How much more time should Silva be given?

How long should he be given?

• Press conference today at 2pm

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Monday 9am

Votes: 110 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Even after only 3 games, there's never a bad time to ask why we are playing shight
I was bemoaning our lack of intensity before Klopp 'invented' it and gave it a fancy germanic name. Rogers was playing it in 2013-14 if not before.

We managed to match them in the 3-3 Derby, early in Martinez's reign, before Moyes's fitness wore off...due to, IMO, Martinez's - Dave Whelan-esque, 'did you know I have a certificate in Physiotherapy'...I've got a driving licence, but nobody in their right mind would let me near a top end rally car, or even a formula 2

Anyway, back to now. System and Players, which comes first?

Have we fallen into the classic Director of Football trap?

Brands seems good at getting 'bargains', but is more required of The Coach than to say - 'you're the coach, 'kin coach them'. With the unspoken - or we'll find somebody who can.

Like **** nearly said...'As soon as I hear the word Philosophy, I reach for the safety catch on my pistol'. Or in modern terms...the Uber app on my phone.

Is Silva part of the solution or the problem, 3 games maybe a tad early to see. But there's going to be a lot more than 39,000 looking to see if he can find a (Winning) system that fits the players he has.

And Lincoln would be a good place to start, nobody is burnt out, so nobody needs resting, if anything they're all under done.

The rest of the season starts here...and it would be good if it ended once, if not twice, at Wembley. Martinez got the sack for losing 2 semi finals. Silva would get cheeered to the echo...That's how shight we are and its NOT too early to say it.

Any of this oft quoted Footballing Einsteinism of repeating your actions - and its Pistol, 5 letters, starts with 'L', rhymes with Uber' time, aka the bullet.

Brands has the cushiest job in football. If he Signs players, he’s a genius, if he doesn’t sign players it’s not his fault. If Marco does well it’s all down to Brands, if Marco does bad it’s all down to Marco.
I’m not a Silva fan but Brands needs to have some kind of accountability too.

Going to go full on Zatman here (Cape,Mask,Tights the whole kit and caboodle)

When Silva has his own squad with his own players then it will be time to judge him.
He is still left with remnants of Moyes,Koeman/Walsh and Allardyce squads to work with
Pickford ,Coleman,Keane,Siggy .Schneiderlin are not players signed by him
That's nearly half a team
I am not saying he doesnt fancy them all .but not all will be in his ideal starting 11
Pickford
?????? ?????????/Mina Digne
Gbamin /????????
??????
Ricarlison Kean Bernard /Iwobi

Thats 4 positions that still need to be filled and judging by this summer transfer activity then
Its Zaha or similar for the right with Richarlison back on the left
Docoure or similar for midfield
Zouma or similar for CB
A new RB
A new No10 ( or maybe Iwobi )
One would hope that next JAN / Summer that those 3 or 4 first team players would be signed with more players leaving to free up wages .
Then we can judge Silva because it will be his team and his players on the pitch

Going to change the outfit to full on yank now

We are still in transition and still have a bit of a mess to clear up before we can judge how silva is doing and how his playbooks work out

People say that but he still won trophies everywhere he went including Utd.

I would chop my hand off for one or two trophies and the guaranteed 7th minimum placed finishes that he would guarantee us.

He spent about 500m quid and won the league cup and europa league. Years ago his style of play worked. He's stood still imo and would do even worse now at a club with no open cheque book.

. I prefer to rely on what my eyes tell me rather than use stats, but I'll make an exception in this case because the stats back up what I am seeing.
Be careful Fred
Those stat merchants will see you as an easy target to indoctrinate into the devilish ways
You will be bombarded with XG,XA ,XGC Heat Maps and riding the bench in zone 14 stats for days on end
Thats without even mentioning inverted wingers,outside backs,inverted midfield triangles ,inside forwards ,false 9s and other such stuff

Sensible post by the way.

I think it goes without saying that it hasn't been the start to the season that we all hoped for. But calls for Silva's head so early in the season are not just farcical but also completely unwarranted.

No we haven't hit the heights that we were expecting, but neither have we been the total disaster that a lot of people are saying. I prefer to rely on what my eyes tell me rather than use stats, but I'll make an exception in this case because the stats back up what I am seeing.

In the 3 opening games I have seen us pretty much control large portions of the games, look generally sound defensively throughout, and create enough quality chances to comfortably see off the opposition in all 3 games. Had we scored just a small percentage of the very good opportunities that came our way when we were in control of games, we could be sitting there on 9 points now, and nobody could argue that we didn't deserve it. I don't think many Everton fan's would be getting carried away with the situation either because it's clear that our football hasn't exactly been scintillating. Overall we have been sound defensively, our problem has been an inability to score when we have been controlling games. It isn't just one player either, half a dozen of them have missed one or more clear cut opportunity. People go on about Villa being a pub team and favourites to get relegated. Last week they totally battered Bournemouth for 60 minutes, had 22 attempts, 7 on target. That is more chances than Everton have conceded in all 3 games this season. Yet they still lost.

The stats back me up. We had 60% average possession over the 3 games we've played so far. Yes I know it's what you do with it that counts, but it belies all the posters saying we have been getting overrun in games. Nobody has conceded fewer chances than Everton, 21 across all 3 games with just 7 on target. The closest to us is Man City with 25 but the rest have ranged from 30 to 55. Arsenal are one of the worst at 52, yet they're sitting pretty at third in the table. Numerous people have commented that we have been lucky that we have Pickford in goal and have relied far too heavily in him this season. Oh yes?. Well Pickford has made just 5 saves so far this season, that's less than every other keeper in the league.

On the attacking front, we have created 34 chances. There are 8 teams who have created fewer, and most of the rest have created similar number other than the usual suspects like Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs and United. The difference is the number of shots on target. We have only worked the keeper 6 times in 3 matches, with a measly 17% attempts on target. Only Leicester are lower on 16% with the likes of Norwich and Palace running at over 50%.. Once again I'll use Arsenal as an example. They have created fewer chances than us (32) but managed to get 44% on target.

Bottom line here is that our shot conversion is our achilles heel. I'd be a lot more concerned if we weren't creating chances or even if we were conceding goals like we were at the beginning of last season. I'd also be a more concerned if we weren't just 3 games into the season, had a number of players not match fit due to playing tournament football in the summer, and were not still in the process of introducing new players into the matchday team.

If we're struggling at the wrong end of the table come mid November, with the difficult December fixture list to come, then I could understand the sort of comments that we're seeing on here at the moment. But not at the moment.

I would also question those of you clambering for the likes of Kean and Iwobi to be starting games. I want to see them too but we don't know the players fitness levels as well as Silva and his coaching staff. We've just witnessed first hand what can happen when you throw somebody into the fold before they are ready. Gbamin had hardly any pre season but was thrown in due to injury and suspensions, and now he's out for 8 weeks. Imagine if that happened to Kean?

Great stuff mate

Status
Not open for further replies.