2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point with players like Naismith is that everyone can see their limitations. You just can't afford to carry players like that if you want top 4, no matter how hard they work.
I don't think the club is wittingly and knowingly 'carrying' players; DCL isn't without his limitations and that's clear to see for all but the most naive of fan.

Nevertheless, he also has a fair few strengths that have arguably contributed to our successful play at the end of the season: hold up play and movement et al.

Yes he is a striker and his finishing, alongside the number of chances he gets into, need to improve, however the whole 'Championship' talk is nonsense.

If he doesn't improve over the next year or two then I am sure he'll be moved on by Brands and co. rather than 'carried' as some people may suggest.

Additionally, if he wasn't liked and we could have got another striker in then I am sure we will have. We can only about what we have and can see.

I don't think the club is wittingly and knowingly 'carrying' players; DCL isn't without his limitations and that's clear to see for all but the most naive of fan.

Nevertheless, he also has a fair few strengths that have arguably contributed to our successful play at the end of the season: hold up play and movement et al.

Yes he is a striker and his finishing, alongside the number of chances he gets into, need to improve, however the whole 'Championship' talk is nonsense.

If he doesn't improve over the next year or two then I am sure he'll be moved on by Brands and co. rather than 'carried' as some people may suggest.

Additionally, if he wasn't liked and we could have got another striker in then I am sure we will have. We can only about what we have and can see.

I think I use the word carry because there are games when these hardworking, industrious players are found out and they are passengers within the team. Nobody really knows how DCL would do in the Championship. Right now, he benefits from being a hard working forward in a good Premier League team. Naismith and Anichebe didn´t set the world alight at lesser clubs at a lower level, could be the same with DCL.

...at the moment he’s the club’s first choice striker, but we all hope/expect Kean to take over that mantle. Regardless, it still leaves DCL ahead of Tosun and any other CF we have. We won’t be moving him on anytime soon, and certainly not until Tosun is shifted and we bring in one or two who leapfrog DCL in the pecking order.

He’ll still be a very useful squad player for Silva.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin regarding repaying Brands faith in him and competition with Moise Kean "I just think I’ve got to keep doing what I’ve been doing"

Erm no Dom, you obviously need to not do what you have been doing and to actually start scoring goals because that is what your job is first and foremost and 11 goals in 3 years is nowhere near good enough and is going to be no competition for Moise Kean whatsoever.

Too much mollycoddling and performance elevation by the Everton Hierarchy has gone to his head and is not doing him any favours at all.

Don't see anyone at this point in time who has tactical nouse or fitness to work the back line like Lewin. Its that simple... A striker just scoring goals has long gone, the game has moved on.

He's Silva's Naismith - limited player who gets game time because he runs around alot.

However it must be said DCL doesn't pick himself - you're making me hate Bambi Marco stop picking him ahead of an actual goalscorer.

Naismith scored a hat trick against Chelsea, if Dom does that, then you can compare him to Naismith. Also Naismith rarely played up front on his own, he more often played behind a striker or out wide, so I think the comparison is a strange one. Silva wants all the players to run around, track back etc. This was very much the "David Moyes" philosophy as well, which is why we often turned 20 goal a season strikers into 10 goal a season strikers

Naismith scored a hat trick against Chelsea, if Dom does that, then you can compare him to Naismith. Also Naismith rarely played up front on his own, he more often played behind a striker or out wide, so I think the comparison is a strange one. Silva wants all the players to run around, track back etc. This was very much the "David Moyes" philosophy as well, which is why we often turned 20 goal a season strikers into 10 goal a season strikers

Its a pressing game we play. Chase and close down, and it starts with the forward line.

Simple fact is, at what premier league club would he start?

After you realise it is no-one but Everton, which premier league club would he make the bench as their back up striker?

After you realise it is no-one but Everton, what they hell are we doing? He is 22, played 80 games, scored about 9 goals. He isnt a kid, he isn't a prospect, he is closing in on his full potential - which is low-level championship.

I have nothing against the lad, but I genuinely would rather have Straqularsi or Marcus Bent - that's how bad he is. Saying that 3 managers have picked him, they must see something in training. My theory is that he looks sound in training when no-one will tackle him or go in 100% and he is a terrified little Bambi when up against Premier League defenders going in tough on him.

Of the attributes a striker needs, is he better than 4/10 in ANY of them? Someone name me a stat is 5+/10 in, at premier league level.

Aguero - finishing 9
Callum Wilson - finishing 6
DCL - finishing 2

Although sort of depends how many goals they're scoring. A striker that just scores 20+ goals a season is still pretty handy

A striker with good ability with the ball at his feet is always a bonus too. I acknowledge he can work the line very well, especially against the top teams, but that's not enough for our ambitions.

After you realise it is no-one but Everton, which premier league club would he make the bench as their back up striker?

After you realise it is no-one but Everton, what they hell are we doing? He is 22, played 80 games, scored about 9 goals. He isnt a kid, he isn't a prospect, he is closing in on his full potential - which is low-level championship.

I have nothing against the lad, but I genuinely would rather have Straqularsi or Marcus Bent - that's how bad he is. Saying that 3 managers have picked him, they must see something in training. My theory is that he looks sound in training when no-one will tackle him or go in 100% and he is a terrified little Bambi when up against Premier League defenders going in tough on him.

Of the attributes a striker needs, is he better than 4/10 in ANY of them? Someone name me a stat is 5+/10 in, at premier league level.

Aguero - finishing 9
DCL - finishing 2

He's a weird one. I bet most clubs outside the top 6 would take him but he would be far from starting.

Aguero - finishing 9
DCL - finishing 2
10/10 for seeming like being a nice lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.