Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's cheaper than Zaha. He's not as good as Zaha. But Zaha wasnt available for what we were willing/able to pay. Therefore Zaha is irrelevant.

Only relevant question is "Does he improve our squad?"
I would say the relevant question is - how much playing time will he get vs cost?

A few people seem to think he’s better value than Zaha but the way I look at it Zaha was more likely to make an impact week in week out. I’m not sure Iwobi has enough to even start games ahead of what we’ve got. So in that sense Zaha would have provided better value despite the higher fee.

I think we simply weren't willing to go to £70m+ which is fair enough.

My argument at 4:30 yesterday was it didn't look like we had a back up. But I was wrong - Iwobi was clearly the back up for both wide player and midfielder (as he can play both roles).

We need to get out of the idea of a 'starting XI'. It's a squad game now, this isn't the 80s.

Iwobi will play in over 30 games for us this year, barring injury. He'll start the majority of those I imagine, and gives us options.

I wanted Zaha, really wanted him. I think the club did too. He'd have been a statement of intent. But the back up was at least in place and we got him in and he'll have a positive impact on the squad.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the CB position.

i remember the europa league final, he made more impact than ozil. i always rated him we should have bought him 2 seasons ago instead of walcott

He's cheaper than Zaha. He's not as good as Zaha. But Zaha wasnt available for what we were willing/able to pay. Therefore Zaha is irrelevant.

Only relevant question is "Does he improve our squad?"

...it’s a good point, only time will tell but the way I look at it is, he’s replaced Lookman and Onyekuru who played little or no part. The squad was too big, two players out who were having no impact replaced by one who hopefully will.

Steven Pienaar is my go to for people who quote stats.

Steven Pienaar is my go to for the ‘pl experience’ brigade (his move to spurs).

Steven Pienaar was part of the best left hand side combo I can think of in the PL. I wouldn’t have swapped him for anyone, and I was gutted when he left.
I liked Pienaar but people talk as if he was amazing. He wasn't. He was a good player, not a great player. For us to step up from where we are we need more goalscorers.

I liked Pienaar but people talk as if he was amazing. He wasn't. He was a good player, not a great player. For us to step up from where we are we need more goalscorers.

How was Baines in that same period.

It’s not just about Pienaar mate, his style of play & his work ethic allowed Baines to be one of, if not the, best creative left back in Europe for a spell of about 3 years.

I’m not surprised Digne was superb last year, he started to build a good relationship with Bernard, who i see as very similar to pienaar

He also bottled it a big champions league team IE Dortmund and spurs( spurs aren’t bigger than us) but at the time we’re a better team and a champions league team.

I liked pienaar and he was very good for us, but if he was so good champions league team would have been throwing 20mil bid in, with in 2yrs.

As an Arsenal fan, I've mixed feelings on this deal. Iwobi's been a much maligned player over the past couple of seasons and some of our fans have been rejoicing at this news, but they're generally the same ones who wanted Ramsey sold for years and generally have no patience when it comes to young talent.

I think we've done well to receive a good fee for him but I think it's good business from Everton's part as well. There are definitely flaws in Iwobi's game - his finishing is inconsistent, and when he's having a bad day it does seem like nothing comes off for him - but he's a very technically gifted talent with plenty of room to grow. His end product is lacking but his link up play is superb; he's a very intelligent footballer I think in the right system, with good players around him, he can flourish.

I always got the impression that he had something of an imposter syndrome with us, and whilst on his day he didn't look out of place alongside the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang, he would suffer from dips in confidence that he seemed to find difficult to shake. He's not as flashy as Zaha but you've got yourself a great talent with lots of potential, and I think in a new environment he can really push on and become a great player for Everton. I'd like to see him do well, if only to shut some of our own fans up.

Interesting point about noticing something of an imposter syndrome with him. The same could be said for Gomez while he was at Barca. Seems possible it's a strategy of Brand's to find players who are gifted but clearly struggling to settle at their club.

Thanks for the insights mate.

A few people seem to think he’s better value than Zaha but the way I look at it Zaha was more likely to make an impact week in week out. I’m not sure Iwobi has enough to even start games ahead of what we’ve got. So in that sense Zaha would have provided better value despite the higher fee.

It is what is is mate. Personally I was never on the ridiculous Zaha fee bandwagon. For me it's a beyond sound plan A...even if it seems to be plan B.

Plan A in this scenario was a bad idea in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.