Everton Youth Teams Thread

Brands needs to perform a complete overhaul of the youth teams, judging by some of these U23's.

Dont know whether Unsworth is the right man to bring the kids through.

They looked better than the 1st team

Yeah haha, they were much more impressive I thought. They've won the league twice in three years. People have this deluded expectation that everyone who steps up will be Rooney or kane. You get one player like that in a generation, even your davies', Kenny's etc are very rare. We're better than anybody at bringing them through, I think one or two of this bunch will make it to be a first team squad player, but it's unrealistic to think more than 5 or 6 will play above league one level for the majority of their career.

Gordon had flashes, dont rate Broadhead and Hornby is shocking. The only one who looks to have a bit of real quality is Gibson and we paid £5mill for him.

That Adeneran doesnt look much either. Guarantee none of them (apart from possibly Gibson) make it here
I wouldn't totally write off any from preseason but Gibson Gordan and Broadhead are the only ones who had even one moment that showed they have this level in them.

Yeah haha, they were much more impressive I thought. They've won the league twice in three years. People have this deluded expectation that everyone who steps up will be Rooney or kane. You get one player like that in a generation, even your davies', Kenny's etc are very rare. We're better than anybody at bringing them through, I think one or two of this bunch will make it to be a first team squad player, but it's unrealistic to think more than 5 or 6 will play above league one level for the majority of their career.

It's not about winning reserve leagues. It's about producing quality players.

We produce hard working championship players. There is no quality whatsoever and they play old fashioned hoof and rush.

I've long wanted an overhaul and a new coach who gets players to play a proper brand of football with technical skills raised to far better levels.

They are not there to win leagues, as nice as it is. The whole point of an academy is to produce players for the first team.

We seem to be going for the kids sunday league approach of not much technically but tall and strong with a lot of heart.

The game has moved so far away from that now.

Gordon looked decent but didn't get the ball enough, Broadhead was frustrating all half, Gibson looked solid again, Hornby was utter tosh and Foulds was decent but is not a left back.

I'd say out of all the lads who have been given minutes, only Gibson looks remotely close enough and I don't think even he's done enough where Silva would say "100% he's in my squad for the 1st game of the season"

They may only be pre season games but they are a great opportunity for the young lads to really grab their chance, put themselves about and make people stand up and take notice.

Yesterday's 2nd half was basically the u23's and it was all just a little too safe, too worried about making a misplaced pass instead of finding a killer ball or taking control of the situation.

Looked like a lower championship side against a mid table championship side.

Have we signed anyone for the u23s? How about the Scandinavian kid who was supposedly signed a couple of months back?
Nope, none that I’m aware of, if it’s Iversen you mean he moved up from u18. We've released quite a few , have some out on loan already , and apparently Feeney , Evans and Hornby will also be loaned , so quite a few “regulars “ from last season won’t be around. I’m surprised we haven’t brought in any talented youngsters , it’s the kind of thing you’d do in parallel to sorting the first team , on the other hand it gives a big opportunity to last years u18 , plus players currently u18 like Astley, Hunt and Carroll are also involved.
I think we’re still trying to bring in a Goalkeeper from Fleetwood, for once we’re actually not big on GK numbers.