2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but you can't accuse others of a lack of perspective and intellectual integrity and then claim that the top 6 'couldn't live with him'. Talk about hyperbole. He did a good job in those games, he worked hard and gave us an outlet. He wasn't the matchwinner though, he wasn't the player who made a difference in any of them, and nor will any defenders have come off wondering what had hit them. He just played his part (perfectly well it must be said) in good team performances, pretty much what you'd hope for from a Premier League striker really, no more and no less.
You'd have thought he turned into prime Pele during the back end of the season the way some go on

Sorry, but you can't accuse others of a lack of perspective and intellectual integrity and then claim that the top 6 'couldn't live with him'. Talk about hyperbole. He did a good job in those games, he worked hard and gave us an outlet. He wasn't the matchwinner though, he wasn't the player who made a difference in any of them, and nor will any defenders have come off wondering what had hit them. He just played his part (perfectly well it must be said) in good team performances, pretty much what you'd hope for from a Premier League striker really, no more and no less.

They couldn't live with him though. You might not like that, and it might not fit your agenda but it doesn't stop it being true. It doesn't automatically make him good enough for Everton. He terrorised the defences of Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal.

This is in no way the same as making out Niasse is a better all round footballer than him. I don't want to hammer Niasse, I have a lot of respect for him, but his first touch is very poor.

See what you're saying, but 'goals taken out of it' isn't a valid stance when talking about a number 9. You could equally say that stopping the ball going in the net taken out of it, Bishop offers a lot more than Pickford. (I know it's a silly example, but does illustrate the point).

Well of course, but the debate was about all round game minus the goals. That was the parameter that was set. I am as sceptical about it as you are.

...Graham Sharp is another who was criticised for lack of goals, but his return was reasonable and the likes of Lineker, Gray, Cottee and Heath all valued his contribution.

I do think DCL should be exploiting his aerial ability. At the moment he appears to concentrate on getting his head on the ball, as opposed to heading the ball. There was that miss at Hull when he first broke into the team, when the pictures from behind the goal showed his eyes were closed when he headed the ball.

He’s a beast in the air, he had a chance at Palace but directed his header wide of the post. He needs to do better in those situations. He needs to believe.

Yes I agree with this entirely. I think he has became better at this, the header at Newcastle last season springs to mind which was a fantastic header. He needs to get more headed chances though, get in front of the man more and as you say be more aggressive. That is what I liked about his performances against the top 6 last season at the back end, he was very aggressive. That needs to be consistently done though.

As I've also said, along the ground, in terms of the runs he makes he also needs to improve. He is such a strong and quick runner than if he improved his movement he'd be a real threat.

They couldn't live with him though. You might not like that, and it might not fit your agenda but it doesn't stop it being true. It doesn't automatically make him good enough for Everton. He terrorised the defences of Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal.

This is in no way the same as making out Niasse is a better all round footballer than him. I don't want to hammer Niasse, I have a lot of respect for him, but his first touch is very poor.
You're just making stuff up and i'm the one with an agenda? Where have I mentioned Niasse? Keep posting dead long stuff that's really pompous and self important mate, you're a lot better at that than you are at a) reading other people's posts or b) forming opinions on football.

I don't think he's bad as people go on but at this moment in time he's not at the level to be starting every game as our striker, He just doesn't do enough.
I think he's worth keeping though and hoping he can obtain these attributes to turn into a decent striker in the coming years, I'd bin him off by 24 if he hasn't improved big time.

...Graham Sharp is another who was criticised for lack of goals, but his return was reasonable and the likes of Lineker, Gray, Cottee and Heath all valued his contribution.

I do think DCL should be exploiting his aerial ability. At the moment he appears to concentrate on getting his head on the ball, as opposed to heading the ball. There was that miss at Hull when he first broke into the team, when the pictures from behind the goal showed his eyes were closed when he headed the ball.

He’s a beast in the air, he had a chance at Palace but directed his header wide of the post. He needs to do better in those situations. He needs to believe.
I like this; brilliant!!!

He gets slated constantly but he’s improved so much over the past year he could easily be banging in goals in no time.

based on what?

what exactly has he improved so much on? he doesn't score, he doesn't assist, he's not particularly good at holding the ball up, he's not very good on the ball, he can't head the ball

he done well towards the end of last season stretching defences and bringing others into play with his runs, but that's about it

he's 22 now and he still can't finish, not even remotely a good finisher either

don't dislike the lad at all, but he isn't good enough

You're just making stuff up and i'm the one with an agenda? Where have I mentioned Niasse? Keep posting dead long stuff that's really pompous and self important mate, you're a lot better at that than you are at a) reading other people's posts or b) forming opinions on football.

I'm not sure what I'm making up mate, Dominic Calvert Lewin had very good games against the top teams at the back end of last season. You seemed to have an issue with that, and in general there's seems to be a bit of an agenda at play from people not acknowledging that. If thats not you then I apologise and take it back.

As I've said throughout the thread there is a lot he needs to work on, but denying some of his good performances seems self-defeating.

You didn't mention Niasse but the original discussion goes back to which player contributes more (aside from goals) out of Tosun, Niasse and Calvert Lewin. It's my view that Calvert Lewin offers a lot more. You seem to think I'm terrible at forming opinions on football which is fair enough but do you think Niasse offers as much as Calvert Lewin outside of goals?

I’m no disputing he’s got some talent but he isn’t a goal scorer. In our position at present we need a slotter we’re not a training ground to develop players whilst we tread water. No way on earth he should be starting and wearing number 9.

Son phoned last night. He took grandson down to watch the Palace game. He had DCL man of the match. Its a shame he can't score goals.

I think he deserves another two seasons of starting up top for us, if he doesn't get over 5 goals, then I think it's time to to start Kean.

I think he deserves another two seasons of starting up top for us, if he doesn't get over 5 goals, then I think it's time to to start Kean.

Don't think anyone is suggesting we start DCL over Kean once Kean is up to speed mate.

Maybe just for the Watford game he wont be quite ready

Status
Not open for further replies.