Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my calculations a chara, just commenting on the principle.

If we will sell him for less of the liability to Swansea we make a loss on the value of the player.

It’s not happening anyway.
We have a liability to Swans? Are you sure?

They do the same in aus , had no idea what the manager was saying when he tells us the line up. Outside back I think is full backs and inside half are CB’S I believe he also has a weird name for wingers and wide midfielders.
My school coach (who mind you never played a second of football/soccer in his life) would say keeper, outside backs, center backs, defending center mid, outside mids, attacking center mid, outside forwards, and striker.

He’d also say kick instead of pass, shoot, or cross and it drove me insane on more than one level.

Sessegnon linked to Spurs and juventus :eek: £40mil

Reece James linked to United £15mil

Rodri linked to City £60mil release clause

Wonder if we have any interest :)

Well I think we need to be looking at the mid 20s for it to break even territory, might make more sense in a year.

Not sure we are that hard up for money, we have way more low hanging fruit then Gylfi. I’d be a big fan of his. I often look at him and we haven’t had a player like him in a long time and I’m not sure fans know what to do with him, maybe Beardsley the closest.

Essentially he’s a hybrid no 10, or an 8 and a half. Phenomenal return with 13 goals when you look around the league, Cahill took up a similar role and even Arteta at times I think at his very best both struggled with that return. There will always be a market for someone with his consistent end product and delivery, even if it’s for a year or two.

He’s pulling his weight in a big way in my eyes. It’s a head scratcher from me how he divides opinion.

Excellent post - I cannot understand the level of dislike towards a player who is our teams brain.

Understand the price tag and he does have poor games, but he is one of our best players and will continue to be for the next couple of years.

We have a liability to Swans? Are you sure?

We wont have paid them the 45m in 1 chunk, I think most Premier League deals are 3 payments, 1 when the deal is done and 2 yearly payments, but every deal is different, some clubs insist on the cash upfront, some want it over 2 years.

I suspect we probably still owe Swansea some cash.

Yep, it’s basically as I’m explaining even in crayon, the season on season amortization, equals the book price of the player and liability to the club.

I was explaining it in very simple terms, but you are right in the sense there can come a tipping point with wages as above over the length of the contract that might make it better sense in the long term to sell particularly if a player will decrease in value or won’t be involved. Klassen is another example.

If we sold Gylfi for 14 mill though, we save his wages but still on the hook to Swansea for the three years remaing on contract. We save his wage of course. But we crystalize a loss on the liability to Swansea (haven’t worked out what that is, but over 50% of his fee). So ball park 20 odd million. We crystalise a loss on the fee of 6 mill odd we have to find to pay Swansea. But we save wages on the last three years of contract.

Making a loss on the fee, loosening our top goal scoreer with no profit on the deal, but saving three years of wages makes little sense. Essentially it’s cutting your top goal scorer loose, paying 6 mill odd for the privilege all so you could save a wage for three years and not have the player.
Hold up. Transfer fees sit on the books as intangible assets and are amortized over the life of the contract. Assuming straight line and a 45M fee, we are already down to 27M. Now even if we sell now for less than 27M, we recognize a book loss, but what does that have to do with Swans? Do we owe Swans some future fee? Incidentally, if the club knows its going to have a book loss on a player, they'd write the value down as an impairment.

So I'm not sure how there is a liability owed to anyone from a player transfer. But admittedly I am not an expert on IFRS as it relates to pro football teams.

We wont have paid them the 45m in 1 chunk, I think most Premier League deals are 3 payments, 1 when the deal is done and 2 yearly payments, but every deal is different, some clubs insist on the cash upfront, some want it over 2 years.

I suspect we probably still owe Swansea some cash.
Maybe. But that would be the only liability we'd have.

If we sell Gana this summer we definitely need a player like this kid. 19 y/o and wants to do everything out there. Silky smooth dribbling with insane passing range.
Buy for £10m and sell for £25m

Edit: ... on second thought buy Traore and keep Gana too

My school coach (who mind you never played a second of football/soccer in his life) would say keeper, outside backs, center backs, defending center mid, outside mids, attacking center mid, outside forwards, and striker.

He’d also say kick instead of pass, shoot, or cross and it drove me insane on more than one level.
We say outside and center backs in the US. I find it hilarious that it's okay to say center backs or center halfs, you don't HAVE to specify right center half or left center half, but for some strange reasons you cannot refer to the right and left backs collectively as outside backs. We can also have wingers, inside forwards, but we don't have to only call them right or left wingers. Oh no. ONLY for right and left backs. So I will continue to use the term outside backs. No coach or instructor has ever had an issue with it, and that includes a ton of English guys here in the states.

If we sell Gana this summer we definitely need a player like this kid. 19 y/o and wants to do everything out there. Silky smooth dribbling with insane passing range.
Buy for £10m and sell for £25m

Edit: ... on second thought buy Traore and keep Gana too

We need more than one DM for certain.

We say outside and center backs in the US. I find it hilarious that it's okay to say center backs or center halfs, you don't HAVE to specify right center half or left center half, but for some strange reasons you cannot refer to the right and left backs collectively as outside backs. We can also have wingers, inside forwards, but we don't have to only call them right or left wingers. Oh no. ONLY for right and left backs. So I will continue to use the term outside backs. No coach or instructor has ever had an issue with it, and that includes a ton of English guys here in the states.

You dont have to say right or left back, as I said, full backs or wing backs is fine.

Most CBs can play both sides, sure they have a preferred side, but they can interchange.

Not many fullbacks can play on both sides, so they are generally named as right or left.

Outside backs is alien to most English footy fans, I mean ive never heard it in my life and it honestly doesnt make sense to me.

I suppose it goes back to the 4-4-2 days, no inverted wingers, no inside forwards, no wing forwards, just ya standard 4-4-2.

Im sure if you were a big baseball fan and I started calling the pitcher "The Ball tosser", you might take offence at me butchering your sport!

I agree. I will continue to use roster just to spite @Nymzee @Brisan123 and frank

Status
Not open for further replies.