2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t taking great set pieces, through balls & long shots with either foot kinda showing superb technique though?

May as well have kept Rooney if that’s what we class as superb technique now.

How about a player that can take a ball under pressure and spin away from opposition midfielders, can dribble under control at pace, can beat opposition players with trickery, can dictate the tempo of the game through passing range, can adapt to numerous tactical systems. Siggurdson has none of these things. The highlight of his technical skill is a flashy drag back in the Leicester game.

How about a player that can take a ball under pressure and spin away from opposition midfielders, can dribble under control at pace, can beat opposition players with trickery, can dictate the tempo of the game through passing range, can adapt to numerous tactical systems. Siggurdson has none of these things. The highlight of his technical skill is a flashy drag back in the Leicester game.

All I’m saying is you can do that you still have superb technique. You can’t hit balls like he can and say he has poor technique. You’re just getting mad about a ridiculously subjective term.

All I’m saying is you can do that you still have superb technique. You can’t hit balls like he can and say he has poor technique. You’re just getting mad about a ridiculously subjective term.

Yeah but there’s loads of players who can hit a ball well but you wouldn’t want them playing in midfield for you. Hitzlsperger had an absolute rocket on him. Bilyaletdinov could hit them, Dean Windass had a decent piledriver on him. I wouldn’t describe any as having great technique.

In fact there’s lots of parallels between Bilyaletdinov and Siggurdson yet one is revered whilst the other was rightly punted for offering nothing except the odd blammo from distance.

have you seen the vid from last season of him creating loads of brilliant opportunities spurned by our wanton strike force. If so I dont know how you come to this conclusion. I read your comment fully expecting an ironic statement at the end in italics - because he has all these sjkills.....

Now that's just ridiculous. When we were getting dominated by Spurs at home last year, he was the ONLY one playing. Practically willed us back into that game himself. That goal he scored two years ago against Southampton when we were getting played off the pitch was another example when we were stinking as a team and he elevated him game. He scores a TON against the big 6.

Against Villa he was very good. One of the only ones to create anything, partially because he played deeper and saw the ball more. His back heel pass sprung Richy for what should've been a penalty, he gave Richarlison the ball several times in dangerous spots, he played Coleman in through at one point as well. So the rest of the team may have been poor - really it was mostly Gomes that was poor - but he wasn't.
STOP capitalising random words for EFFECT.

Inappropriate Content
I agree, it doesn't tell you much. DCL had like 12 passes to him the entire game and only got 2 touches in the box. Interestingly enough, he got WAY more passes to him against Villa than he did against anyone else. He received 3 passes against Watford. 3. But Sigurdsson only got 7 against Watford because he was playing as a second striker, so these things have to be understood within context.

I also recognize Richy is out of form, but that's the side Gylfi was playing on. Marco had him WAY over to the right both deeper to help with building out of the back and overloading that side to work with Coleman and Richarlison. I mean, the guy sprung Richy for what should've been a PEN, played Coleman through wide open, made some pretty nice smart passes to get Richy out in the open, a couple that turned into shots - not good ones, but shots nonetheless, he was pretty good playing deeper. Got a lot more touches, too. We created little as a team in the first half, yet he was clearly disproportionately responsible for what was created.

Conversely, Bernard had 5 forward passes the entire game and completed 3. Does that mean he wasn't any good? Maybe. Is he a bad player? Of course not. But he got the ball just as much as Sigurdsson did and did much less than what Siggy did with it. But for some reason Siggy gets killed for it. Just seems like a double standard.
Image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.