Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting part is the brands interview suggesting that our targets are identified which suggests to me that a plan is in place regardless of wear we where potentially finishing.
I realise its usually out of bounds for football management but just maybe he has more than one plan depending on where we finish.....

What league was his parent club in, when we actually signed him? They were a championship side.

Let make things clear here.

People are mentioning Maddison, Brooks and Grealish as examples. I don’t agree these players are good enough for Everton if we have the aspiration of breaking into top 6.

I am not saying lower leagues players cannot improve a top side. Of course not. Many players were bought in from lower leagues but they were bought as youth players/prospect/investment. Things like Chelsea and City do.

Can you recall a top 7th side buy a Championship player and put him in the line-up instantly and got instant success? I just can’t recall one in recent years (Cahill and Lescott of course). That’s what I am saying all along.

People are mentioning Maddison, Brooks and Grealish as examples. I don’t agree these players are good enough for Everton if we have the aspiration of breaking into top 6.

I am not saying lower leagues players cannot improve a top side. Of course not. Many players were bought in from lower leagues but they were bought as youth players/prospect/investment. Things like Chelsea and City do.

Can you recall a top 7th side buy a Championship player and put him in the line-up instantly and got instant success? I just can’t recall one in recent years (Cahill and Lescott of course). That’s what I am saying all along.
Maddison is defo good enough he is proper quality mate, Spurs want him to replace Eriksson if he leaves by all accounts so it looks like he may get a move to a top 6 team anyway. But he is a good player if you watch him.

Maddison is defo good enough he is proper quality mate, Spurs want him to replace Eriksson if he leaves by all accounts so it looks like he may get a move to a top 6 team anyway. But he is a good player if you watch him.

He is still young though.

I think the point I was making is a top side just do not go out and bring in a regular starting Championship player at his respective club and start him instantly and he brings instant impact.

If players are bought in as prospect and develop. Of course.

Well, it depends on the amortization convention of course. Certainly it's straight line over the life of the underlying contract - and if that contract is extended, it could be extended even further I believe, but it depends on how it starts - 1/2 year, monthly, etc.

Regardless, it appears we have paid most of our fees for the past year up front to the tune of $100M. My guess is that "trade debtors" is not as much about deferred transfer payments, but the accounting terminology is different in the UK than it is in the states. I also haven't done much commercial accounting recently, so I'm a bit out of practice.

So in summary, it appears that we've mostly paid our fees up front and have minimal liabilities on our transfer dealings. Thus, we likely don't owe much to Swans or anyone else, so we shouldn't have cash flow issues in the future. That's a very good thing. I personally haven't crunched through the statements to determine how much cash we'd have for transfer dealings this year, but obviously, we all know that our salary bill is super high and needs to come down.

Can you explain to me how you came to that conclusion mate, i.e. the calculations your making, genuinely curious and open minded of where you are coming from and how you got there!!

Christ ....it's like pulling teeth.

I think the point I was making is a top side just do not go out and bring in a regular starting Championship player at his respective club and start him instantly and he brings instant impact.

If there was a player who could instantly make an impact on a top PL team from a championship club, they wouldnt be in the championship mate.

Nope please read that carefully. I said I can’t recall a Championship player who was bought in as a first teamer by a top side (7th or above) in recent years who become an instant success in the next season. I was saying this all along. Precisely speaking.

Even Ali who was bought from League 1 was a prospect back then.

Maddison and Brooks have been playing in the Premier League for an entire season, why are you calling them Championship players?

Mate who is a Bolton ST holder spoke to me after they had played Norwich last year. He told me Morrison was the best player in the championship, better than Grealish based on what he saw. People were laughing at Leicester paying 20m for him, but I guess their the ones that are laughing now.

Can you explain to me how you came to that conclusion mate, i.e. the calculations your making, genuinely curious and open minded of where you are coming from and how you got there!!
Cash flow statement first. You can see approximate 50M coming in, 150M coming out. Now, with agent fees on top of transfers, it's hard to know exactly. But according to transfermarket, we had transfers out of 127M, in of 203.2M. That's actually less than $100M.

I can see only 45M of long term - more than a year - of liabilities on the books, too, with intangible assets - i.e., player registrations, agent fees - at least according to the footnotes of like 250M. Unfortunately, the books don't tell me if that $45M is even deferred transfer liabilities at all, it could be many things. Again, I'm definitely out of commercial accounting practice and sports are pretty specific - and I DEFINITELY haven't done accounting work in sports in like 15 years and never overseas. But even if it WAS deferred transfer fees, 45M over the remainder of contracts that probably have an average of 2-3 years left on contracts...it's not that much if you think about it.

Keep in mind, that's a VERY quick analysis, and I'm sure I'm missing something. We also made money on player trading this past year, so if I really crunched the P/L and tried to roll over the liabilities, I'm sure I could gain a lot more confidence. But I honestly don't know what "trade debtors" is specifically. It might not be player fees at all. It could be anything, although it's not the credit facility, which looks like it has 43M within 75M of the short-term debt.

On the few occasions I’ve seen them play, Max Aarons the full back for Norwich would have been a good signing for us. It looks like he’ll be playing in the premier league anyway next season, so it will be interesting to see how he adapts.

Status
Not open for further replies.