Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Statistics to fit an agenda.. Got to love it.

Add in assists and actual minutes played and how many games were as a sub. Then start the arguement again.
Richarlison scored five goals in thirty six games the season before he came to Everton, stats? I take no notice of them, always take notice of what my eyes see, it works better for me, much better.

Do people understand what expected goals and expected assists mean?

If the end output doesn't somewhat tally with a high xG and xA then it means he has no end product. It means he was 'expected' to assist and score but didn't.

It reinforces the criticism of him.

If he somehow fixes that end product then, yes, he'd be tremendous, but it's a big bloody ask!
Have you seen how xG and xA is calculated? It’s utterly meaningless.

Anyway, the thing I guess people have ignored is that unless he's totally awful, we won't really lose money on him. He's young, he'll have a boatload of experience in the Premier League even if he flops, so if we do ship him out at 25/26 we'll probably get a newly promoted club pay the same thing for him.

There's an outside chance everything comes together for him. His problem isn't technique, but his composure and brain. He can run a ball, hold people off, but too often does so down blind alleys, or he'll give an incomprehensible pass or cross at the vital moment. These are things Raheem Sterling used to do often too, and suddenly he morphed into a world beater.

I'll cross my fingers he comes good. I don't want any player Everton sign to do badly. My disappointment is solely that I feel we've missed a chance to compete effectively due to not reinforcing in key areas well enough.

No, they say he should have assisted, but didn't. Because his end product is lacking.
The forward runs and passes into the box tell you the type of player he is. I know people are calling him a winger,but there is no such thing these days. He's a wide attacker who runs directly and passes forwards, which is what we need. Can he cross a ball? No. Do we have a target man for a "winger" to cross to? No. Listen, he's not the ideal player for us as he doesn't score enough goals, but he is the type of player that we need, and that will help with the mindset of the team. The RS aren't full of goal scoring midfielders, but they have a mindset where they move the ball quickly from back to front, and this lad will help us develop that, as will Delph.

I think it is clear to say that Lozano is not inferior to Iwobi. There is no doubt what Lozano can do in a counterattacking team. Look at his immense impact during the World Cup playing in a system we are trying to emulate. Majority could see it, don’t see anything wrong with people rating him highly as a signing.

Neres is a target, I’m quite sure. Richarlison won’t be coming out with comments if there is zero interest. Neres is a better all round footballer, one of the brightest young Brazilian winger currently.

I think Iwobi is fine, but pushing an argument he is better than the other two just to justify his signing is beyond me. I’m sure there are better reasons like financial restriction which makes more sense.

I would like to think abstaining from signing last winter would enable us to push ahead with a breakthrough signing this summer. The way we melt towards the end of the window is disappointing.

...you miss my point, I’ve never for one moment said Iwobi is better than Lozano or Neres, i’m just suggesting he’s a different ‘type’. Silva/Brands targeted the Iwobi ‘type’.

It’s a bit like losing Gueye, lots on here looking at us to replace him with a clone, but perhaps Silva/Brands wanted a different ‘type’, one with athleticism, pace and running power.

It's insane. A player could loft ten passes a game that xA calculates has a 20% chance of leading to an assist - so ten pretty bad passes - yet then have an outcome of 2 expected assists for that game.

Mindnumbingly stupid.

Yeh. I'm all for stats that are actually based on measurable things - i.e. sprints, distance covered, passes made, dribbles completed or whatever. I think that's fair enough.

XG and XA are just baffling to me, though.

Then again, the organisation I work for is now owned by the biggest stats corporation in the world, and some of the stuff being put in place for the 2022 WC is frankly scary.

Yeh. I'm all for stats that are actually based on measurable things - i.e. sprints, distance covered, passes made, dribbles completed or whatever. I think that's fair enough.

Then again, the organisation I work for is now owned by the biggest stats corporation in the world, and some of the stuff being put in place for the 2022 WC is frankly scary.

It's like "passes into area" - what does that mean? Sounds great on paper, but if one player puts three passes into the box and one is successful and puts a player one and one, then he's more effective than another player who puts ten passes into the box and every single one is intercepted.

It's all completely pointless. You can't use such stats to judge Iwobi at Arsenal, you had to use your eyes.

The forward runs and passes into the box tell you the type of player he is. I know people are calling him a winger,but there is no such thing these days. He's a wide attacker who runs directly and passes forwards, which is what we need. Can he cross a ball? No. Do we have a target man for a "winger" to cross to? No. Listen, he's not the ideal player for us as he doesn't score enough goals, but he is the type of player that we need, and that will help with the mindset of the team. The RS aren't full of goal scoring midfielders, but they have a mindset where they move the ball quickly from back to front, and this lad will help us develop that, as will Delph.
He created more chances at Asenal last season than any other player there. Something we desperately need.

Feel a bit bad for the lad now.

He's constantly going to be measured against "what Zaha could/would have done" despite being a tidy player in his own right.

I like this signing and we've got a lot more than half the talent of Zaha for less than half the price.
At least Iwobi stays on his feet, it's bad enough Richarlison falling over every time someone breathes on him, imagine if we had Zaha as well!!

My mate did the piece on him going around. Loves his stats!! Lets get behind him and hope he can make a contribution

Status
Not open for further replies.