2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this constant criticism of Gomes from you, if you watch as much football as you say how can you not see how he controls the pace and direction of our game?
Did he knob your missus or something , is that the reason ?
Anybody who is seen as a threat to Gana gets the same treatment.;)

I don't get this constant criticism of Gomes from you, if you watch as much football as you say how can you not see how he controls the pace and direction of our game?
Did he knob your missus or something , is that the reason ?
I was his biggest advocate prior to him coming here. He helps in possession considerably. Fantastic in the dribble, great passing range. Helps with our build up and transition no question. He's done what I hoped he would do - my biggest concern, which I voiced at the time, was that he was poor defensively and might be too slow to own a central midfield in the PL.

I rip him because everyone else says utterly absurd stuff about him. No one else says anything negative about him. Yet others rip guys like Sigurdsson or Gana for CRAZY reasons. I try to be rational. I also from a coaching philosophy am very defensive oriented, so maybe that's what I notice more than others. So to me, our BIGGEST weakness as a club is our central midfield. I just think we can do soooo much better.

He was a smart loan move. No problem with him being here. Lovely guy, class on the ball. Fun to watch for most.

If he was creative, wouldn't he actually create something? He doesn't. He is 18th on the team in Key Passes per game, behind players like Michael Keane and Jerry Mina. He's 17th on the team in chances created in open play per 90 minutes. He's one of the least creative players in the entire side. I wish he was better.

Gana Gueye, who everyone agrees is limited in terms of going forward, averages twice as many in both categories. He also averages considerably more passes forward than Gomes (and everyone else in the team) and about the same number of passes sideways. Gana is certainly not creative, correct?

He's also legitimately terrible defensively. He's one of the 5 worst players in the league at getting dribbled past. He also average more fouls per game than everyone in the entire league. He's slow, probably too slow for this league, which would be fine if he was good positionally, but he averages less than an interception per game while playing defensive midfield often. This is completely obvious WITHOUT the stats and just by watching the game, but it almost NEVER gets mentioned for some strange reason.

So to me, the ONLY explanation for why some of this board and others think so highly of the guy is that they are simply blinded by his dribbling and his good passing range. I wish it produced more. I wish others could see how obviously bad he is defensively - it's SO obvious and certainly frustrating to watch.

Koff with the stats

Anybody who is seen as a threat to Gana gets the same treatment.;)
Hardly. Gana has limitations, no question. But no one attacks Gomes the way they attack Gana. I will continue to chime up when I read stuff that is clearly irrational. Gana doesn't pass forward...yet he leads our team in passes forward. Gana is bad in possession...yet he loses possession much less than virtually every one of our field players while possessing it more.

So it has nothing to do with Gana. It has to do with stupid.

Ideally both please.
BINGO.

It's about both. Not just one. We've got a supremely technical player in Gylfi that is limited athletically. Gana is a bit of the opposite. They are going to - and should - play. That means that 3rd midfielder better be both and REALLY REALLY good.

Too slow, doesn’t create much and is poor defensively.....apart from that he’s a decent bloke? We can do better? Care to suggest who and for how much money?
He's outstanding with the ball in terms of possession. For a side that is bad at it, that is important.

There have been like 10-15 central/defensive mids listed in the summer window thread. Many my me and others.

BINGO.

It's about both. Not just one. We've got a supremely technical player in Gylfi that is limited athletically. Gana is a bit of the opposite. They are going to - and should - play. That means that 3rd midfielder better be both and REALLY REALLY good.

If we don’t buy Gomes I’ll be gutted.

Sniff me.

Status
Not open for further replies.