Atmosphere at home games........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I didn't make much of the atmosphere against United but times have probably changed from when I was going regularly 7 years ago.

I appreciate the lads trying to do something about the atmosphere but you're right, it's not going to change. The majority of our fans don't really like to sing or stand up. It'll continue to be as dreary as it has been for a long time to come, probably getting worse if anything.
Brilliant atmosphere against United.

Nothing wrong with a bit of vocal backing, forced, contrived, spontaneous or whatever. Spontaneous is obviously preferred but I wouldn't expect that against Burnley. Fair play to the Gwladys in recent weeks. I like the banners and flags. They've all helped create a better atmosphere. It's great to actually hear some songs and pride back.

Makes a change from the repetitive booing and shouts of TURN.

People saying "forced atmophere" as though it's a bad thing. Yeah it's so awful that people are actually trying to have a go and make sone noise rather then just sitting on their hands in total silance all game like it's been for the last couple of years isn't it?!

Yes it's better when the 'Goodison Roar' just comes naturally and everyone is involved but needs be when the devil vomits onto you. Fri might not of been spectacular by any means and yeah it was an effort to get everyone involved at times but it was still a million miles better then it's been for the bulk of the last four or five years at Goodison. Some of us are trying to improve the atmophere, maybe if the hipsters actually got involved themselves every now and then it wouldn't feel so "forced" to them.

Oh BTW, singing older songs on the last home game of the season has been a thing for as long back as I rember. Been going in for donkeys years.

If any hipsters reckon just getting behind the team is forced then they're the reason that the atmophere at Goodison had been trash for so long.

People saying "forced atmophere" as though it's a bad thing. Yeah it's so awful that people are actually trying to have a go and make sone noise rather then just sitting on their hands in total silance all game like it's been for the last couple of years isn't it?!

Yes it's better when the 'Goodison Roar' just comes naturally and everyone is involved but needs be when the devil vomits onto you. Fri might not of been spectacular by any means and yeah it was an effort to get everyone involved at times but it was still a million miles better then it's been for the bulk of the last four or five years at Goodison. Some of us are trying to improve the atmophere, maybe if the hipsters actually got involved themselves every now and then it wouldn't feel so "forced" to them.

Oh BTW, singing older songs on the last home game of the season has been a thing for as long back as I rember. Been going in for donkeys years.

If any hipsters reckon just getting behind the team is forced then they're the reason that the atmophere at Goodison had been trash for so long.
Good post. Funny as well how years ago no one ever used the phrases forcing or manufacturing an atmosphere.

It was, and is, a case of fans starting off songs and joining in with nearby fans who start songs off.

With respect I sit in the Gwladys street and the Burnley game was so forced.

'The Orginals' supposedly wanna create an atmosphere and condemn 'ya da' to another stand - yet here they were singing 'Theres nobody better then Mikel Arteta' (refernced because its the only one I knew) and many other years gone by chants, Radcliffe etx.

Forced atmosphere - which btw Burnley had none.
That was an acid test, all the games previous where 'big games' so there was gonna be an atmosphere. Thats not to say Burnley, shouldn't have an atmosphere - but it really didn't.

As for waving flags that doesn't create an atmosphere - it creates a spectical. At atmosphere is generated by cheering, clapping, singing, chanting etc.

Least we forgot 'The Originals' happily supported us loosing to City. Hypocrites of the higest order.

I'm 26 - been a seasont ticket holder for 19 years- on Friday before people wanna throw out some comments. I've supported Everton throughout a period they have had zero success - the atmosphere has always been there if the team reciprocate with effort. No effort, then the crowd become disengaged.

Trying to force at atmosphere doesn't do anyone any level of good when you support City one week, and then sing years gone by songs the next. When an atmosphere is nature and passionate you feel it and it means something.

Safe to say they didn't credit themselves for the Burnley atmosphere, but were all over the other matches like it was there doing.
They were unable to get tickets together v Burnley

Sadly the RS showed us on Tuesday night that if a home crowd gets behind its team from the first second to the last then anything is possible.

All this "they have to give us something to shout about" bulls**t is counterproductive.

Well aren't you a bundle of joy...

Whereabouts is your seat in the Gwladys?

Behind the goal row DD.
Not gotta give a seat number - and lbh even if I did theres little substance behind it.
The same way there is little substance to your question - its more at attempt to 'catch me out', becuase how dare someone have an alternative view, yet sit in the Gwladys. Can't be true, clearly an imposter.

Sadly the RS showed us on Tuesday night that if a home crowd gets behind its team from the first second to the last then anything is possible.

All this "they have to give us something to shout about" bulls**t is counterproductive.
I didntwatch it but I believe you. I think most fans would get behind their team in a semi, their stadium design happens tobe one of the best at keeping the noise and transferring it to the pitch

Anfield as a stadium is good at keeping in noise and transferring it around the ground quickly. I think with the size of their kop it takes a higher number to join in for it to get going. Tottenham I expect will be the same.

Not great at the average games, ie assuming 10 rows of fans are making noise at the back they are still 60+ rows from the pitch, so they need more to instigate it to get that stand going. Whereas as a smaller stand 10 rows of fans would generate the atmosphere for the whole stand. So it can be a balancing act between getting a stadium right for your average games but also for the big games too.

A lot of atmosphere is down to stadium design. It's not like one set of fans are born with louder voices. Of course other things come into it like ticketing fan attitude, where noise is generated etc. I think that's why it's so important Bramley Moore is right, and it does tick most boxes, not all but that's down to site restrictions.

People seem to forget that for about 40 years (95 aside) Everton have given the fans almost nothing but disappointment.

It's the culmination of the 40 years of misery that stop most of the fans screaming, clapping, singing and supporting blindly while the team disappoints again.

People get encouraged and give encouragement when the team does something. It's a two way street. Rack up a half a dozen good displays and it gives the fans something to look forward to and to sing and to cheer in hope.

I never understand when people lay all the blame on the fans and atmosphere when 90% of the time the team are utter garbage. I wouldn't cheer garbage, but I'd cheer a gang of lads running their arse off trying.

It's cause and effect. The WE and us regarding Everton are the fans and the team, not just the fans.

Also, don't forget the cynicism in today's fans. Paying a fortune to watch multi millionaires do nothing but fail yet still get paid doesn't sit well with people.

But that's just my opinion.

People seem to forget that for about 40 years (95 aside) Everton have given the fans almost nothing but disappointment.

It's the culmination of the 40 years of misery that stop most of the fans screaming, clapping, singing and supporting blindly while the team disappoints again.

People get encouraged and give encouragement when the team does something. It's a two way street. Rack up a half a dozen good displays and it gives the fans something to look forward to and to sing and to cheer in hope.

I never understand when people lay all the blame on the fans and atmosphere when 90% of the time the team are utter garbage. I wouldn't cheer garbage, but I'd cheer a gang of lads running their arse off trying.

It's cause and effect. The WE and us regarding Everton are the fans and the team, not just the fans.

Also, don't forget the cynicism in today's fans. Paying a fortune to watch multi millionaires do nothing but fail yet still get paid doesn't sit well with people.

But that's just my opinion.

Most grounds across the country has a smaller area for fans who want to sing, the ones who haven't been ground down by mediocrity! Like those teams we have both sets of fans. Look at the concourses on matches, they're the ones who want to create an atmosphere, look to the sides some don't want to join in, again that's fine. Goodison is big enough for both sets of fans.

I don't really go along with the they've been paid x millions reasons. If people were annoyed by it they wouldn't go, also they're not bothered about the pay when they win, and they play against players on the same wages. Looking back in time too, you'd read about fans moaning about the players on an extra few shillings a week while they have to work 5.5 days a week for less. So that disparity has always been there. I'm not saying the pay is right, I just don't think it's a factor. .

The reason singing sections came about in the Sky era was as a reaction against the Sky effect and the onset of reserved seating. Fans who traditionally stood together couldn't. You'd have families, non singers mixed in with them, standing banned. This led to reduced atmosphere and singing only after major incidents and then only singing when winning.
Singing sections were always a reaction against that, and are a positive sign of fans using their brains at the match to overcome the barriers that stifle the atmosphere.

Re fans being displaced, a handful of fans were asked to move 5 rows back, that's it.

Not for me, Nev.

“singing sections” is Kopite behaviour IMO.

Now, I am all for keeping the sirens and I am coming to love the flags.....but “singing sections” is a step too far for me.

You see, we aren’t big into singing at home matches, never have been.

Away it is different....we chant all through the game.

But when Goodison rocks it is to the sound of Blue thunder......people are yelling and roaring at the top of their voices, not singing and a wall of sound reverberates around the Old Lady, intimidating opposition players......with sporadic chanting and singing chucked in.

Pure, raw emotion.....no cheerleading required :)

Not for me, Nev.

“singing sections” is Kopite behaviour IMO.

Now, I am all for keeping the sirens and I am coming to love the flags.....but “singing sections” is a step too far for me.

You see, we aren’t big into singing at home matches, never have been.

Away it is different....we chant all through the game.

But when Goodison rocks it is to the sound of Blue thunder......people are yelling and roaring at the top of their voices, not singing and a wall of sound reverberates around the Old Lady, intimidating opposition players......with sporadic chanting and singing chucked in.

Pure, raw emotion.....no cheerleading required :)

Singing sections don't have to be for everyone, just the fans that want them.

As you know the traditional singing section was behind the goal in the Gwladys Street. Most songs would originate there. For some reason our fans have attached a stigma to the phrase "singing section" in recent times. It is just a section of the ground where the singing mainly comes from. It isn't kopite behaviour whatsoever. The singing section still exists in GT4 but it is interspersed with fans who are just there for the view whereas in terracing it was more fans there for the singing.

Those matches where Goodison rocks, those songs still originate in the main from GT4.
Plus in GT4 during those great lengthy noisy moments it is non stop singing with the odd shouting thrown in. rather than the other way round.

Singing sections don't have to be for everyone, just the fans that want them.

As you know the traditional singing section was behind the goal in the Gwladys Street. Most songs would originate there. For some reason our fans have attached a stigma to the phrase "singing section" in recent times. It is just a section of the ground where the singing mainly comes from. It isn't kopite behaviour whatsoever. The singing section still exists in GT4 but it is interspersed with fans who are just there for the view whereas in terracing it was more fans there for the singing.

Those matches where Goodison rocks, those songs still originate in the main from GT4.
Plus in GT4 during those great lengthy noisy moments it is non stop singing with the odd shouting thrown in. rather than the other way round.

Indeed.

And long ago I stood on the Street joining in.

But that was not a designated “singing section”.

It was spontaneous.....and that’s the way it should be,

Indeed.

And long ago I stood on the Street joining in.

But that was not a designated “singing section”.

It was spontaneous.....and that’s the way it should be,
It didn't need to be officially designated then because it was a terrace so fans could go where they wanted. It was still unofficially designated though, because everyone knew that was where you went if you wanted to sing.

Now fans have a harder task as it's reserved seating, so they have to use their brains a bit more to congregate in the stands and stand up and sing.

It's still spontaneous once in a singing section. The organisation is only about ticketing, getting your tickets together in a place where you can stand without being told to sit, and trying to get it as exclusive to like minded fans as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.