2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I think he’s looked ok so far. Likes to hit the box and scored a couple of goals. Disappointing yesterday, but still centrally involved in our goal and put a magnificent ball through to Sigurdsson that he should’ve done better with.

Digne had a torrid time and Iwobi could’ve done more to help, but he doesn’t play with the white of the sideline on his boots. It’s why I think Silva started Walcott.

Much too early to fully assess. I suppose we can say that Brands moved Lookman and Onyekuru on who never played and has replaced them with one who does. Regardless of what Brands does, you appear to have a fixed opinion.
I see how Silva sees things with Iwobi: a signing who was hit and miss for Arsenal and not really his type of player. He looks a bit part player to me. I dont dislike him; I just see that he's not all that influential.

Like Dingne too then? I guess he must be lumped in with that way of looking at things.
No. As I said on the Brands thread just now - that method will work once or twice but wont on the majority of occasions. For every Digne there'll be a Mina and Iwobi and Gbamin. Even Gomes looks less than top quality. Too inconsistent.

Brands has a template for players and that has its weaknesses as well as strengths.

He's a signing for a team finishing mid table. No top teams would be interested in him. But we're not a top team so it doesnt matter.

I see how Silva sees things with Iwobi: a signing who was hit and miss for Arsenal and not really his type of player. He looks a bit part player to me. I dont dislike him; I just see that he's not all that influential.

...that’s fair. Brands has spoken openly and said he has a strategy of picking fringe players from elsewhere. Iwobi (for me) is already an improvement on Lookman/Onyekuru, who’s combined fees covered the transfer cost.

Iwobi might become a bit part player, but he’s already improved the squad. Two out, one in.

...that’s fair. Brands has spoken openly and said he has a strategy of picking fringe players from elsewhere. Iwobi (for me) is already an improvement on Lookman/Onyekuru, who’s combined fees covered the transfer cost.

Iwobi might become a bit part player, but he’s already improved the squad. Two out, one in.
He's not the quality of player we need to push on.

Despite some significant investment in the squad we haven’t improved. The loss of Gana and Zouma is becoming more telling by the week. Iwobi, Kean and Sidibe are considered not even starters. Gbamin unfortunate with injury, as is Gomes (who has looked a shadow of the player he was last season) as is Lossl (who on pickfords current form could be a starter). Whereas last years recruitment looked decent, this one is proving less so.

Despite some significant investment in the squad we haven’t improved. The loss of Gana and Zouma is becoming more telling by the week. Iwobi, Kean and Sidibe are considered not even starters. Gbamin unfortunate with injury, as is Gomes (who has looked a shadow of the player he was last season) as is Lossl (who on pickfords current form could be a starter). Whereas last years recruitment looked decent, this one is proving less so.

....we don’t know how effective Gbamin will be, but we are certainly weaker for the loss of Zouma. I’m sure the CB situation will be addressed in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.