How much more time should Silva be given?

How long should he be given?

• Press conference today at 2pm

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Monday 9am

Votes: 110 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the point having that outlook?

Because identifying areas for improvement, recognising and addressing weaknesses is important. It's important that we align our expectations with the limitations of the team. So that we know what a good season looks like, what an average season looks like and what a bad season looks like.

And on a forum such as this, being 'persistently positive' in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary has absolutely no bearing on the performance of the team whatsoever, in my humble opinion.

I find debating potential areas for improvement far more interesting than collectively celebrating already-agreed areas of strength.

You seem to get incredibly defensive at any notion that this team is anything other than well managed and well-stocked with talented Footballers. We are blameless in defeat, unfortunate in draws and utterly superior in victory. Any suggestion otherwise is met with aggressive defence.

Your way of thinking is yours and it's absolutely fine, it works for you and I'm sure it has it's merits in your personal life too. I certainly mean no harm in the way I approach any conversation, put it that way. I'm certainly not setting out to 'perturb' anyone.

I think the reasoning with keeping Morgan is that there is no one with the same skill set as him at the club apart from Gbamin.
Delph played well there yesterday but holding or defensive mid is not his natural position
As weird as it may seem we actually are tight on numbers now. We do not have that many central midfielders and we saw recently how easily it could have become a problem and could still do.

I think Silva knew there were a couple of players that would be needed in his squad even though in an ideal world they would have been moved on.

Because identifying areas for improvement, recognising and addressing weaknesses is important. It's important that we align our expectations with the limitations of the team. So that we know what a good season looks like, what an average season looks like and what a bad season looks like.

And on a forum such as this, being 'persistently positive' in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary has absolutely no bearing on the performance of the team whatsoever, in my humble opinion.

I find debating potential areas for improvement far more interesting than collectively celebrating already-agreed areas of strength.

You seem to get incredibly defensive at any notion that this team is anything other than well managed and well-stocked with talented Footballers. We are blameless in defeat, unfortunate in draws and utterly superior in victory. Any suggestion otherwise is met with aggressive defence.

Your way of thinking is yours and it's absolutely fine, it works for you and I'm sure it has it's merits in your personal life too. I certainly mean no harm in the way I approach any conversation, put it that way. I'm certainly not setting out to 'perturb' anyone.

What “overwhelming evidence to the contrary” is there right now?

The problem is, unless we’re putting in absolutely flawless performances week in week out, people are going to moan and have a go. It’s not our job as fans to identify every single little problem and make it the main focus of discussion even when we’re winning games.

I’ve also never once suggested we’re blameless in defeat, I’ve been as angry as anyone on here after games we’ve lost. But we weren’t defeated, we won a game deservedly against a side who are among our our direct rivals in the league. I’m not going to lose sleep over the fact we allowed them to have some shots at goal, because it’s football and that’s going to happen.

What “overwhelming evidence to the contrary” is there right now?

The problem is, unless we’re putting in absolutely flawless performances week in week out, people are going to moan and have a go. It’s not our job as fans to identify every single little problem and make it the main focus of discussion even when we’re winning games.

I’ve also never once suggested we’re blameless in defeat, I’ve been as angry as anyone on here after games we’ve lost. But we weren’t defeated, we won a game deservedly against a side who are among our our direct rivals in the league. I’m not going to lose sleep over the fact we allowed them to have some shots at goal, because it’s football and that’s going to happen.

He’s right Mike that you seem to take it personally when Silva gets criticised, within minutes of our win you had quoted a load of people moaning during the game. Why not enjoy the win? Contrary to GOT opinion, we aren’t any different to any other fanbase with moaning during a match thread. At all. Seriously, go and check virtually any other club forum. Yes there are some creatures in here, but my initial reaction within seconds would never be to buzz off someone who was wrong on the Internet after a good win.

I’m glad that we as a fanbase haven’t just accepted Silva is the Second Coming, things are looking much rosier, but this is still the same manager who last season went 17 games with just 3 wins (that’s nearly Half a Season), the same manager who rates DCL as good enough for a top six pushing side, the same manager who has a very poor away record in England which he needs to improve a lot, the same manager who has persisted with out of form favourites, and the same manager who makes some horrible, poorly timed subs.

People become so entrenched in their thinking, you quoted me predicting I didn’t think we’d win yesterday, am pretty sure you were predicting a stellar January for us last year. (If it wasn’t you, apologies) As far as I’m concerned the jury is well and truly out on Silva, and there are a lot of question marks over him, and believe it or not, I am Desperate for him to be a success at Everton. Twenty Five Years without a Cup needs rectifying.

Big test for Silva this year, We have a team that should threaten top 6 & be looking for some silverware this year....

Although we still maybe 2/3 players short, Silva has a big year & big expectations let's hope he can come up with the goods & give us all the hope we are craving for.

A top 6 finish & a good cup run is the least we should be aiming for...

Big test for Silva this year, We have a team that should threaten top 6 & be looking for some silverware this year....

Although we still maybe 2/3 players short, Silva has a big year & big expectations let's hope he can come up with the goods & give us all the hope we are craving for.

A top 6 finish & a good cup run is the least we should be aiming for...

And, a win against the RS.

Unless we are going to be relegated, I don't see any point to chopping and changing the manager, we have done too much of that lately, which has left us with about 15 players we didn't want and we have had to try and move them on, which we have moved about 10 on, but we still have about 5 more we could move out today and no one would be too sad.

Give the manager some time please, at least till the middle of the season before you're ready to hang him out to dry.

Under him we have won 2 out of 4 this season and have won the last 6 at home. We are currently joint 4th in the table. People need to chill out

I think it goes without saying that it hasn't been the start to the season that we all hoped for. But calls for Silva's head so early in the season are not just farcical but also completely unwarranted.

No we haven't hit the heights that we were expecting, but neither have we been the total disaster that a lot of people are saying. I prefer to rely on what my eyes tell me rather than use stats, but I'll make an exception in this case because the stats back up what I am seeing.

In the 3 opening games I have seen us pretty much control large portions of the games, look generally sound defensively throughout, and create enough quality chances to comfortably see off the opposition in all 3 games. Had we scored just a small percentage of the very good opportunities that came our way when we were in control of games, we could be sitting there on 9 points now, and nobody could argue that we didn't deserve it. I don't think many Everton fan's would be getting carried away with the situation either because it's clear that our football hasn't exactly been scintillating. Overall we have been sound defensively, our problem has been an inability to score when we have been controlling games. It isn't just one player either, half a dozen of them have missed one or more clear cut opportunity. People go on about Villa being a pub team and favourites to get relegated. Last week they totally battered Bournemouth for 60 minutes, had 22 attempts, 7 on target. That is more chances than Everton have conceded in all 3 games this season. Yet they still lost.

The stats back me up. We had 60% average possession over the 3 games we've played so far. Yes I know it's what you do with it that counts, but it belies all the posters saying we have been getting overrun in games. Nobody has conceded fewer chances than Everton, 21 across all 3 games with just 7 on target. The closest to us is Man City with 25 but the rest have ranged from 30 to 55. Arsenal are one of the worst at 52, yet they're sitting pretty at third in the table. Numerous people have commented that we have been lucky that we have Pickford in goal and have relied far too heavily in him this season. Oh yes?. Well Pickford has made just 5 saves so far this season, that's less than every other keeper in the league.

On the attacking front, we have created 34 chances. There are 8 teams who have created fewer, and most of the rest have created similar number other than the usual suspects like Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs and United. The difference is the number of shots on target. We have only worked the keeper 6 times in 3 matches, with a measly 17% attempts on target. Only Leicester are lower on 16% with the likes of Norwich and Palace running at over 50%.. Once again I'll use Arsenal as an example. They have created fewer chances than us (32) but managed to get 44% on target.

Bottom line here is that our shot conversion is our achilles heel. I'd be a lot more concerned if we weren't creating chances or even if we were conceding goals like we were at the beginning of last season. I'd also be a more concerned if we weren't just 3 games into the season, had a number of players not match fit due to playing tournament football in the summer, and were not still in the process of introducing new players into the matchday team.

If we're struggling at the wrong end of the table come mid November, with the difficult December fixture list to come, then I could understand the sort of comments that we're seeing on here at the moment. But not at the moment.

I would also question those of you clambering for the likes of Kean and Iwobi to be starting games. I want to see them too but we don't know the players fitness levels as well as Silva and his coaching staff. We've just witnessed first hand what can happen when you throw somebody into the fold before they are ready. Gbamin had hardly any pre season but was thrown in due to injury and suspensions, and now he's out for 8 weeks. Imagine if that happened to Kean?

Brilliantly written mate, my thoughts exactly! Bet there's less moaning in here after yesterday... COYB ;)

I think it goes without saying that it hasn't been the start to the season that we all hoped for. But calls for Silva's head so early in the season are not just farcical but also completely unwarranted.

No we haven't hit the heights that we were expecting, but neither have we been the total disaster that a lot of people are saying. I prefer to rely on what my eyes tell me rather than use stats, but I'll make an exception in this case because the stats back up what I am seeing.

In the 3 opening games I have seen us pretty much control large portions of the games, look generally sound defensively throughout, and create enough quality chances to comfortably see off the opposition in all 3 games. Had we scored just a small percentage of the very good opportunities that came our way when we were in control of games, we could be sitting there on 9 points now, and nobody could argue that we didn't deserve it. I don't think many Everton fan's would be getting carried away with the situation either because it's clear that our football hasn't exactly been scintillating. Overall we have been sound defensively, our problem has been an inability to score when we have been controlling games. It isn't just one player either, half a dozen of them have missed one or more clear cut opportunity. People go on about Villa being a pub team and favourites to get relegated. Last week they totally battered Bournemouth for 60 minutes, had 22 attempts, 7 on target. That is more chances than Everton have conceded in all 3 games this season. Yet they still lost.

The stats back me up. We had 60% average possession over the 3 games we've played so far. Yes I know it's what you do with it that counts, but it belies all the posters saying we have been getting overrun in games. Nobody has conceded fewer chances than Everton, 21 across all 3 games with just 7 on target. The closest to us is Man City with 25 but the rest have ranged from 30 to 55. Arsenal are one of the worst at 52, yet they're sitting pretty at third in the table. Numerous people have commented that we have been lucky that we have Pickford in goal and have relied far too heavily in him this season. Oh yes?. Well Pickford has made just 5 saves so far this season, that's less than every other keeper in the league.

On the attacking front, we have created 34 chances. There are 8 teams who have created fewer, and most of the rest have created similar number other than the usual suspects like Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs and United. The difference is the number of shots on target. We have only worked the keeper 6 times in 3 matches, with a measly 17% attempts on target. Only Leicester are lower on 16% with the likes of Norwich and Palace running at over 50%.. Once again I'll use Arsenal as an example. They have created fewer chances than us (32) but managed to get 44% on target.

Bottom line here is that our shot conversion is our achilles heel. I'd be a lot more concerned if we weren't creating chances or even if we were conceding goals like we were at the beginning of last season. I'd also be a more concerned if we weren't just 3 games into the season, had a number of players not match fit due to playing tournament football in the summer, and were not still in the process of introducing new players into the matchday team.

If we're struggling at the wrong end of the table come mid November, with the difficult December fixture list to come, then I could understand the sort of comments that we're seeing on here at the moment. But not at the moment.

I would also question those of you clambering for the likes of Kean and Iwobi to be starting games. I want to see them too but we don't know the players fitness levels as well as Silva and his coaching staff. We've just witnessed first hand what can happen when you throw somebody into the fold before they are ready. Gbamin had hardly any pre season but was thrown in due to injury and suspensions, and now he's out for 8 weeks. Imagine if that happened to Kean?
Great post mate.

I think the reasoning with keeping Morgan is that there is no one with the same skill set as him at the club apart from Gbamin.
Delph played well there yesterday but holding or defensive mid is not his natural position

Agreed but he did play a blinder and think it'll become his role for the foreseeable future now!

Delph was outstanding yesterday, I was torn between him and Richarlison for MoM but went for the latter due to his massive upturn in performance and goals. It would be nice if he would smile a bit more though.
Personally, I just don't see what MS brings to the table, he isn't a ball winner, he's slow, rarely puts a tackle in but is excellent at 5-10 yard sideways passes and playing wack a mole, judging by his ground punching exploits on the pitch.
We look so much more fluid going forward when he isn't in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.