Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh. I'm all for stats that are actually based on measurable things - i.e. sprints, distance covered, passes made, dribbles completed or whatever. I think that's fair enough.

XG and XA are just baffling to me, though.

Then again, the organisation I work for is now owned by the biggest stats corporation in the world, and some of the stuff being put in place for the 2022 WC is frankly scary.
In the end, it’s kicking a ball. Stats may be useful as an indicator, but it depends how they are calculated. xA and xG seem to have a significant level of subjectivity and complexity.
It reminds me of economists forecasting the economy with tremendously complex models. They always getting it wrong.
The statisticians will spend ages tweaking models to make them better, but it will probably all be rubbish because so much depends on how the manager sets the team up, who the opposition is, were they carrying an injury, had they had an argument with the missus that morning etc.
We know who the good players are. Statistics are always playing catch up and probably only confirm what we know.

Yet more pace in the team.

Remember 2 years ago when after our transfer activity we had the slowest team in the league? Now with all these new additions we have pace, directness and CMS who can pass the ball forward.

Personally I don't think we are at the point of making a major step up but we should have enough to win a few more points than last season. There isn't an excuse for not going at teams now and there is enough creativity in the squad that gives us options off the bench for once.

If tosun can chip in with a few then we have our strongest side in a long time , since 2008 argubally.

Now to see what Silva can actually do as a manager
Tosun will not keep up with our new pacy team he is so slow, sell him back to Europe asap.....

Tosun will not keep up with our new pacy team he is so slow, sell him back to Europe asap.....
I agree. He won't fit into our team but for the last 20 minutes as a centre forward he is an option .

That's what we lack in terms of flexibility, the big centre half to throw on. I don't think tosun is that tbh , but a giroud/llorente type of player would round the attack off nicely.

I agree. He won't fit into our team but for the last 20 minutes as a centre forward he is an option .

That's what we lack in terms of flexibility, the big centre half to throw on. I don't think tosun is that tbh , but a giroud/llorente type of player would round the attack off nicely.
Yeh, I don't think Tosun is god awful. Obviously doesn't suit our system but if Kean and DCL crack on, as a back up striker you could do worse.

I like Cenk Tosun and he hope he does well. There, I said it.

He's the best finisher we have (don't know enough about Kean to include him in that). Just not suited to this league. Noticed he had a bit of a face on him in the training pics from the past week, like he knows he's now even further down the pecking order.

I’m actually genuinely surprised we didn’t go for Lorente (the spurs forward) - he was out of contract and gives that different option...

Tosun and niasse out & Llorente In would have been a perfect window IMO, discounting the CB situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.