting RB here next season, unless that divvy Brands sells him to a Bundesliga club, because he's been that good so far.

I always felt with Kenny that, if anything, he was trying too hard for us, he cared too much, unlike some of the others. This particularly applied to his passing, which was a strength of his in youth and U23s. A spell away from us could be the making of him, allowing him to come back with more experience and confidence. I'd love to see him make it with us.

I think its going to be very interesting what happens with Sidibe this season.

His agreed fee is €13mil which, if he continues like yesterday is very good value indeed.

Kenny as well needs to keep up his form and continue his development with a view to coming back into the team and pushing to be first choice.

I think Kenny + Sidibe would be very strong competition for one another.

However, Coleman, the captain well liked and a contract till 2022...i wonder if Brands will try to move him on and get in some £££ while we still can.

Perhaps a move to Celtic?

....Sidebe has still got something to prove, but we are starting to see what Brands saw. I didn’t know about the €13m buy clause, it does seem reasonable. I still wonder if he has somebody else on his radar. As you know, I can’t see Kenny coming back if he maintains his good form.

The unknown factor is whether a youngster coming through is a possible candidate. John in particular seems highly rated.

I always felt with Kenny that, if anything, he was trying too hard for us, he cared too much, unlike some of the others. This particularly applied to his passing, which was a strength of his in youth and U23s. A spell away from us could be the making of him, allowing him to come back with more experience and confidence. I'd love to see him make it with us.
He definitely cares about Schalke too given the gesticulations he makes.

Its impressive to see a younger player in a foreign country slotting in so well and being one of their better players.

He definitely cares about Schalke too given the gesticulations he makes.

Its impressive to see a younger player in a foreign country slotting in so well and being one of their better players.
Yeah he's the kind of lad who cares: captain material.

€13 mill is nothing in todays market, so providing he does well we should sign Sidibe, keep Coleman as backup and let Kenny have another year playing every week.

...thanks Dave, useful insight. Do you still think Dowell will go on to be a top player or is his demise also somebody else’s fault?

Last edited:
JJK doing himself and the club proud. Always thought he could make it JJK and I always said, he struggled in a struggling Everton team, only ever getting a game when the teams confidence was at it's lowest.

He is showing what he is about and I fully expect him to come back and make RB his own.

OH HERE WE GO, Dave planting the seed for his next tirade against Brands in the summer, Can't wait for this one to blossom.

League One
Burton Albion - Nathan Broadhead played full match in 1-0 home win over AFC Wimbledon

OS Match Report
"Nathan Broadhead was soon set free down the right driving a low cross into the box that was intercepted by Nathan Trott in the Wimbledon goal before Boyce could pounce on the edge of the six yard box.
Broadhead took control of a set piece on nine minutes when Templeton was bundled over just outside the box but his curling effort had Trott at full stretch but relieved to see it creep past the post.
Wimbledon briefly broke free of their defensive shackles to generate some pressure around the Albion box but a long ball out from Hutchinson soon picked out the run of Broadhead and he almost profited as Trott and Paul Osew almost got themselves in a tangle at close quarters inside their own box."
"Broadhead at the far post could not quite get there to finish it and give Albion a lead they deserved."
"Broadhead was able to send Edwards away and into the box with his angled shot towards the far post just tipped around the upright by the fingertips of Trott."
"Broadhead was also close to the sought after second goal with a low drive from the edge of the box on 52 minutes as the visitors struggled to clear their lines."
"Dyer was quickly into his stride down the left and he put the ball on a plate for Broadhead on 72 minutes with the young Welshman steering the ball past Trott but also inches wide of the far post from inside the six yard box."

Lincoln City - Callum Connolly played full match in 0-1 away defeat to Portsmouth

OS Match Report
"Michael O’Connor played it into the heart of the box and Callum Connolly was there, but his powerful header from almost on the penalty spot flashed wide of the mark with Craig MacGillivray in the Pompey goal rooted to the spot."

Twitter stuff
7' WIDE! Chance for City as O'Connor's free-kick from the right finds Connolly in acres of space inside the penalty area, but his headed effort is wide of MacGillivray's post.
8' A couple of neat headed clearances from Connolly and Bruno removes the danger from a Williams cross.
10' Portsmouth manage to create an opening inside the City area, but Connolly is well-positioned in the six yard box to remove the danger.
14' Connolly is well positioned inside the area again to remove the danger from another Williams cross, before Eardley and Connolly usher a deep cross out of play for a goal kick.
40' Another important block from Connolly at the near post forces a near post cross behind for Portsmouth's first corner of the game.

Fan comments
"Glad Connolly had a good game, I did think a game where we’re on top would suit him at CB."
"Connolly filled in at CB ok."
"Honourable mention for Connolly who I thought did very well as a CB."
"Connolly -5.5 - a worry, one great tackle but not a natural midfielder nor a natural CB?"
"Connolly - 8.5 - Thought he was superb against some decent strikers. Won headers and dealt with pace well. Couple of nervy moments but to be expected."

Joao Virginia was not in matchday squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.