Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we signed someone like Neres or Lozano, how would we line up? Still haven't got an out and out goal scorer, right wing is Riccos, left is Bernards. Cannot drop siggy (maybe we can) and DCL is in the form of his life (goals aside).

Would it be Bernard who dropped to the bench?

hope Bernard isn't dropped, best player last few weeks. Next season will be immense

If we signed someone like Neres or Lozano, how would we line up? Still haven't got an out and out goal scorer, right wing is Riccos, left is Bernards. Cannot drop siggy (maybe we can) and DCL is in the form of his life (goals aside).

Need more than one player for each position in a season. Right now none of the front three could be dropped but eventually you might see Calvert-Lewin get an injury or Richarlison go off the boil etc. Then Neres would come in and if he grabbed the position it would be down to the player missing out to wait for his chance to get back in.

Right now though Bernard is the most safe of the front three for me.

Hold up. Transfer fees sit on the books as intangible assets and are amortized over the life of the contract. Assuming straight line and a 45M fee, we are already down to 27M. Now even if we sell now for less than 27M, we recognize a book loss, but what does that have to do with Swans? Do we owe Swans some future fee? Incidentally, if the club knows its going to have a book loss on a player, they'd write the value down as an impairment.

So I'm not sure how there is a liability owed to anyone from a player transfer. But admittedly I am not an expert on IFRS as it relates to pro football teams.

Transfer fees (in 99% of cases) are paid over the length of contract not on an annual basis. For example if we pay 25 mill for Morgan and he is half way through his contract,we still owe Utd 12.5 mill in his transfer fee. So his book price is 12.5 mill, his value as an asset to Everton If we sell him to West Ham for 6,25 mill in the summer we still owe united 6.25 mill roughly. If we sell him for 15 mill we make a 2.5mill profit. This is the case with all of our players.

So in Gylfis case, we would have the annual liability to Swansea until the end of his contract that is dropping every year he is here. pretty much the same goes for the majority of players who we have signed recently, its why its so hard to shift them. We send them on loan for a year and their book price drops by another installment of their transfer fee and it might be easier to sell them in the next window. exceptions are the likes of Jamsey, Baines, Coleman and other lads who have been long enough to see their innital liability end. Young players that have come through the academy as well as they carry no book price and if sold are profit. Its always handy to have both of the afore mentioned categories at the club as it diverts funds to either new transfer fees or wages. Essentially we didnt hand Swansea 45mill, we are paying it off annually and over the course of his contract, we are two years into that, so we still owe Swansea money on his fee. If we sell him to make a profit we have to sell him for more of his liability to us, likely if sold him for 30 million we would make an 8-10 mill profit, not 30 million. Not including his wages.

As goat pointed out rightly, wages can sometimes make selling at a loss better in the long term, i think its better to be done very early in the contract myself. But at times if someone is on a big wage the wage liability may be more then crystallized loss, Klassen is an example of that, where we took a big crystallized loss on his fee to save the wage over his contract. Its not ideal and cant be done in multiple cases.

It works the other way as well and we actually have big lines of credit on our future transfer fees, namely on Rom and Stones fees expected from Utd and City. It went a long way to funding last summer in my opinion.

The above is why when lads write lists of if we sell so and so for such million and add it all together we will have 100 million to spend is worthless really. The worse thing you do is annual net and gross spend.

Last edited:

I agree it’s a strange one due to Bernard being an absolute gem of a player. Maybe if we are looking to get rid of Lookman and Onyekuru then it would be for depth in Bernard’s position.

We couldn’t drop siggy unless he is having a bad game then we can switch Bernard to number 10 role and put either on the left wing

i would ignore a right winger all together, its the central position of the front four that badly needs attention. Gylfi and Richarilison are on course for 15 goals each this season, with better option at 9, i think we come on leaps and bounds with goal returns. I think we also see a better output from Bernard and Walcott and whoever with a better option in the center.

Transfer fees (in 99% of cases) are paid over the length of contract not on an annual basis. For example if we pay 25 mill for Morgan and he is half way through his contract,we still owe Utd 12.5 mill in his transfer fee. So his book price is 12.5 mill, his value as an asset to Everton If we sell him to West Ham for 6,25 mill in the summer we still owe united 6.25 mill roughly. If we sell him for 15 mill we make a 2.5mill profit. This is the case with all of our players.

So in Gylfis case, we would have the annual liability to Swansea until the end of his contract that is dropping every year he is here. pretty much the same goes for the majority of players who we have signed recently, its why its so hard to shift them. We send them on loan for a year and their book price drops by another installment of their transfer fee and it might be easier to sell them in the next window. exceptions are the likes of Jamsey, Baines, Coleman and other lads who have been long enough to see their innital liability end. Young players that have come through the academy as well as they carry no book price and if sold are profit. Its always handy to have both of the afore mentioned categories at the club as it diverts funds to either new transfer fees or wages. Essentially we didnt hand Swansea 45mill, we are paying it off annually and over the course of his contract, we are two years into that, so we still owe Swansea money on his fee. If we sell him to make a profit we have to sell him for more of his liability to us, likely if sold him for 30 million we would make an 8-10 mill profit, not 30 million. Not including his wages.

As goat pointed out rightly, wages can sometimes make selling at a loss better in the long term, i think its better to be done very early in the contract myself. But at times if someone is on a big wage the wage liability may be more then crystallized loss, Klassen is an example of that, where we took a big crystallized loss on his fee to save the wage over his contract. Its not ideal and cant be done in multiple cases.

It works the other way as well and we actually have big lines of credit on our future transfer fees, namely on Rom and Stones fees expected from Utd and City. It went a long way to funding last summer in my opinion.

The above is why when lads write lists of if we sell so and so for such million and add it all together we will have 100 million to spend is worthless really. The worse thing you do is annual net and gross spend.
Think that's a slight misunderstanding of how it works.

The transfer fees aren't usually literally paid over the course of the contract, that's just how it's written in to the accounts. So @CRIMHEAD is correct in pointing out that we don't necessarily actually owe any money to Swansea. It's quite an important distinction to make, the difference between the balance sheets showing a loss and us not being able to meet our liabilities is massive.

Think that's a slight misunderstanding of how it works.

The transfer fees aren't usually literally paid over the course of the contract, that's just how it's written in to the accounts. So @CRIMHEAD is correct in pointing out that we don't necessarily actually owe any money to Swansea. It's quite an important distinction to make, the difference between the balance sheets showing a loss and us not being able to meet our liabilities is massive.

I stick by what i wrote really a chara. i would accept not litreally, most deals have individual structures built into them, its often why negotiations take so long.But in a general sense they are paid over the length of the contract. I maybe am explaining it a bit simply admittedly.

i would be pretty certain we didnt pay 45 mill up front for Gylfi and still hold a liability of=n the majority of our recent transfer activity. His specifically.

Whats everyones view on Neres?

Personally, I think he is a fantastic prospect in terms of all the intangibles you'd hope for in a wide forward - save one. There are some rumours that he's focused on a big payday more than sporting ambitions to build something at any club in particular. The risk there is getting a mercenary who will be biding his time until the next big move comes but in today's football perhaps everyone will have to accept this eventuality with young talents

Status
Not open for further replies.