Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never really replaced the Esk in the finance aspect either. How are you going to claim you have a shot at the forum title when you don't have a big numbers guy. How many seasons since he went? I know lots never warmed to him and still mock him for his output elsewhere, but to go 2 (?) seasons and not invest in one of those. Shambles.

@hibbo'sclass is our numbers guy, you don't realise the work he does until you drop him and then suddenly it all falls apart and you realise he was the foundations on which we built.

Bolasie are you serious. And I would sell all ( if we could I’d rather have the under 23’s as back up.

Been searching for an article that I read sometime ago. It compared different strikers and their playing styles and what made them the players they really are. Not the top ones. The second tier and third tier ones. And Bolasie was one of them. I will dig out that article if I can find it. But it went on to suggest that his loan at Villa wasnt successful because of the way they were setup. And it is more than likely that it is the reason why he wasnt able to score more at Palace and here. But you maybe right in the sense that if we are to compete in the league (and 2 cup competitions), we must be ruthless and not have any sentiments about any players.

In an ideal world being the key mate. You cant have 20 players of the highest calibre in the team. Well at City and PSG probably. But not at the genuinely managed clubs. The premier league has allowed 23 players to be declared as the PL squad.

McCarthy, Schneiderlin, Vlasic, Baningime, Dowell, Besic, Bolasie, Niasse, Tosun, Mirallas, Sandro, Tarashaj

Possibly Walcott

3 GKs. Pickford, Stekelenburg and Hewelt/Virginia. We are good here.

Out of the remaining 20 players, lets split into 8 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 strikers.

Coleman, Keane, Zouma, Digne - Main defenders.
Baines, Jagielka, Mina, Kenny - Backups

But we need atleast 1 CB here that can complement Jagielka and fight for that spot. Then we will have 3 CBs fighting for 2 spots. And if we are to sell Jagielka, Baines and Pennington, then we WILL be a lot short. We dont want to over rely on our youths for a starting spot in the premier league.

Gueye, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Gomes - Main midfielders
Schneiderlin, Davies - Backup

We are a whole lot short here and we HAVE to invest in an ball playing CM that will allow Sigurdsson to push forward.

Pickford; Stekelenburg; Virginia;

New RB; Coleman; Keane; Mina; Holgate; Zouma; Digne; Gibson/Robinson;

New CM; Gueye; Gomes; Davies;
New RM; Lookman; Onyekuru; Sigurdsson; Bernard; Richarlison;

New CF; Calvert-Lewin

There's three keepers and 20 outfield players going off what we've read. Lookman is questionable obviously. If everything goes to plan that will probably be our squad. (Richarlison can double up as a centre forward too)

Hes played 39 games in Europe for Shakhtar.

For United hes participated in 17 league games in a stop/start season in a different country with a different style of play under two managers and in a toxic environment.

Is it such a stretch to imagine a player capped 5 times for Brazil last season and wanted by both city and United may just be struggling to adapt?

Whats the risk for us? £120k a week and a loan fee...send him back if hes rubbish...activate a clause if hes good.
Is it a stretch to say the player who's been crap is crap? Personally I think their are cheaper and higher potential players all over the place that would be better.

Is it a stretch to say the player who's been crap is crap? Personally I think their are cheaper and higher potential players all over the place that would be better.
To be completely honest I really rated Fred at Shahktar (as I did a certain other little Brazillian) and I do perhaps think that making the 'jump' to United was probably a bit too soon for him in hindsight. Big fee and lots of expectation on a young player coming from a foreign league playing in an especially important position on the pitch. Still think he has potential personally - needs an arm around him and a better environment in general.

I'd welcome him at Everton, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Is Football Manager on sale or something?

Chatting more Bubbles than Michael Jackson eating Hubba Bubba and sipping a Soda Stream at Upton Park!

Chatting more Bubbles than Michael Jackson eating Hubba Bubba and sipping a Soda Stream at Upton Park!

Echo have said 20 out and 6 in is the plan. People are then theorizing what the squad will look like after that. Hardly outlandish stuff to be fair.

If Morgan could sort his head out he’d be a decent backup in midfield. He’s come in having hardly played and hit the ground with solid performances.

The Echo? As in that Local Rag?

Yeah? Hence people discussing it in case it's true. Nobody has gone out and put their house on it like.

Also since last summer the Echo have receiving information directly from the club again. It's hardly come from Goal.com

When were we in for him?

Thats a lie.

Funnily enough, anyone with an interest in European teams in the champions league would have noticed Shakhtar with Bernard (now our player) and Fred.

They would have seen a player who was capped by Brazil and was the subject of £55mil bids from City and United.

Clearly, neither of you have watched him bar an abysmal performance against us. Yet Marcel Brands has stated hes after players in the top 6 squads.

Seeing as Digne, Gomes and Mina were squad players at Barca i think its fair to say Fred may have been someone under consideration, you know based on his entire career and not on a couple of games in a dire team devoid of confidence or strategy.
With respect Zat, it's clear that indeed you haven't watched enough of him.

Your recommendation for us to sign him is based entirely on theory rather than practice.

- In theory he should be good signing because Utd bought him for fifty odd million a year a go
- In theory he should be good signing because he's played for Brazil
- In theory he should be good signing because he has played in the Champions League
- In theory he should be good signing because he has resale value
- In theory he should be good signing because he fits the mould of Brands looking to purchase fringe players from the teams above us

Theory is all well and good.

In practice, having watched a lot of Utd because they're always on Sky or BT, he isn't very good. Gary Neville actually did a decent little analysis of him last night:

- He skips into challenges
- He cheats positionally
- He doesn't read the game
- He isn't sharp enough with the ball
- He hasn't got legs in the recovery

You might like him, and good on you if you do. We all have players we want to be good and often the theory of them corroborates our view that they would be a good addition. But watching Fred as I would recommend you do would confirm that he isn't cut out for a team who isn't that much better than us on current standing.

That doesn't make him a bad player or mean he shouldn't have played in the CL.It just means on current evidence he isn't cut out for the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.