Match Thread Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe a good number of todays players were not match fit mainly due to very little pre season. Things like some of them being away on tournaments, late buys due to waiting to long to sign players and so not long enough for them to gel. Despite worries about Mina, I thought he had a good game and I still think we need another striker and a good c/b to allow for injuries.

In retrospect its clear that there were opportunities to score a few during the first half. You could clearly see we possessed better footballing skills than them. For a home team they hardly troubled Pickford. It was only during the 2nd half, when Gbamin cheaply lost the ball, that they counter attacked and Pickford made 2 important saves.

I agree that at this stage it's impossible to gauge where we are as a team. It's just the same old problems that dogged us for parts of last season. That is that when we dominate teams for long periods we sometimes don't convert these periods into goals. This gives the opposition confidence.

They were wary of us first half. By the second half they could smell our vulnerability. Once our midfield changed we not only began to tire but lacked the same team cohesion.

We have to be careful here because these vulnerabilities we see can fester and before you know it we could suffer a dreadful run of losses. Confidence is so important. Players need to know that when they are putting 100% in that goals will come. It's difficult when you lose key personnel. The new ones need plenty of time to gel and build belief.

We are a team under Silva that takes time to get into its rhythm. To watch City and the other lot absolutely pulverise the opposition on the first day of the season puts matters into perspective. We are understandably miles away from that.

However it showed last season that with time, fitness and confidence we are a match for anyone.

Last edited:

I gather DCL was useless again today, is the German window still open can’t we loan him out there. I’d prefer Tosun or Niasse at least they look like they will score if they if they play long enough, DCL imo is an awful striker.

In retrospect its clear that there were opportunities to score a few during the first half. You could clearly see we possessed better footballing skills than them. For a home team they hardly troubled Pickford. It was only during the 2nd half, when Gbamin cheaply lost the ball, that they counter attacked and Pickford made 2 important saves.

I agree that at this stage it's impossible to gauge where we are as a team. It's just the same old problems that dogged us for parts of last season. That is that when we dominate teams for long periods we sometimes don't convert these periods into goals. This gives the opposition confidence.

They were wary of us first half. By the second half they could smell our vulnerability. Once our midfield changed we not only began to tire but lacked the same team cohesion.

We have to be careful here because these vulnerabilities we see can fester and before you know it we suffera dreadful run of losses. Confidence is so important. Players need to know that when they are putting 100% in that goals will come. It's difficult when you lose key personnel. The new ones need plenty of time to gel and build belief.

We are a team under Silva that takes time to get into its rhythm. To watch City and the other lot absolutely pulverise the opposition on the first day of the season puts matters into perspective. We are understandably miles away from that.

However it showed last season that with time, fitness and confidence we are a match for anyone.

Good post, upto Silva now to get things on-track, and also the senior players

In retrospect its clear that there were opportunities to score a few during the first half. You could clearly see we, possessed better footballing skills than them. For a home team they hardly troubled Pickford. It was only during the 2nd half, when Gbamin cheaply lost the ball, that they counter attacked and Pickford made 2 important saves. In conclusion I agree that at this stage it's impossible to gauge where we are as a team. It's just the same old problems that dogged us for parts of last season. That is that when we dominate teams for long periods we don't convert these periods into goals. This gives opposition confidence. They were wary of us first half. By the second half they could smell our vulnerability. Once our midfield changed we not only began to tire but lacked the same team cohesion.

We have to be careful here because these vulnerabilities can grow and before you know it we start one of those dreadful runs of losses. Confidence is so important. Players need to know that when they are putting 100% in that goals will come. It's difficult when you lose key personnel. The new ones need plenty of time.

We are a team under Silva that takes time to get in a rhythm. To watch City and the other lot absolutely pulverise their opposition on the first day of their seasons puts matters into perspective. We are understandably miles away from that. However it showed last season that with time, fitness and confidence we are a match for anyone.
This is pretty fair.

The (hopefully very good) business we've done in areas needed (CF) was done late, so we've gone into the new season a bit half -cooked. A draw away at dogged Palace is not a loss, and we did have the odd chance. Clean sheet also good.

I want to drum these back at ours though.

I'm starting to be feed up with Bernard. Good, player, but not good enough to get a 4 spot. No end product at all

Yes I reckon I will. I must ask you though...did Siggy have a bad season last season?
Oh by the way, great start to your "I reckon I will comment"; see that miss in the first couple of minutes.

Have a look at the highlights if you didn't...cringeworthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.