2019/20 Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks like he is not going anywhere...very concerned that we are waiting to act as it is not too late to have a good finish this season. We will act when again it's too late to achieve anything. The guy has undedelivered now for over a season and this year we are on course to be even worse than last year. Looks to me that Moshiri wants to prove the doubters wrong and persist with his bad choice.

I cant put all the blame on Silva mate - Brands really messed up on not bringing in a senior CF and those final few days scrambling around for a CB and Zaha yet never putting in a 2nd bid were embarassing.

The fact it looks like he's still standing by Silva also raises massive question marks over what he deems as success/the aim for this club.

Overmars has built that young Ajax side who were a breath of fresh air - if we could talk to him behind closed doors and he wants in - I would boot both Marco and Brands out the door and let Overmars pick the next bloke be it Ten Hag or whoever.

Not getting a CB was unfortunate, but there was at least plans in place, we wanted Zouma back, Chelsea wanted him to stay but were going to allow us to have Tomori on loan then had to nix it when Luiz decided to be a bell and want out last minute, we were ready to loan Rojo until United wanted a cash deal that we didn’t see as worth it

We will never know what truly happened over Zaha, he would have been a great signing don’t get me wrong but he is in no way worth the hugely overinflated price tag that Palace wanted, both us and Arsenal made offers that we believed were much closer to what he’s actually worth

The football consultancy 21st Club analysed the points earned by teams in the big five European leagues in the eight games before and after sacking a manager. In the eight games before a manager leaves, the team averages 0.8 points per game. In the eight subsequent matches, they average 1.2 points per game - a clear improvement. But based on expected goals - the quality and quantity of chances created and conceded - the team actually ‘deserved’ 1.2 points per game in the eight points before the manager left, exactly the same as they actually got under their new boss.

That’s why, on average, Premier League sackings make no difference at all to a team’s performance, as a study of Premier League sackings from 2000-2015 found. Comparing underperforming teams who sacked their managers after a terrible run to those clubs who kept their managers after the same dire form, the group of Dutch academics showed that results improve, and by the same amount, regardless of whether or not the manager is sacked. Studies of other leagues have shown the same.

tenor.gif

That statistical analysis is compelling however there is something specific to consider in Silva's case. The now well established patterns his three Premiership teams have displayed - conceding too many goals with a particular vulnerability at set pieces which he is clearly unwilling or unable to rectify.
Providing poor motivation / lack of energy from the sidelines - his teams struggle to come back from a goal down AND the most important one, his teams go on extended relegation form runs.
It got him sacked at Watford then it happened again last season with us. He managed to pull out of it last season but what if he doesn't before that dreadful run of games we have around Christmas and what if we were also to see Mina or Keane injured?
A terrible start to the season will turn into a relegation crisis. Therefore I believe the logical thing to do is replace him now as it's clear he has no future in the Premiership anyway. He'll be back in Portugal by this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.