Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shambles is the word for it mate, you're completely spot on.

Look at RAWK, look at RedCafe, they both have numbers fella and they're competing right up there for Forum Silverware. If we want to be taken seriously as a force in the game again and compete on a Forum European level, the board has got to step in and find us a 2000 financial posts a season man.
Does this mean we could have an "Alternative League Table" thread.
Always been jealous of that.

Yes I agree I'm not a stats advocate at all, I also don't watch Spurs so couldn't comment on his tackles and clearances either. So in that case I had to have a glance at the numbers and there's not much between them on paper.
I'd also love to see us get in a couple of younger WUMs from the South American forums were they really get snide. I think our forum's WUM merchants are probably getting too long in the tooth though maybe alright as squad WUMming over easy to fume threads.

In a perfect world you don't want "squad players." You want 20 outfield players who could all start and you wouldn't feel your heart sink if they did.
Not sure we could manage that many top players mate. I reckon 15/16 tops and then around 10 younger players taking up the squad positions. In that I'd include possibly the likes of Calvert-Lewin, Lookman, Vlasic, Onyekuru, Davies, Banningime, Holgate, Kenny, Robinson, and Virginia. 3 full Internationals in that list plus numerous U21 regulars at top nations. Not exactly a motley crew.

In a perfect world you don't want "squad players."

Every successful team ever has had squad players

Even Man United in the 90's had the likes of Brian McClair, Van Der Howe etc

Do we need 20 of them? No, we don't which is why some of the players you listed will get moved on if we can help it, but no team has a full squad of players who are all first XI standard, not even City or Liverpool

Every successful team ever has had squad players

Even Man United in the 90's had the likes of Brian McClair, Van Der Howe etc

Do we need 20 of them? No, we don't which is why some of the players you listed will get moved on if we can help it, but no team has a full squad of players who are all first XI standard, not even City or Liverpool

Not 20 players of equal ability or quality. 20 players who are feasible starting players. Every one of the 16 players out on loan aren't feasible first team options as they're mostly all terrible.

Schneiderlin was quoted as being kept as a "squad player" and he's one of the few who could be but not on his salary. Can't have a "squad player" as one of your top earners.

As much as it's good to know that club have what everyone agrees is the right strategy this summer, does it not strike anyone else as a bit strange that it's being made public?

Isn't it harder to sell players when everyone knows you want to get rid of them? Isn't it it more expensive to recruit players when the selling clubs know that you need them in whatever the position is?

In a perfect world you don't want "squad players." You want 20 outfield players who could all start and you wouldn't feel your heart sink if they did.

In an ideal world being the key mate. You cant have 20 players of the highest calibre in the team. Well at City and PSG probably. But not at the genuinely managed clubs. The premier league has allowed 23 players to be declared as the PL squad.

McCarthy, Schneiderlin, Vlasic, Baningime, Dowell, Besic, Bolasie, Niasse, Tosun, Mirallas, Sandro, Tarashaj

Possibly Walcott

3 GKs. Pickford, Stekelenburg and Hewelt/Virginia. We are good here.

Out of the remaining 20 players, lets split into 8 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 strikers.

Coleman, Keane, Zouma, Digne - Main defenders.
Baines, Jagielka, Mina, Kenny - Backups

But we need atleast 1 CB here that can complement Jagielka and fight for that spot. Then we will have 3 CBs fighting for 2 spots. And if we are to sell Jagielka, Baines and Pennington, then we WILL be a lot short. We dont want to over rely on our youths for a starting spot in the premier league.

Gueye, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Gomes - Main midfielders
Schneiderlin, Davies - Backup

We are a whole lot short here and we HAVE to invest in an ball playing CM that will allow Sigurdsson to push forward.

Strikers we need atleast 3. Two wingers and a striker if everyone off your list has to leave. But thats not going to happen. We cant sell first team players and rely on 16 year olds as backups to compete in the league. We will need a 32/33 year old striker who will be happy off the bench and a couple of understudies to him and DCL.

On wages front, assuming these 20 players have an average wage of 100k, thats 2m a week of wages freed.

We would need a CB, a FB, a CM, 2 Strikers and a winger irrespective of the players leaving to even complete the first team XI. I doubt we (or anyone in the history of football) are dumb enough to sign off 20 players and have only 6 players sign in.

Status
Not open for further replies.