2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on mate... you can't seriously believe Gana is a more creative player than Gomes. How much have you smoked before watching us play?
In terms of creating opportunities for his teammates, he's one of the worst in the entire league. The fact that some of you think otherwise isn't surprising, but it's not true. I know I know, STATS ARE BAD. But I see it clear as day, the stats just happen to agree with me. Keep in mind, these aren't small margins, it's not even close. So everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the preponderance of evidence is there.

I'm sorry that some of you probably think Gana doesnt pass forward and that he loses the ball a lot. You are wrong.

Look, he's lovely on the ball, great dribbler, and I'm glad everyone finds him entertaining, but that's a very small part of the game. I personally cannot remember a pass he made that created some sort of opportunity for a teammate.

I'm not sure if he is or isn't, but I do know that Gomes creates almost nothing and isn't real good on defense. Yet apparently he's an amazing passer or gets on the front foot or something. I've never seen so many so irrationally supportive of a player.

Nobody is saying hes better than Redondo, they are saying hes better than Sissoko, a much improved player granted, a player with power and pace, but he doesnt have the range of passing that Gomes has. Its a silly comparison, they are nothing alike as players, vastly different skillset.

Watching the match?

I'm genuinely beginning to wonder if you've actually seen us play - do you just watch match of the day highlights perhaps?

Gomes is the finest passer of the ball we've had in the team for a long time. Easily since Arteta.
I watch every match, usually multiple times. And that may be the craziest opinion I've ever read on this board.

In terms of creating opportunities for his teammates, he's one of the worst in the entire league. The fact that some of you think otherwise isn't surprising, but it's not true. I know I know, STATS ARE BAD. But I see it clear as day, the stats just happen to agree with me. Keep in mind, these are small margins,

Look, he's lovely on the ball, great dribbler, and I'm glad everyone finds him entertaining, but that's a very small part of the game.

If the stats suggest he doesn't "create chances", then that is because most of his work is done on or before the half way line. He helps to get the ball to the attacking players quickly and precisely, playing them into space where they can then create the chances. Gomes plays the ball forward with purpose and picks out passes which our other deep lying midfielders simply can't pick out. He's a vital part of transitioning from defence to attack.

I feel like you've completely missed the point of his game, because he isn't a great dribbler or "entertaining" in a show-boating way. He does, however, have a lot of class about him and is very creative.

Nobody is saying hes better than Redondo, they are saying hes better than Sissoko, a much improved player granted, a player with power and pace, but he doesnt have the range of passing that Gomes has. Its a silly comparison, they are nothing alike as players, vastly different skillset.
Uh someone just declared him our best passer since Arteta.

Range is one thing. Creating opportunities for others is another. Which makes you a better passer? I'm not sure.

And I said they were different players. But to suggest that Sissoko might be better surely isn't crazy. The point is that why would Spurs move for Gomes if they already have Sissoko? Different players, but would Gomes make them much better than Sissoko? It's a legit question.

Uh someone just declared him our best passer since Arteta.

Range is one thing. Creating opportunities for others is another. Which makes you a better passer? I'm not sure.

And I said they were different players. But to suggest that Sissoko might be better surely isn't crazy. The point is that why would Spurs move for Gomes if they already have Sissoko? Different players, but would Gomes make them much better than Sissoko? It's a legit question.

I dont think they would be buying him to replace Sissoko.

I mean, to take an extreme example, but would you put Gomes in this side?

whammer.jpg

I dont think they would be buying him to replace Sissoko.

I mean, to take an extreme example, but would you put Gomes in this side?

View attachment 57619
Of course not. He’s a defensive liability, so he can’t play the DM in place of Dier - CBs would get exposed and he certainly can’t get wide if the intent is to push either of the fullback to push higher. He’s nowhere near as good as Eriksen or Alli in general. He’d make the bench, sure. Which is exactly my point. Is he more useful than Sissoko for Spurs? Not sure that he is.

Newsflash - we haven't really had that many prolific playmakers since Arteta. Who would you consider a better passer of the ball in our recent history? Gana Gueye excluded....

Fair, but are we talking playmakers? Because I think of creating chances as a play maker. And Gana, who we all know is limited in his offensive abilities, does it better, so he’s not what I think of as a playmaker.

Look, he is good at ball retention. He’s a FANTASTIC dribbler. But if all he does is move it up to our forwards, even quickly, or holds the ball and helps our transition - which by the way was exactly the reason I wanted us to sign him in the first place - that’s valuable, especially in this side as we lack it. But IMO it’s not enough. That’s a really limited role. Without the ball, he should be able to contribute a lot more in protecting the back line if he’s going to play deeper. Winning the ball back. He’s just not a good defensive player, at least not in the PL. He’s slow. He’s not good at positioning. As a result, he gets passed by a TON or he’s forced to foul, which he does constantly, which is very bad for a team that’s not so good defending set pieces.

So that’s why I always feel compelled to chime in about Gomes because so many are in love with the guy for reasons that are more style over substance IMO.

And this idea they he’s devoid of creating anything is still a bit ridiculous. I’m not asking him to create like Sigurdsson. There are plenty of other midfielders in this league that play similar roles, but also support the attack better and create more chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.