New Everton Stadium Discussion

If it was designed in from the start, then cost per seat for those extra 5000 seats would likely be between 8 and 9000 pounds per seat, so it'd actually cost something in the order of 40 to 45 million rather than 150 million

Source : Partly standard industry pricing, and also worked out on the basis that the budget being talked about for BMD is ~ 500 million, with ~ 100 million set aside for preparation works because of the nature of the site. So, once the site's setup, it's costing ~ 400 million for 52,000 seats, which is about 7,700 quid per seat

Your 2 million a year is probably not far off though, so, unless you know with a reasonable degree of certainty that you'll sell those extra 5000 seats, week in, week out without heavy discounting, then, without European football and long cup runs, purely from a financial perspective, it's hard to make a case for the extra seats in phase one of any development. It's all a bit chicken and egg, but, if we become successful on the pitch, then the goalposts, and the size of the stands, move.

Of course 150m wasnt a realistic figure.

And if its a case of another 50m for a 2m a year, then MAYBE its worthwhile, MAYBE.

Meis has spoken of wanting the ground full every week, I cant see any reason we wouldnt sell 52k most weeks, but theres honestly no financial reason to build those extra 5k seats.

I worked out the 2 million based on the current Season Tickets prices.

5,000 x 489 = so thats currently 2.4m.

Of course prices will no doubt increase.

But the real money maker from the new stadium will be in the form of custom-built lounges, ranging from ya champagne and oysters, to ya beer and a pint. Naming rights, which will help pay and will make money after its all bought and paid.

I part understand the people who want a higher capacity, cos it will "make" us more money in the long run, what I dont understand is the penis envy people who judge our stadium next to the rest of the league, in some cases they even measure our stadium against other stadiums that teams in this league dont even own yet. It baffles me. I do understand this will be our home for the next 50-100 years, but I cant imagine it will be built without the ability to increase it at some point, despite whats been said.

I just want the thing built, what some people dont realise is that whilst we are paying for the stadium, we will have less money to spend on other things, like players, wages and the like, so if saving 50-150m means we pay off the loans earlier, it means we can get back to spending money on things that matter, for me an extra 5k seats or an extra few inches wont really matter.

To be honest I'm not, i was for 24 hours after i seen it, but in reality, its just a new ground, its a cup win we need, that's all that really matters right now, how embarrassing would it be to move there in 4 years time having won nothing for over 20 years
Its a league win we need, where did our standards go?

Inappropriate Language
Evertonians and Ambition do not belong in the same sentence.

FFS.

12 months ago it was 60k
Now they have released the (ambitious!!) 52k plans all dreams have been squashed accordingly.

I want 60K+ every day and don’t give a flying [Poor language removed] what anyone else has to say. It has to be a minimum imo

Of course 150m wasnt a realistic figure.

And if its a case of another 50m for a 2m a year, then MAYBE its worthwhile, MAYBE.

Meis has spoken of wanting the ground full every week, I cant see any reason we wouldnt sell 52k most weeks, but theres honestly no financial reason to build those extra 5k seats.

I worked out the 2 million based on the current Season Tickets prices.

5,000 x 489 = so thats currently 2.4m.

Of course prices will no doubt increase.

But the real money maker from the new stadium will be in the form of custom-built lounges, ranging from ya champagne and oysters, to ya beer and a pint. Naming rights, which will help pay and will make money after its all bought and paid.

I part understand the people who want a higher capacity, cos it will "make" us more money in the long run, what I dont understand is the penis envy people who judge our stadium next to the rest of the league, in some cases they even measure our stadium against other stadiums that teams in this league dont even own yet. It baffles me. I do understand this will be our home for the next 50-100 years, but I cant imagine it will be built without the ability to increase it at some point, despite whats been said.

I just want the thing built, what some people dont realise is that whilst we are paying for the stadium, we will have less money to spend on other things, like players, wages and the like, so if saving 50-150m means we pay off the loans earlier, it means we can get back to spending money on things that matter, for me an extra 5k seats or an extra few inches wont really matter.

Likelihood the extra 5000 seats would be general sale tickets, so that is (5000 x 48) x 19 = £4,560,000 a year without any cup games. Of course that doesn't allow for kids/OAP's so you can probably knock 25% off that figure taking it to around 3 and a half million if consistently sold out. These seats would pay for themselves within a period of 13-14 years once interest is included and when that happens that is money in the bank.

I can't help go back to the short sightedness of the Park End situation where it would have cost another 2 odd million to build a second tier, but they baulked and we have lost a rough estimate of nearly 100 million in income because of it.

I believe it is more than just penis envy it stands at the root of everything, are we going to have the ambition to try and be the best we can or are we going to make it comfortable for ourselves? A 12k increase after you deduct the premium seating means there is going to be around 8000 extra seats and moving from a consistently full stadium for an extra 8k doesn't feel like we are going to satisfy that general demand. That means you'll end up with an aging audience and the atmosphere will decrease accordingly. If kids can't get to the game here but due to the 15th tacked on extension next door means they can there, then we could lose future match going Evertonians.

I don't think many of us see us having more seats than Arsenal now, so we will have a smaller stadium than most of our rivals esp. when City and the RS expand. But we should be in the ballpark. 8 to 10,000 seats smaller than these clubs is a lot. We have struggled to compete against these clubs when we had one of the bigger stadiums. If we lose our sugar daddy we may end up playing in a nice stadium but still in the exact same position of being unable to realistically compete. If we could get to 57-58k, then you could say as we are only 3-5k down on our rivals we are in that 'ballpark'. I think most of us would accept 55k now.

I agree with the fact that we just want it built now!

Likelihood the extra 5000 seats would be general sale tickets, so that is (5000 x 48) x 19 = £4,560,000 a year without any cup games. Of course that doesn't allow for kids/OAP's so you can probably knock 25% off that figure taking it to around 3 and a half million if consistently sold out. These seats would pay for themselves within a period of 13-14 years once interest is included and when that happens that is money in the bank.

I can't help go back to the short sightedness of the Park End situation where it would have cost another 2 odd million to build a second tier, but they baulked and we have lost a rough estimate of nearly 100 million in income because of it.

I believe it is more than just penis envy it stands at the root of everything, are we going to have the ambition to try and be the best we can or are we going to make it comfortable for ourselves? A 12k increase after you deduct the premium seating means there is going to be around 8000 extra seats and moving from a consistently full stadium for an extra 8k doesn't feel like we are going to satisfy that general demand. That means you'll end up with an aging audience and the atmosphere will decrease accordingly. If kids can't get to the game here but due to the 15th tacked on extension next door means they can there, then we could lose future match going Evertonians.

I don't think many of us see us having more seats than Arsenal now, so we will have a smaller stadium than most of our rivals esp. when City and the RS expand. But we should be in the ballpark. 8 to 10,000 seats smaller than these clubs is a lot. We have struggled to compete against these clubs when we had one of the bigger stadiums. If we lose our sugar daddy we may end up playing in a nice stadium but still in the exact same position of being unable to realistically compete. If we could get to 57-58k, then you could say as we are only 3-5k down on our rivals we are in that 'ballpark'. I think most of us would accept 55k now.

I agree with the fact that we just want it built now!
“If consistently sold out” is a pretty big assumption though.

A large and vibrant spectator participation is essential for advertisers; viewers can tell the difference between a 50 or a 60,000 thousand
ground and if that ground is bouncing and atmospheric then the club can command better rates and fees. That in turn attracts a better type of player.
and the virtuous circle starts again.

Plus no major European club has a paltry 52,000 capacity.

I have no doubt that if EFC won the League and things got back to where they should be then EFC could fill a 60,000 stadium. If Moshiri wants
to be at the top then he cannot plan for the also-ran spots and a big stadium is essential. At 52,000 we would be on a par with NUFC and WHU not
MUFC or for that matter LFC or THFC.

EFC have to plan for success and that means a 60,000+ stadium.
There not going for 60k because we wouldn't fill it.
It looks stupid for a home game when there are 10,000 empty seats.

Plus a lot of fans can barley afford the season ticket hence the low prices and concessions.
The top 6 have people jetting in from all over the world and the only way they can get tickets is through hospitality, a lot of companies also wine and dine their clients there.
We're not at that level.

Empty seats also means tickets for big games going on general sale and membership numbers going down.

The club isn't stupid they know exactly what the demand is

He referenced Lime Street in his presentation the other week.

I think it was more of a tongue in cheek dig at dealing with a english council and contractors like 'f me I've really hit lime street here'. Borderline racist if you ask me.

“If consistently sold out” is a pretty big assumption though.

It is but considering the waiting list, the fact that current season ticket holders might want a family member to go with them now and the new buzz of a stadium it really isn't that much of a push. If you get europa then instantly there is at least another 3 home games to make any slight drop off's in attendance for some of the games.

It is a case of damned what you do either way. Too big and you have paid more than you should have to build it and service the cost. Too small and you are just losing income every match that could be used for another player's salary. I have no problem if there is a couple of hundred seats unsold for some games. Least that is a sign of pushing boundaries, sell out every game and you have failed as a business to plan appropriately. What's the point in having a marketing team if it fills by default? And when a business does that they get comfortable and the culture becomes one of not having to strive to hit targets.

It is but considering the waiting list, the fact that current season ticket holders might want a family member to go with them now and the new buzz of a stadium it really isn't that much of a push. If you get europa then instantly there is at least another 3 home games to make any slight drop off's in attendance for some of the games.

It is a case of damned what you do either way. Too big and you have paid more than you should have to build it and service the cost. Too small and you are just losing income every match that could be used for another player's salary. I have no problem if there is a couple of hundred seats unsold for some games. Least that is a sign of pushing boundaries, sell out every game and you have failed as a business to plan appropriately. What's the point in having a marketing team if it fills by default? And when a business does that they get comfortable and the culture becomes one of not having to strive to hit targets.
I'd be interested to know what the "waiting list to purchase conversion rate" is, but it'll be miles off 100%

Adding an extra 18k seats (to go to 57k) is a very nearly 50% increase on our current gates... when we don't entirely sell out EVERY game right now (or are only right on the boundary of it, at best).

I'd really like a bigger stadium, but only if we sell it out. Empty seats are the biggest atmosphere killer around.

There not going for 60k because we wouldn't fill it.
It looks stupid for a home game when there are 10,000 empty seats.

Plus a lot of fans can barley afford the season ticket hence the low prices and concessions.
The top 6 have people jetting in from all over the world and the only way they can get tickets is through hospitality, a lot of companies also wine and dine their clients there.
We're not at that level.

Empty seats also means tickets for big games going on general sale and membership numbers going down.

The club isn't stupid they know exactly what the demand is

We would easily sell out a 55k ground which is what most want - we've already sold our 4500 allocation in the league cup against Sheff Wed.