2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me the back end of this season and the ambition the club supposedly has - We should be winning half our games,
drawing half of the ones we don’t win. Maximum 9 losses.
Which would leave us at 66 points.
Anything above that - and we will have done really well and be pushing for top four.

Some of the posts in this thread are wildly optimistic considering it’s to discuss minimum requirements.

Minimum requirement for me would be 7th/8th and good cup runs. Anyone expecting (the key word here) us to break in the top 6 is daft.

So basically this season but we stay in the cups for an extra round or two?

Seriously is that the minimum requirement for this club?

Depends on what business we do in the transfer market.

If we sign the same calibre of players we signed last summer it should push us upwards from the get go , the foundations are well and truly now laid.

With the right quality in the key positions to be upgraded it should be at the bare minimum Europe plus no silly slip ups in the cups.
Also key is keeping our better players , and adding to them.

Minimum Top 6.

So basically this season but we stay in the cups for an extra round or two?

Seriously is that the minimum requirement for this club?
This was sorta my original point.

A decent cup run is one where you win the cup. Anything else is crap, cup-wise.

The summer is critical to us, we will be operating in tight margins and at this stage id settle for rationilastion of the squad. Much will depend on the freedom that creates in the market, to go again.

As the crow flies id look for developing players, rationalising the squad, continued improved performances and the Europa or the very least being competitive for it. Its a three year job in my eyes.

RS and City are out of reach. United will spend big and ought to be out of reach also.

Based on our late-season form we are probably currently as good as anybody else, though. If we can get a striker, and either sign or get good replacements for Gomes and Zouma, then I don't see why we can't mix it up with Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea. United too if they don't reach the heights that are expected of them.

Goes without saying that a cup needs to be won sooner or later.

I guess it depends on the business we do in the summer. There are teams above us that are there to be got at. Forget about City and Liverpool, but the rest are in a bit of a weird state. Chelsea are losing Hazard and have a transfer ban, Spurs could lose their manager if they don't back him, Arsenal need a brand new defence and Utd looked absolutely wrecked and can't even offer potential new signings champions league footy.

Having said that, I've promised myself never to be optimistic about Everton ever again lol

I would like no bad runs longer than 2-3 games. This season for me had two major bad patches and reasons for them. The first was about 8 games towards the start of the season due to the (zonal) defence not performing as expected - that I believe Silva resolved with a lot of work on the training pitch behind the scenes. The second was after the Pickford derby where we had a stinker of a run and we lacked cohesion and purpose and a little confidence in our style of play - again something that I think has been worked on a lot behind the scenes to get us to where we are now.

I looked at the rs last year and one thing I noted was that they might have a bad game, but the next game they were back on it. This year the same, but they've not been punished for the bad games. This is what Silva has to get to next season for me. I expect the odd hiccup and the odd bad day at the office, but I don't want to see a string of them happening. If he does this with the team we have, then we should be challenging the top 6 positions for the entire season, and that is my bare minimum. If it comes up with 7th or dodgy cup runs then so be it. My caveat would be that the style of play will have to be such that we're entertained and can see that if we stick with it, then we can still see a way to progress to compete with the best in the league in the next few seasons.

The minimum requirement for me would be to get 60 points.

We should be going all out for both the cups, no messing about with second choice goalies against premier league opposition again.

Status
Not open for further replies.