Silva must go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mourinho is yesterday's man; Allardyce's tactics but played by the most expensive players. After starting the 2018-19 season with just seven wins in the first 17 Premier League games, leaving Manchester United 19 points behind the league leaders, Mourinho was sacked by the club on 18 December 2018. And he is still out of work; clubs haven't actually been chasing him.

In his last full season he won the Europa League, got to an FA cup final and finished 2nd with a really average squad, but yes ok he’s “yesterday’s man” lol

I haven't read this thread yet but I've been thinking a lot about this (obviously)

I think a rational, reasoned response to this is to try one thing first - if it has not already been done - Brands or someone on the coaching team needs to tell Silva to adapt his management style a bit - he's still a young manager, I hope he has the maturity and sense that he also needs to learn. Here are the big three problems in my opinion, which, if he changes, will make him still the best person for the job:

1) LEADERSHIP on the pitch and his demeanour on the touchline
He's criticised for being quite passive and serious, and maybe even quiet, while he's on the touchline. In a team which currently doesn't seem to have on the pitch leaders, he should be more animated, shout more, instruct them, and keep talking to the players. He could encourage both Coleman and Digne, who are his leaders, to talk more, because they're gonna be closest to him on the pitch. I know this is a controversial choice, but I think in games like Bournemouth and Sheff Utd, Davies would have been a good unofficial captain or player, fresh from some good wins for ENgland U21 - certainly better than Schneiderlin.

2) TACTICS
Can Brands not direct him to consider a new formation which is more suited tot he players? As his boss, doesn't Brands have the responsibility to instruct him a bit? I know this is senstive, as Managers / Coaches get really touchy about being told how to set up the team, but I thought a DoF is supposed to have an overview, and particulary as he is now on the board, Silva has to take suggestions or questions from Brands seriously. Point is Schneiderlin doesn't work in any kind of 4-2-3-1 - and Gana made him look better than he is. He's a nice player, but I think just doesn't have the energy, forward drive or speed for a 4-2-3-1, so why doesn't Silva adapt to a 4-3-3 with Davies, Delph and Baningime for now - both of whom would be better than Schneiderlin. The midfield 'pecking order' should be Gomes, JP, Delph, Davies, Beni and then lastly Schneiderlin. ( YEAH I KNOW BENI is a youth player and just back from injury but we need energy and bite more than Schneiderlin has

3) SELECTION
The tweaking of the team has become a bit weird. Earlier this year I thought if we are investing in DCL, then another young striker is a good idea, because they can compete as relative equals rather than a senior striker to come and just overshadow DCL. This is fine to chop and change between Kean and DCL, and make them fight for their place. Iwobi, Walcott, Bernard, Richarlison, Siggy are fighting for the other 3 places, and I just thought that even though Siggy was our best player, this was the best time for Bernard and Iwobi to both play and drop Siggy for a couple of games against Bournemouth and Sheff Utd, where we need more pace on the counter attack. Bernard, Iwobi, Richarilson and DCL or Kean would have worked better, especially when Bernard and Iwobi seem to be full of confidence.

I'm just wondering whether Silva isn't actually a conservative defensive coach and that's why the attacking players aren't clicking.

4) COACHING STAFF
A lot of blame has to go to the assistants. and I hope Brands is checking on their work and skills. I love former players coming back to the club, but ourformer players have never had a winning mentality and postiive or confident outlook as EFC players or staff, so I don't know what they can offer apart from love and passion for the club - which is also important. I hope we have clever coaches.

That's all.

I am, are you? Pretty juvenile to be dismissive of someone posting valid stats to show how underperforming a manager is

You are arguing like a juvenile too. I'm afraid you are not equipped to deal with the big boys. Now run to mummy.

As for the stats, yes, I've every right to be dismissive. They're not comparative stats as the teams could come from the lower leagues and you are not comparing data on a like for like basis.

Lets keep a manager who's a total waste of time because we sacked other useless managers. Boss logic. ;)

Fortunately there are some people here who don't suffer from knee jerk reactions.

We are wasting the money and going backwards if we are continuing to sack managers each time some of our fans have a knee jerk reaction.

Ok lad, why are you blaming the fans??

I am struck by some with negativity and lack of forward thinking.

Of course and we already know that. Question is will they go to Everton. The negativity of our fans will scare any decent manager away.

Do you honestly believe that a strong manager is worried about a few boo boys?

Plus let’s not confuse the reactions on GOT to that of many match going Evertonians. The reactions on here are far more cutting than people inside the ground.

yer mate fat sam and 2 time champions league and multiple league winner jose mourinho are the same

mourinho finished 2nd with basically the same team united have now ( or at least had last season )

if we got him ( which we wont ) he would be the biggest thing to happen to this club in my life time, an absolute genius is jose
Fat sam been managing 20 odd years and to my knowledge has never won anything. Not even an inter toto cup?!?

Just because he trys to play a similar style to Jose doesn't make them at all the same in any way shape or form!

Do you honestly believe that a strong manager is worried about a few boo boys?

Plus let’s not confuse the reactions on GOT to that of many match going Evertonians. The reactions on here are far more cutting than people inside the ground.

I've found the forum to be pretty well representative.

Facebook and Twitter is more scathing than on here...

Also, is the opinion of match going fans any more significant than those that don't go?

More people visited GOT in August than who'll visit Goodison all season. Then, if you consider unique fans, 9/10 tickets are season ticket holders so it's actually a small sample, all considered.

It's OK to sack managers/head coaches because there is a DoF in place; that's one of the reasons for having one. They provide the continuity in this current climate in football.

Everton should try not to sack MS unless it's absolutely necessary. But if it comes to it Brands should be the one making the call to fire and hire.

I note that there are several compromises atm; a young player transfer ban, a DoF with a manager he didn't pick, a manager with really poor players he didn't sign.

It's OK to sack managers/head coaches because there is a DoF in place; that's one of the reasons for having one. They provide the continuity in this current climate in football.

Everton should try not to sack MS unless it's absolutely necessary. But if it comes to it Brands should be the one making the call to fire and hire.

I note that there are several compromises atm; a young player transfer ban, a DoF with a manager he didn't pick, a manager with really poor players he didn't sign.

I don't think we should always wait until the abyss, when things are catastrophic.

Do that, and there's a short window of opportunity to replace the manager.

It's short term thinking, he's either the right man, or he isn't. If Brands thinks he isn't then he should bring in a replacement when he can, doesnt matter if we've won or lost the previous 3-5 games on the spin.

I've found the forum to be pretty well representative.

Facebook and Twitter is more scathing than on here...

Also, is the opinion of match going fans any more significant than those that don't go?

More people visited GOT in August than who'll visit Goodison all season. Then, if you consider unique fans, 9/10 tickets are season ticket holders so it's actually a small sample, all considered.

I’m not suggesting anybody’s opinions are less valid, just that from my experiences of what I hear at the match to what I hear here are different. Everything is scrutinised to the absolute maximum on here, not quite the same in the ground IMO.

I’m not suggesting anybody’s opinions are less valid, just that from my experiences of what I hear at the match to what I hear here are different. Everything is scrutinised to the absolute maximum on here, not quite the same in the ground IMO.

Really? I find it the other way.

Maybe it's just the Park End...

Status
Not open for further replies.