I enjoy comparing Walsh’s last season to Brands first:

2017/18

Sig, Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, Walcott, Tosun, Vlasic, Sandro, Henry, Rooney

~£183m

2018/19

Richy, Mina, Digne, Zouma, Bernard, Gones

~£90m

Geniusm

For less than half the price unbelievable. :eek: Even Marcel's biggest detractors, must agree with this...well except for one of them anyway.lol

Tbf Digne is not what you'd describe as a particularly good defender either.
No mate, he is. It's just that he's so good going forward that it makes it look like he's not good defending.

I'll be amazed if he has another season like the last one if he isn't at a top European club this time next year.

He wont be here long, we should enjoy his performances while we can.

No mate, he is. It's just that he's so good going forward that it makes it look like he's not good defending.

I'll be amazed if he has another season like the last one if he isn't at a top European club this time next year.

He wont be here long, we should enjoy his performances while we can.

Hope we can hold onto him if he has to go it has got to be for a big fee.

Calm down

He's not really. He's a Rolls Royce of a baller but his defending can be suspect, particularly his positional sense.

He is still a good defender but the main problem is that he positions himself in advance and if we lose the ball then he looks stranded and out of position. Prime example was against Liverpool when Schnides received a simple pass to which Digne sprinted in an advanced position to receive a pass but Schnides messed up and the ball was passed to Salah who was in acres because Digne thought (correctly) that we were on the front foot so positioned himself accordingly. Tough job defending and attacking without the risk of leaving space. All dependant on no mistakes in possession and adequate cover.

He is still a good defender but the main problem is that he positions himself in advance and if we lose the ball then he looks stranded and out of position. Prime example was against Liverpool when Schnides received a simple pass to which Digne sprinted in an advanced position to receive a pass but Schnides messed up and the ball was passed to Salah who was in acres because Digne thought (correctly) that we were on the front foot so positioned himself accordingly. Tough job defending and attacking without the risk of leaving space. All dependant on no mistakes in possession and adequate cover.
I wouldn't disagree with any of that. The point is 2008 - 2015 Baines was just as good a defender as 2018/19 Digne.

Digne is like the new version.

ACTIVATE: Brandalf

I hope we bring in 2 players next week...surely some more incomings before July.

Status
Not open for further replies.