2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Dave is on his usual wind up and wont accept anything that isn't in line with his agenda.

You you could have the best DOF in the world and they would struggle to get the dross out the door he was saddled with. Typical that a certain person has an agenda and cant see what is happening is the best under the circumstances.
There's no "wind up". That's just a cop out used by some when their argument doesn't hold up.

....good that you’re now ‘getting’ how difficult it is to shift some of the deadwood for fees. You’re right in being cautious and managing expectation in any assessment of Brands, although he’s done fine to this point and the signs are encouraging.
Pretty much what I've ben saying. Done a decent job.

But when I say it people seem to read the words as "He's rubbish, get shut and get Walsh back".

Their problem, not mine.

Holding him accountable for horrible, awful deals on average players isn't fair. These guys can sit here and collect a way-too-high salary. The only motivation for some to leave may be Euro 2020, like Cillesen from Barca.
I dont hold him account for the wages they're on. I simply point to examples where we've had bang average players on high wages and long contracts before and sold them, and I say that if it;s been done before, we need to expect him to do it too.

If he's being judged by some with a far more lenient measuring rod than others in the past, then that's their business. I wont be doing it.

I dont hold him account for the wages they're on. I simply point to examples where we've had bang average players on high wages and long contracts before and sold them, and I say that if it;s been done before, we need to expect him to do it too.

If he's being judged by some with a far more lenient measuring rod than others in the past, then that's their business. I wont be doing it.

Which examples are those?

Neither of these players were on ridiculous wages.

The wage issue has been explained to you multiple times, yet you choose to ignore it.
£50k and £40k in deals done about 5 years ago. Allowing for the insane inflation since they left, that was steep.

There is NO excuses. Make them on his behalf if you wish, but there is no historical basis for free passes.

£50k and £40k in deals done about 5 years ago. Allowing for the insane inflation since they left, that was steep.

There is NO excuses. Make them on his behalf if you wish, but there is no historical basis for free passes.

Making a £6m profit on Vlasic shows he can do it, potential £1m on Besic if the Fulham link is true, may need to risk a sizeable loss to be shut of Bolasie and Niasse though, the former may get asked to take a sizeable wage cut as well

For Brands its like moving in with a new bird and she’s got a garage full of stuff that they couldn’t sell on eBay so now he’s going to the car boot just so he can fit his Ferrari’s in the garage space it frees up.

Making a £6m profit on Vlasic shows he can do it, potential £1m on Besic if the Fulham link is true, may need to risk a sizeable loss to be shut of Bolasie and Niasse though, the former may get asked to take a sizeable wage cut as well
We have to get much more in for players than that though. £9m and £8M for Cleverely/Naismith a few seasons back would be like getting £15M for bang average players now, such has been the inflation in fees.

We have to get much more in for players than that though. £9m and £8M for Cleverely/Naismith a few seasons back would be like getting £15M for bang average players now, such has been the inflation in fees.

Double edged sword though Dave, accept too low and it'd be pointless selling but ask too much and you're left with players in limbo. Not every team is as gullible as a Villa, Fulham or Bournemouth nor have the wage structures of a top 6-8 team in the top leagues, it's about getting the right deal for all parties

Neither cleverley or naismith were on enormous wages. Naismith for his faults was a workhorse who scored goals and Cleverley was simply an average player.

Sadly the ones were trying to shift are on top player salaries.

Whose paying £10mil for Walcott or Bolasie?

Walcott just came off a truly dire season and Bolasie was loaned to the championship and anderlecht...no ones paying those fees + salaries of £100k+ a week

I simply dont accept that it's a fait accompli when a player is on a high wage that you cant shift them out. It's an absurd position. Cleverley was on £50K pw at Everton and had three years to run on th 5 year contract he signed. We shifted him to Watford for £8M.

If Brands is the DoF he's cracked up to be, he matches work like that.

Davy Klassen, left just before Brands arrived, he was on mega wedge. It can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.