SportPesa

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the same principle, it preyed on the poor and vulnerable and exploited peoples addictions.

The gambling industry then is different to what it is now. Sports Pesa was created as an exploitation of the growth of hand held devices in certain regions of Africa over the last decade.

Oh and money laundering.

Gambling on the results of football matches. Just the same in many ways. 'Treble chance' 'Three Draws' Penny Points' 'Four Aways'.
Steve you are right it was gambling, but be fair, it was once a week and just a few shillings mostly, today people are gambling on slot machines as well as all sorts of racing, football day and night, no real comparison with gambling of days gone by. Although you could go to street gambling, card and dice schools, but again nothing compared to the amount that goes on these days.

Steve you are right it was gambling, but be fair, it was once a week and just a few shillings mostly, today people are gambling on slot machines as well as all sorts of racing, football day and night, no real comparison with gambling of days gone by. Although you could go to street gambling, card and dice schools, but again nothing compared to the amount that goes on these days.

And how much is 'a few shillings' today...and what is a 1950s £75k, which was the top prize,worth today?. In 1957 I started work on £3.35 a week! Now I won't get out of bed for 200 times that ;)

Wrong. Even in those days there were 'Fixed Odds' pools. Pay money in the hope of a winning result. No difference in the concept at all.

Disagree. You can bet on the women's 5th division in Brasil now. Fixed odds on top flight football years ago is microscopic compared to what goes on in the modern world.

Disagree. You can bet on the women's 5th division in Brasil now. Fixed odds on top flight football years ago is microscopic compared to what goes on in the modern world.
Inflation,and everything is bigger since the 50s...but the concept of betting is the same the world over.

I hated the idea of being sponsored by a betting company anyway - even if there was nothing wrong with SportPesa. But I really wish that our sponsor was a more legit, well-known company, because we depend a bit on the sponsor to promote us, not just give us money.
E.g. With Emirates, they have Arsenal stuff on the airlines and in Dubai. Brighton have American Express, but they've got a big office there - couldn't we have someone like Amazon, Jaguar, or any of the big firms with offices around here.
Could be worse our neighbours sponsors Standard Chartered just been fined $1.1 bn for money laundering.
Do these clubs ( including ours ) not do due dilligence when entering into these agreements or do they just see $$££€€ signs.
All smacks of greed , i would do away with shirt sponsorship and let every club promote a charity on their shirts.

Inflation,and everything is bigger since the 50s...but the concept of betting is the same the world over.

I'm not going to discuss this further with you, as you can't identify the changes and progression in modern society which have made gambling a plague.

Well done you for being on top of this
Threats = Government wants ' donation'
Refusal = Government implements threats
Sport Pesa allegedly realises 'they could be serious here' = fire...allegedly
'Out of Court' settlement reached...Sports Pesa, Government, Cayman Islands Banks, basically all the interested parties, everybody happy.
Jobs a goodun. Storm in a tea cup, 9 days wonder, etc.
Government make nice touchy feely announcement about encouraging Entrepreneurship
Sports Pesa et al, still fleecing poor people who can least afford it...allegedly.

Last edited:
Could be worse our neighbours sponsors Standard Chartered just been fined $1.1 bn for money laundering.
Do these clubs ( including ours ) not do due dilligence when entering into these agreements or do they just see $$££€€ signs.
All smacks of greed , i would do away with shirt sponsorship and let every club promote a charity on their shirts.
But won't happen

I'm not going to discuss this further with you, as you can't identify the changes and progression in modern society which have made gambling a plague.

Of course I can. But what we're discussing here is the whole morality of gambling. In the 50s there was no TV advertising, sponsorship, etc., but most households in the country were drawn into the dream of 'winning the pools' Up until 1956 there was only one TV station! If the morality of gambling bothers you it hasn't changed, the coverage and therefore the problem has just got bigger.

Of course I can. But what we're discussing here is the whole morality of gambling. In the 50s there was no TV advertising, sponsorship, etc., but most households in the country were drawn into the dream of 'winning the pools' Up until 1956 there was only one TV station! If the morality of gambling bothers you it hasn't changed, the coverage and therefore the problem has just got bigger.
The whole industry is spending millions on advertising and sponsorship. It is polluting my kids heads who are trying to watch football and I have to explain that it isn’t “free”, or so easy to win. I know people that have lost 50k plus on betting sites. It can happen to anyone and it being pushed on a new genration like never before.

I think given who signed off the deal and who we have in now - I think the next sponsor will be looked into a lot more than just the money - I know clubs like as much money as possible but if that effects the clubs image then it could have a detrimental effect on other sponsors

Status
Not open for further replies.