Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked a good buy at the time
This thread makes me cry specially this

Still a failure.

Account for wages and the momentum/time lost by signing his duds and he's a failure no matter what way you look at it.

For me it was a two way mistake
Him and the fat head fraud seemed to be doing their own thing with no one in charge.

Maybe Moshiri realised his mistake and made it clear that Brands is in charge.

It’s how it appears to me anyway

Steve Walsh was totally incompetent and almost wrecked this club. Not his fault - we were all fooled by two or three signings made at Leicester and a bizarre decision to make him Director of Football.
I still have nightmares about seeing him on stage at the Philharmonic at an AGM floundering and stuttering his way through an embarrassing Q&A session. The poor man just wasn't up to the job and we all suffered because of it.

He was not a Dof. He’d have been better being head of scouting.

Brands is ace though for me.

That's it for me. Walsh could see a player. I have no doubt about that. You don't do what Leicester did, the promotions and get anywhere near a league title if you cannot spot a player.

People go on about it just being Kante. Why didn't someone else buy Kante before him then? Or Gueye? Or Ndidi? Etc etc. Clearly he had a great eye.

Where he falls down is that is one part of a DOF role. He had a very unique role in a unique set up at Leicester. He was called as Assistant Manager (I believe). A DOF/Sporting Director is completely different.

For me, in terms of negotiations, working in parallel (ie doing more than one deal at any given time) planning, resourcing, budget allocation, supporting/supervising the coach and perhaps most critically closing deals he was really lacking in.

In essence there was little overarching culture emerging from his tenure. He wanted to buy an almost random collection of good players and hoped they all fitted together somehow. That's not really good enough (although would be for a head scout).

So it wasn't he was bad. It's more that it was chaotic. That chaos was only heightened by having a poor manager too.

Steve Walsh was totally incompetent and almost wrecked this club. Not his fault - we were all fooled by two or three signings made at Leicester and a bizarre decision to make him Director of Football.
I still have nightmares about seeing him on stage at the Philharmonic at an AGM floundering and stuttering his way through an embarrassing Q&A session. The poor man just wasn't up to the job and we all suffered because of it.

Yes. And I know this will sound harsh, but at that level things like that make a difference. If you're an agent, or a player, or opposing scout or anyone else and that's how the guy who supposedly fronts your business communicates, you are going to run a mile, or look to take him for a ride.

That's it for me. Walsh could see a player. I have no doubt about that. You don't do what Leicester did, the promotions and get anywhere near a league title if you cannot spot a player.

People go on about it just being Kante. Why didn't someone else buy Kante before him then? Or Gueye? Or Ndidi? Etc etc. Clearly he had a great eye.

Where he falls down is that is one part of a DOF role. He had a very unique role in a unique set up at Leicester. He was called as Assistant Manager (I believe). A DOF/Sporting Director is completely different.

For me, in terms of negotiations, working in parallel (ie doing more than one deal at any given time) planning, resourcing, budget allocation, supporting/supervising the coach and perhaps most critically closing deals he was really lacking in.

In essence there was little overarching culture emerging from his tenure. He wanted to buy an almost random collection of good players and hoped they all fitted together somehow. That's not really good enough (although would be for a head scout).

So it wasn't he was bad. It's more that it was chaotic. That chaos was only heightened by having a poor manager too.
This brings the whole DoF role into question for me. When Walsh was at Leicester they had a low profile DoF who was a promoted man who looked after the academy. Head Scout probably outranked him. The size of our club is bigger than Leicester's yes, but we really dont require an overlord to see us join all the dots up of academy, method of play and recruitment. Walsh wasn't ever going to be a typical DoF.

It was a howler from Moshiri to promote him into that role and confused the issue.

Walsh + a manager like Moyes who was into the scouting side as much as any PL manager has been would have a success. Walsh + a manager who is used to working with a DoF and expecting a clearly defined disciplined relationship (where the manager is ultimately a decision taker) was a disaster in the making.

Hard to put the Rooney thing on Walsh tbh, that has Kenwrights fingerprints on it imo

Mate, I know Wayne and correct his transfer wasn’t a Walsh decision, Wayne wanted to come back (never explained why other than he wanted to and he could) and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised after he’s finished playing if one day if he was part of the backroom staff in some capacity. He loves the club and his biggest regret is that he accommodated a tactical decision for the good of the club / team in the second half of that season rather than what was right for him as a player. Wayne and Kenwright haven’t had a good relationship for many years and personally evidenced at Howard Kendall’s funeral. So Wayne wanted to come back, Kenwright made it happen (for whatever ‘make good’ reason that’s between them), Wayne got his wish (and he had many better financial options), and he regrets the way he had to leave the club. I think most of this he’s publicly documented anyway.

But as a footnote as a player, father and husband, he’s also happy right now in the USA. So can any of us really argue with that?

Mods, sorry if I strayed off topic but my point is this wasn’t a Walsh transfer.

This brings the whole DoF role into question for me. When Walsh was at Leicester they had a low profile DoF who was a promoted man who looked after the academy. Head Scout probably outranked him. The size of our club is bigger than Leicester's yes, but we really dont require an overlord to see us join all the dots up of academy, method of play and recruitment. Walsh wasn't ever going to be a typical DoF.

It was a howler from Moshiri to promote him into that role and confused the issue.

Walsh + a manager like Moyes who was into the scouting side as much as any PL manager has been would have a success. Walsh + a manager who is used to working with a DoF and expecting a clearly defined disciplined relationship (where the manager is ultimately a decision taker) was a disaster in the making.
Spot on observation

Far too balanced and reasonable a response lad, you should be ashamed of yourself! burn the Witch!!!

I think Walsh got more wrong than he got right. One thing I will say though is I don't think he was always the decision maker in these transfers, certainly signing; Rooney, Klassen and Sigurdsson to all play number 10, was not down to him.

People on here were made up when we signed Sandro and Klassen, they looked brilliant in Holland and Spain

Also under Allardyce Walcott and Tosun were playing well, they fitted his system, they dont fit Silva's system. This doesn't mean they are bad signings

Yet, we now have Brands, who as our DoF, appears to be joining the dots with shrewd acquisitions (and departures) that fit into the club's longer-term strategy.

Yes it's only early days and the real test will be in a few seasons, but from what we can tell now then it does appear that we are reaping the rewards.

My point is that the failure of one individual due to their own merits/faults, doesn't automatically negate the need for the role or Moshiri's thought process.

Perhaps, the whole Walsh/Koeman saga will have a positive long-term impact as it has actually shown how important it is to have the right people and vision.

That's difficult to swallow now because we've wasted x-amount of cash and are weighed down with some dross, however we're now moving in the right direction.

Silva can concentrate on the here-and-now of the first team, which is vital if we want to succeed and build our profile, while Brands shapes our future.

To get back to the topic at hand, Steve Walsh simply didn't have the abilities to do this as his role was isolated to finding gems, rather than build a system.

You can see that in the mishap that was our transfer strategy: buying over-aged players for huge fees, silly contracts and some people absolutely crap!

Yet, we now have Brands, who as our DoF, appears to be joining the dots with shrewd acquisitions (and departures) that fit into the club's longer-term strategy.

Yes it's only early days and the real test will be in a few seasons, but from what we can tell now then it does appear that we are reaping the rewards.

My point is that the failure of one individual due to their own merits/faults, doesn't automatically negate the need for the role or Moshiri's thought process.

Perhaps, the whole Walsh/Koeman saga will have a positive long-term impact as it has actually shown how important it is to have the right people and vision.

That's difficult to swallow now because we've wasted x-amount of cash and are weighed down with some dross, however we're now moving in the right direction.

Silva can concentrate on the here-and-now of the first team, which is vital if we want to succeed and build our profile, while Brands shapes our future.

To get back to the topic at hand, Steve Walsh simply didn't have the abilities to do this as his role was isolated to finding gems, rather than build a system.

You can see that in the mishap that was our transfer strategy: buying over-aged players for huge fees, silly contracts and some people absolutely crap!
I'd love to know - apart from the selling and buying of players - what this extra ("proper DoF") work looks like. I see very little evidence of Brands being involved elsewhere at the club. Maybe I've missed it or I dont look for it. But where are the stories of Brands' hands on approach at the academy and impact at FF on the style of football that the first team play? He joined the board early on last season, how does that manifest itself - what's his role there?

My point: we accept an awful lot about what we're told a DoF does, but we have to take talk of this 'holistic' approach and workload in good faith as there's very little evidence of it (and I again stress I personally dont see these stories of Brands' involvement). In my experiance of Brands' first year here, I heard and saw a lot of him in the two transfer summer windows and that was pretty much that.

Walsh + a manager who loves pies = embarrassing failure.......

Status
Not open for further replies.