2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe. But all that is guess work.

The facts are massive, they are in the CL final and now play in the best stadium in the world. The feel-good factor and buzz will be massive around that club now.
If they lose the final the feel good buzz will be deflated . Getting the the final is nothing if you don’t win it, in a way it can set you back. Much the same if them lot don’t win the league, having amassed that number of points and still losing, some would think what’s the point.

It’s not a narrative, it’s a fact. Football isn’t played with numbers in a database. And the majority of clubs have their own sports science departments.

But it’s ok, you’ve logged onto whoscored so that’s more important.

Like I said it’s a good job you weren’t around in the 80’s, you would have had Reid and Bracewell booted and told us that Sheedy didn’t dribble past enough people
The narrative that Gomes is a playmaker is not a fact. It’s quite the opposite and that’s the point.

I also was around in the 80s and I bet you if Opta was doing the same thing then, all three of those players, ESPECIALLY Sheedy would’ve looked just as good statistically. Stats are not random, good players don’t look bad statistically. Playmakers actually make plays and those plays usually measurable. So stop this absurd idea that I wouldn’t like a good player because their numbers would be bad, because that’s literally impossible and a complete misinterpretation of how stats are used by sports teams. The only critique is whether or not the model makes sense. The model = what makes a good player and how it’s measure. Now if you want to argue that I value defensive contributions too much in a central midfielder, fine.

To apply that to Gomes, I believe he’s good in possession, can go by guys with the ball, spray long passes to help with our build up, etc. I can also see with my eyes how Gomes gets bypassed in midfield. It’s painfully obvious to me. I can see that he’s a step slow. I can see how he fouls as a result. The numbers simply validate what any educated eye should be seeing. Providing evidence to back that up isn’t some terrible sin against the beautiful game.

I apologize when stats ruin people's narratives... that would also explain why all these clubs are either hiring data folks or spending a fortune on boutique analysis firms.

Stats serve a purpose and clubs will spend money whenever there is a possibility to get a competitive advantage. However, over reliance on stats is a big problem in the modern game, something which Steve Walsh (and others) have personified.

Re Gomes, there is clearly a reason Barca wanted him when he was playing well for Valencia and there is a reason Spurs want him now. His stats may not show that he scores goals and gets assists, but anyone who watches him play can see that he helps massively in the transition from defence to attack. If you manage a team which wants to play football from the back, he's a huge asset.

The narrative that Gomes is a playmaker is not a fact. It’s quite the opposite and that’s the point.

I also was around in the 80s and I bet you if Opta was doing the same thing then, all three of those players, ESPECIALLY Sheedy would’ve looked just as good statistically. Stats are not random, good players don’t look bad statistically. Playmakers actually make plays and those plays usually measurable. So stop this absurd idea that I wouldn’t like a good player because their numbers would be bad, because that’s literally impossible and a complete misinterpretation of how stats are used by sports teams. The only critique is whether or not the model makes sense. The model = what makes a good player and how it’s measure. Now if you want to argue that I value defensive contributions too much in a central midfielder, fine.

To apply that to Gomes, I believe he’s good in possession, can go by guys with the ball, spray long passes to help with our build up, etc. I can also see with my eyes how Gomes gets bypassed in midfield. It’s painfully obvious to me. I can see that he’s a step slow. I can see how he fouls as a result. The numbers simply validate what any educated eye should be seeing. Providing evidence to back that up isn’t some terrible sin against the beautiful game.

When he signs shall we sack brands and silva because you know best

Stats are only useful if you know how to read them.
Which isn't always easy. Player performance can involve lots of variables across leagues, teams/tactics, etc.

For it to be valuable, I think you need to know what you value in a player overall, in certain roles, positions, etc. Then you need to understand how to even measure and then capture those things that you value. That varies club by club and tactic by tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.