Truly world class.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

...I recall this conversation some time ago, and you’re right it does depend on the definition of World Class. My definition is ‘the player would have got a game for any team on the planet’, when they were with Everton. I also think longevity is a factor, so would include only players who were with us 2 seasons or more.

I’m 62 and reckon I have only seen 3 world class players at Everton;

Alan Ball, Ray Wilson and Neville Southall.

I consider Kanchelskis, Lineker and Rooney on the periphery but not qualifying on my definition criteria.
Good definition that, I'd say Lineker would meet the criteria.

World class players that played for Everton.. Gazza and Gionola world class at one time but not for Everton do they count?

Based on that logic Andy Van Der Meyde, ballotelli, adebuyor were world class....

I'm not here arguing for stupid rules (although I do like arguing), but since no player can be expected to play for every top club, at some point you have to form a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence at hand.

Obviously, a guy like Messi is someone that every club in the world would/should take and build their team around. Then you have guys that can "fit into/play for any team in the world." That's the floor for world class, and that's when the argument takes you to a guy like Baines, who for 2-3 years or so could be argued as such.

Obviously Lukaku (and Pogba) have flopped in Manchester*. Does that mean they're not in the world class discussion? Or do we only discussed retired/nearly retired players or anyone whose their history gives incontrovertible evidence?

*Regarding Lukaku, 28g in 66 PL appearances (1 :: 2.35) or 42g in all 96 appearances (1 :: 2.28), most of which were under Mourinho's abysmal reign, so it can be discussed separately what is "flopped**", but I think that's good enough to maintain legitimate interest for someone who turned 26 last month.

**Strike rate at Everton was much better

The last player we had that could be classed as world class while they played for us is probably kanchelskis

Baines wasn't far off at his peak though

Status
Not open for further replies.