2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love him to rekindle some form - but also think the fact that we very rarely actually give him the ball has something of an impact too! He feeds off scraps, isnt a ball winner and isnt fast. But give him the ball and he might actually do something with it.

If we are gonna play him - do so with the aim of actually utilising him rather than him standing in the middle watching us bomb up the wings endlessly.

It's hard to give him the ball as he actively hides within their defensive lines and or in positions where he knows people won't pass to him as it'll be intercepted.

For a player who dictates the entire setup of a team he is disgustingly unwilling to be the main man

I'd love him to rekindle some form - but also think the fact that we very rarely actually give him the ball has something of an impact too! He feeds off scraps, isnt a ball winner and isnt fast. But give him the ball and he might actually do something with it.

If we are gonna play him - do so with the aim of actually utilising him rather than him standing in the middle watching us bomb up the wings endlessly.

The problem with that is that he stands so far up the pitch that he’s always receiving the ball with his back to goal. It takes him 3 hours to get the ball under control and turn, and by that time the opposition have got everyone into position to cut out the angles for a through ball. He can’t dribble so he just ends up playing it safe out to the wings. I firmly believe he’s the main reason we’re so appalling going forward as a unit.

What I’m getting at is they generally don’t just stay behind the striker. Especially De Bruyne, he’s all over finding space. They are both clever enough to find the spaces to take up. Gylfi just tends to stay in the hole just behind the striker and it’s so easy to read for the opposition.

100%

Luxury player.

The problem with that is that he stands so far up the pitch that he’s always receiving the ball with his back to goal. It takes him 3 hours to get the ball under control and turn, and by that time the opposition have got everyone into position to cut out the angles for a through ball. He can’t dribble so he just ends up playing it safe out to the wings. I firmly believe he’s the main reason we’re so appalling going forward as a unit.
I’m with you; I’ve been calling him the anchor holding us down for some time now. A pre-Brands signing who doesn’t work in a dynamic offense and with extremely limited versatility. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.