• Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idoubt Brands reads GOT mate

Seriously, you have 0 impact on how the club goes about it's recruitment, none of us do and we should be grateful. Because football fans are, by and large, idiots.

What starts here goes elsewhere mate

Someone posts on GOT, it goes to another forum, which then goes to Facebook, which then goes to Twitter, which then goes to YouTube shows, which then goes to radio phone ins, which then goes to Sky Sports News etc

To think that what gets said here doesn't eventually make it's way to the decision makers at the club is inaccurate, because it definitely does

Again, the effect it has may be minimal, but this forum is absolutely not just an echo chamber. What gets said here does get elsewhere, ditto for other forums

We shouldn't put ourselves down as supporters

What starts here goes elsewhere mate

Someone posts on GOT, it goes to another forum, which then goes to Facebook, which then goes to Twitter, which then goes to YouTube shows, which then goes to radio phone ins, which then goes to Sky Sports News etc

To think that what gets said here doesn't eventually make it's way to the decision makers at the club is inaccurate, because it definitely does

Again, the effect it has may be minimal, but this forum is absolutely not just an echo chamber

We shouldn't put ourselves down as supporters

But, logically, that has only two outcomes.

Reporting of information with a basis in fact which somebody gets from somebody at the club or reporting of false information with no basis in fact that somebody makes up. Neither of these have any bearing on how the club recruits players. At least I hope to god it doesn't, because otherwise we can just forget all this talk about strategy and long term planning.

But, logically, that has only two outcomes.

Reporting of information with a basis in fact which somebody gets from somebody at the club or reporting of false information with no basis in fact that somebody makes up. Neither of these have any bearing on how the club recruits players. At least I hope to god it doesn't, because otherwise we can just forget all this talk about strategy and long term planning.

What gets to the club is "the supporters are getting unhappy over lack of signings"

It makes them aware of the discontent and the reasons for it, because that's what's relevant, not individual opinions. It lets them know it's bubbling underneath the surface

They're not looking at the forum and saying "Oh look, that Mikey Fitzgerald wants us to sign James Forrest. He seems to know what he's on about and saves Marcel a job. Quick, get Neil Lennon on the phone!"

What gets to the club is "the supporters are getting unhappy over lack of signings"

It makes them aware of the discontent and the reasons for it, because that's what's relevant, not individual opinions. They're not looking at the forum and saying "Oh look, that Mikey Fitzgerald wants us to sign James Forrest. Quick, get Neil Lennon on the phone!"

Fair enough, but that still makes me uncomfortable. I want them to execute the strategy that they, as professionals, have spent a long time formulating. I don't want them to start rushing things or getting players they can get immediately (instead of waiting a while for who they really want) on the basis that you or I are getting antsy about it.

The modern attitude is that we want everything immediately. The reality of a lot of situations is that they take time to get right. I'm happy to trust that Marcel Brands knows his business better than anyone posting on GOT.

I do genuinely think sometimes that the fan base putting pressure on the club helps get stuff over the line

I certainly think it helped with Schneiderlin for example, as the club were dragging their feet that entire window and the fans were causing so much ruckus over it that even Koeman had to speak out about it in the end and it jolted the club into some action

So I do think fan sentiment can play a part. However, I also believe that losing your mind on the 5th of July is a bit OTT. You have to pick your spots. However, if everyone just waits till the end of the window to complain then any opportunity they have to make any kind of an impact goes right out of the window

Ultimately the club will make the decision, but I think it's naive to think fan sentiment plays zero part in their decision making process. We're not ran by Mike Ashley at the end of the day, the people who run our club do I think have at least some semblance of care for what we think, even if it is only minimal
I understand and agree to an extent.
However as knowledgeable as supporters can be, if a club is being run correctly we should have no influence on transfers.
The club should have extensive knowledge based on scouting reports not only of the players ability, personality and suitability for the managers requirements but of the financial implications for the club.
Supporters by comparison base their judgements on the writing on the back of last years Panini sticker and whether the players hairstyle is desirable or not.
Pay too much attention to supporters and we may end up with such abhorrent missteps as the resigning of Rooney.
Leave it to the pro’s.
Then boo them , obviously.

Fair enough, but that still makes me uncomfortable. I want them to execute the strategy that they, as professionals, have spent a long time formulating. I don't want them to start rushing things or getting players they can get immediately (instead of waiting a while for who they really want) on the basis that you or I are getting antsy about it.

The modern attitude is that we want everything immediately. The reality of a lot of situations is that they take time to get right. I'm happy to trust that Marcel Brands knows his business better than anyone posting on GOT.

Well they're not going to care when it's the 5th of July regardless

But they will when it's getting near the end of the July

That was the whole point with Bernie saying we shouldn't complain until AFTER the window, which again, solves nothing

I understand and agree to an extent.
However as knowledgeable as supporters can be, if a club is being run correctly we should have no influence on transfers.
The club should have extensive knowledge based on scouting reports not only of the players ability, personality and suitability for the managers requirements but of the financial implications for the club.
Supporters by comparison base their judgements on the writing on the back of last years Panini sticker and whether the players hairstyle is desirable or not.
Pay too much attention to supporters and we may end up with such abhorrent missteps as the resigning of Rooney.
Leave it to the pro’s.
Then boo them , obviously.

The club is not going to sign particular players over what supporters are saying, but they will perhaps get a move on with their existing targets if supporters start putting some pressure on them to seal deals

They should, and indeed would, not pay attention to supporters on player specifics

Well they're not going to care when it's the 5th of July regardless

But they will when it's getting near the end of the July

That was the whole point with Bernie saying we shouldn't complain until AFTER the window, which again, solves nothing

I said after the window because we can still sign players right up until the eve of the new season, so on that basis, what's the point moaning now, we could have 7 or 8 players in negotiations for all we know, it's not over til it slams shut.

Either way, our voices won't have much impact, in my opinion. I just can't understand why people are getting antsy while we still have the option to purchase players.

Status
Not open for further replies.