Everton Youth Teams Thread

With the exception of Williams, I've seen most of these play a few times. And the ones I made judgments about the future of I've definitely seen a few times or in Williams case I'm just guessing that getting yanked off immediately after putting in a tackle that might have been red in a competitive match isn't a good sign. I want them all the succeed but with the exception of Gibson and Broadhead none really looked the part today. Guys like Gylfi, Gomes, Digne and Keane all looked like they were a higher caliber of player than the rest of what was going on out there. I can't say any of the youngsters fit into that category.

If Gibson and Broadhead dont go on loan and play for the first team it means we failed in recruitment.

Thats taking nothing away from the 2 boys, but they possibly need regular game time, not U23 footy.

If Gibson and Broadhead dont go on loan and play for the first team it means we failed in recruitment.

Thats taking nothing away from the 2 boys, but they possibly need regular game time, not U23 footy.
Agreed. I think Broadhead, Gibson and possibly Hornby still have a chance to make it but 100% need a loan. Even going to Scotland like that Adeboyin lad would be fine.

Agreed. I think Broadhead, Gibson and possibly Hornby still have a chance to make it but 100% need a loan. Even going to Scotland like that Adeboyin lad would be fine.

We paid decent money for Gibson, still only 18, ive high hopes for the boy, but currently he aint getting games ahead of Kegs and Mina and you would hope we are signing another, plus Holgate.

We paid decent money for Gibson, still only 18, ive high hopes for the boy, but currently he aint getting games ahead of Kegs and Mina and you would hope we are signing another, plus Holgate.
I'm pretty low on Mason at this point, I certainly am more optimistic for Gibson because I haven't seen him get bullied by Arnautovic multiple times yet, so Holgate being third CB really scares me. In a more ideal situation maybe we could sort out another loan for Mason and make sure that team plays him at CB. He badly needs gametime in that position. Which does remind me a condition of any loan for our young CBs needs to start including a provision where after 5 games playing LB/RB instead we can recall them. It does nothing good for us.

I'm pretty low on Mason at this point, I certainly am more optimistic for Gibson because I haven't seen him get bullied by Arnautovic multiple times yet, so Holgate being third CB really scares me. In a more ideal situation maybe we could sort out another loan for Mason and make sure that team plays him at CB. He badly needs gametime in that position. Which does remind me a condition of any loan for our young CBs needs to start including a provision where after 5 games playing LB/RB instead we can recall them. It does nothing good for us.

Cant see many managers allowing another club dictating where players play, but its a noble thought.

He needs games like.

Cant see many managers allowing another club dictating where players play, but its a noble thought.

He needs games like.
I know it isn't possible in practice but it's really tough to develop as a CB when you are shifted out wide. Especially in this era of fullbacks pushing all the way up. Look at the RS with Gomez. The lad was utterly terrible until they stopped messing around with him at RB and let him be CB more because RB in that system is basically a winger. Not that I actually think he's that good now but the point being we need our guys getting minutes in the right spot.

Gibson was assured today but wasn't under much pressure.
Broadhead had good moments. I don't think he's ready for the first team and should probably go on loan but if we end up selling Lookman, Henry can't play and we can't sign another winger I guess he's 4th choice.
Adeniran isn't ready.
Hornby looked off the pace.
Connolly is fine but I still don't think he's a Premier League player.
Williams probably sealed another loan with his moment of madness. You just can't do that in preseason.
Overall I wouldn't say anyone who wasn't already in contention to play made any progress toward the first team.

...my understanding is Joe Williams is in the final year of his contract, so sending him on loan seems a bit odd when we can secure a fee from a team who reportedly want him on a permanent deal.

...my understanding is Joe Williams is in the final year of his contract, so sending him on loan seems a bit odd when we can secure a fee from a team who reportedly want him on a permanent deal.
I didn't realize that but yes in that case he probably will be sold if we decide not to keep him.

I'm just guessing that getting yanked off immediately after putting in a tackle that might have been red in a competitive match isn't a good sign.
Might be what you say, but there was also some talk about him being injured (which would be a shame for him yet again but probably puts the nail into his EFC career if he can't do the preseason).

Or we give him a new contract.

I agree we should give him a new contract but he definitely shouldn't go on loan again. He's had 2 years out on loan and either he's shown enough to be a squad player here or it's time to cash in as there is a little bit of interest. Callum Connolly is in the same position. Otherwise we will end up with another Galloway, Garbutt situation.

...we’ve seen that tactic with Pennington and i’m not convinced it’s financially sensible, given we can command a fee now and want to reduce squad numbers.
I agree with the Pennington comment but i think it depends on whether Silva rates him. If he does then offer him a new contract and keep him as part of the first team squad, As you say no point in loaning him out.