2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one can argue his all round game has improved considerably in the last 12 months. But he is not a natural finisher, he’s not the 15-20 goals a season striker we crave.

Its a shame, as he is such a good lad. I hope he proves us all wrong. Still young at 22 and can develop, but as you noted he doesn't come across as a 'natural' finisher. Maybe with a bit of confidence he will develop

Simple question, would you prefer Marcus Bent or DCL?
Both very very limited CF's but Bent did the donkey work much better IMO. He also was a better finisher and all-round footballer.

DCL despite all his efforts in the gym, is as tough as a wet paper towel. I just cannot warm to him.

Give Kean a run and Tosun a chance off the bench. Bin the Bambi!

Both very very limited CF's but Bent did the donkey work much better IMO. He also was a better finisher and all-round footballer.

DCL despite all his efforts in the gym, is as tough as a wet paper towel. I just cannot warm to him.

Marcus Bent, easily. DCL is only good as a lightning rod for the Football Mensa Unit edgelords

Marcus Bent all day.

...in my opinion he’s the best option we’ve had but I would hope that has changed now that Kean has arrived.

I’ve liked DCL since I first saw him play for the U23s and I continually support him on here, but there was a stark contrast in one of the summer U21 international games when the Romanian CF (I think it was Romania) went to war with the England CBs, scored the key goal and jumped into the crowd. That young man made the difference in the game, he ensured his country went through instead of England. DCL has to start similarly impacting games for Everton.

He has all the physical ammunition, he can be unplayable in the air, he needs to exploit that capability.

Funnily enough that Romanian forward has recently moved to Reading.

Oh here we go. "Their tiny minds just don't get it", condescending garbage.

Have you perhaps considered that you might just be wrong?

I'm quite happy to consider I could be wrong mate. However if goals are taken out of it, the level of hassle provided by Tosun, Niasse & Calvert Lewin to defenders there is clearly one guy who offers a lot more. If you think defenders would rather play against Tosun and Niasse thats up to you, I am highly doubtful though.

Funnily enough that Romanian forward has recently moved to Reading.

...that’s interesting. He looked a bit overweight that day, but his enthusiasm virtually won the game for his country. He won’t have the riches of DCL, but for that 90mins the game meant more to him and it showed.

...in my opinion he’s the best option we’ve had but I would hope that has changed now that Kean has arrived.

I’ve liked DCL since I first saw him play for the U23s and I continually support him on here, but there was a stark contrast in one of the summer U21 international games when the Romanian CF (I think it was Romania) went to war with the England CBs, scored the key goal and jumped into the crowd. That young man made the difference in the game, he ensured his country went through instead of England. DCL has to start similarly impacting games for Everton.

He has all the physical ammunition, he can be unplayable in the air, he needs to exploit that capability.

I like him too, though I am not sure he is the most natural number 9. In fairness he has worked very hard to improve whole aspects of his game, but the debate will be how much improvement can he continue to make, or how much is inherent and natural.

I can completely understand people being critical of his goal record. Ironically a bit like Ferguson 20 years ago, he doesn't score enough against poor opposition. To me you can't bully defences in the top 6 as he has done but then go missing against the poorer teams. So that needs to be addressed.

What I find odd though, as I've said throughout this thread is there is a lack of perspective on it. There seems to be no acknowledgement of his performances against the top 6at the back end of last season, when they couldn't live with him. There's no acknowledgement that the teams form (particularly it's attacking output) improved radically when he came into the team. There has to be some intellectual integrity to accept the reality of situations when debating them.

I'd also say it's not too difficult to see what he offers over Tosun and particularly Niasse outside of scoring goals. Niasse works very hard but is a very limited footballer. His first touch is really poor. Maybe I am watching a different game, but I do find such a position hard to square.

And of course in all of this, the hope is Kean comes good and replaces him. Or Dom does enough to keep him out. It's a win win for the club.

I like him too, though I am not sure he is the most natural number 9. In fairness he has worked very hard to improve whole aspects of his game, but the debate will be how much improvement can he continue to make, or how much is inherent and natural.

I can completely understand people being critical of his goal record. Ironically a bit like Ferguson 20 years ago, he doesn't score enough against poor opposition. To me you can't bully defences in the top 6 as he has done but then go missing against the poorer teams. So that needs to be addressed.

What I find odd though, as I've said throughout this thread is there is a lack of perspective on it. There seems to be no acknowledgement of his performances against the top 6at the back end of last season, when they couldn't live with him. There's no acknowledgement that the teams form (particularly it's attacking output) improved radically when he came into the team. There has to be some intellectual integrity to accept the reality of situations when debating them.

I'd also say it's not too difficult to see what he offers over Tosun and particularly Niasse outside of scoring goals. Niasse works very hard but is a very limited footballer. His first touch is really poor. Maybe I am watching a different game, but I do find such a position hard to square.

And of course in all of this, the hope is Kean comes good and replaces him. Or Dom does enough to keep him out. It's a win win for the club.
Sorry, but you can't accuse others of a lack of perspective and intellectual integrity and then claim that the top 6 'couldn't live with him'. Talk about hyperbole. He did a good job in those games, he worked hard and gave us an outlet. He wasn't the matchwinner though, he wasn't the player who made a difference in any of them, and nor will any defenders have come off wondering what had hit them. He just played his part (perfectly well it must be said) in good team performances, pretty much what you'd hope for from a Premier League striker really, no more and no less.

I'm quite happy to consider I could be wrong mate. However if goals are taken out of it, the level of hassle provided by Tosun, Niasse & Calvert Lewin to defenders there is clearly one guy who offers a lot more. If you think defenders would rather play against Tosun and Niasse thats up to you, I am highly doubtful though.
See what you're saying, but 'goals taken out of it' isn't a valid stance when talking about a number 9. You could equally say that stopping the ball going in the net taken out of it, Bishop offers a lot more than Pickford. (I know it's a silly example, but does illustrate the point).

Seriously comparing the 2 of these footballers?

...Graham Sharp is another who was criticised for lack of goals, but his return was reasonable and the likes of Lineker, Gray, Cottee and Heath all valued his contribution.

I do think DCL should be exploiting his aerial ability. At the moment he appears to concentrate on getting his head on the ball, as opposed to heading the ball. There was that miss at Hull when he first broke into the team, when the pictures from behind the goal showed his eyes were closed when he headed the ball.

He’s a beast in the air, he had a chance at Palace but directed his header wide of the post. He needs to do better in those situations. He needs to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.