New Everton Stadium Discussion

they wont do

the RS fans protested about 77 quid tickets, and won. thing is half of anfield isn't even from Liverpool , whereas most of goodison is
Yeah, see im ok, ive not got kids...etc but most of my mates down there years have dropped out at or time or another because they cant afford it, kids, crap hours in work...etc cost of living...etc a new ground wont mean they can afford it again and it wont attract tourists because we havent won anything for years or play in the CL regular. Lets face it, even City havent managed to bring them in, with that side, we have no chance

Yeah, see im ok, ive not got kids...etc but most of my mates down there years have dropped out at or time or another because they cant afford it, kids, crap hours in work...etc cost of living...etc a new ground wont mean they can afford it again and it wont attract tourists because we havent won anything for years or play in the CL regular. Lets face it, even City havent managed to bring them in, with that side, we have no chance

id say everton fans are a lot more passionate than city.

we took 1500 on a pres season tour to Dresden, where as city struggle to take that in the champions league away games !

This is the problem the club have, prices rises wont work because we dont get tourist fans, and even a new ground i dont think is going to attract them. Just because we wont have pillars dosent mean Everton fans will suddenly have an extra tenner to spend

A lot might have a drink and some grub away from Goodison at the moment. If the new place is welcoming enough, has the space in the concourse to feel you aren't a sardine in a can and is competitively priced, then it isn't unreasonable to think the club will gain more money even from fans with less means.

A lot might have a drink and some grub away from Goodison at the moment. If the new place is welcoming enough, has the space in the concourse to feel you aren't a sardine in a can and is competitively priced, then it isn't unreasonable to think the club will gain more money even from fans with less means.
Yeah this is what I think they need to do, all that cash spent for a few miles around Goodison, they need to make it there own.
I read the Spurs ground opens 3 hours before Kick Off, have some facilities Bramley Moore and ill get down early for a cucumber sandwich and a oat milk latte

Yeah this is what I think they need to do, all that cash spent for a few miles around Goodison, they need to make it there own.
I read the Spurs ground opens 3 hours before Kick Off, have some facilities Bramley Moore and ill get down early for a cucumber sandwich and a oat milk latte
2 hours before and 2 hours after ...

everybody just assumes 'corporate' facilties just means executive boxes, it doesn't, it means that franchises can establish themselves within the stadium... pubs and resteraunts ,etc etc all having floor space within the venue, which inturn brings huge rents and profits for the club..

theres not many town centres that can guarantee 60 odd thousand people will turn up at there premises every other week or so is there ??

The bars at Brighton were open long after the game too.
Getting away from that ground is murder, so it's easy money.

Sunderland: 22,500 - 49,000
Increase: 26,500

Tottenham: 36,284 - 62,062
Increase: 25,778

West Ham: 35,016 - 60,000
Increase: 24,984

Arsenal: 38,419 - 60,260
Increase: 21,841

Manchester City: 35,150 - 55,017*
Increase: 19,867*

Everton: 39,572 - 52,000*
Increase: 12,428*

I think a lot of people will be forgetting that by the time our stadium is built, safe standing will be introduced because quite simply MONEY talks.

Spurs will push for standing and so will the rest of the Premier League soon enough.

I think a lot of people will be forgetting that by the time our stadium is built, safe standing will be introduced because quite simply MONEY talks.

Spurs will push for standing and so will the rest of the Premier League soon enough.

the ratio is still one seat to one standing … it can not boost capacity

2 hours before and 2 hours after ...

everybody just assumes 'corporate' facilties just means executive boxes, it doesn't, it means that franchises can establish themselves within the stadium... pubs and resteraunts ,etc etc all having floor space within the venue, which inturn brings huge rents and profits for the club..

theres not many town centres that can guarantee 60 odd thousand people will turn up at there premises every other week or so is there ??
Actually premium areas in Spurs are 3 hours before 3 hours after.

This has been aired numerous times but the truth is it's a poor example that bears little resemblance to us. If utd suddenly decided to play in a new 44k stadium and charge the moon to do so they could as they already are top dogs. Their commercial income will not decrease because of it and the media will still love them. But why would they when there is more than enough people that want to see them play.

Juve on the other hand had a large stadium and it was always half empty so they decided to build for the average gates they were getting. But like above, they are still top dogs and it made sense to build for what the demand actually was.

Then we come to us, we are fighting to differentiate ourselves from the rest of the pack to make the media sit up and take notice. Goodison used to be the match of any of our peers and people used to take notice of Everton. Spurs have paid all that money to put Arsenal in the shade to try and elevate itself into that group. All those headlines and column inches for a club that we were consistently beating not that long ago. You can sense the pride that they have for their new stadium and that includes the capacity. Football has always been a game of figures and top trumps. Newcastle for a while were seen as that club once a upon a time as they had one of the biggest stadiums in the country. Now St. James Park at 52k is just another that has been eclipsed by 6 other clubs.

By setting our stall out at 52k our ambition stretches to mid-90's level Newcastle, that can't be right. It is true that Matchday income is not the be all and end all it used to be but that could change back again just as quickly. By building the smallest scale stadium possible on a restricted site could easily see us stuck with this capacity for the rest of our lives. A rebuild, even a partial one once the other buildings have gone up around it will be a logistical and planning nightmare. Sure we may have safe standing eventually and that will boost the figure by x thousand but all our competitors will do the same, and if they have larger stadia to start with then likely the disparity will further grow when it happens.

In a nutshell a new stadium is statement of intent by the owners, how much ambition does the club have and how much belief they have of successfully carrying out their plans. 8 or so thousand extra GA seats when there are 10k on the season ticket waiting list (nevermind the thousands that would go to single games if Goodison had a) the capacity and b) had a view of the actual pitch) doesn't scream of confidence. More like a sure thing. That's not to say I won't be happy to move to BM dock when we do, because I will, however I will see it as a missed opportunity to make a real statement and get amongst the clubs we are fighting against. 58-60k would have been enough to say mission accomplished. Just got to hope that capacity will grow when the plans are released and the club are using a bit of reverse psychology by starting at 52k and then any increase will be deemed as a positive and not a comedown from the 62k we all hoped for from the start.
If we announced this afternoon that we had been given permission to erect a temporary stand and all 10,000 people waiting for a ST could have one next year, how many do you think would take it up? Genuinely, I reckon about 2,000 tops. Loads of people put their name down on the off chance that they will want it/be able to afford it at some point in the future, but they have no intention of actually getting one in the current climate. I've got mates who are on the waiting list who can't even be bothered taking a free ticket when it's offered to them half the time, there's not a chance they'd cough up £600 and give up 20 days a year to get a season ticket.

The general direction of this seems to be concerning.

There was talk of an iconic stadium on a landmark location, and it would have been fair to assume capacity would come in at or about the same levels as recent other builds by our competitors.

The club have dumbed down expectations on both fronts. In a sense, I don't mind if it avoids big disappointment later but you wonder what the next consultation will bring.

If the design offered enough to be a genuine positive talking point for us, coupled with a waterfront location, I could live with 52k if it was on the basis that capacity had to be restricted to accomodate the design.

If it's the case that they have to rein things in because money talks, or doesn't talk as the case may be, then we can do nothing about it.

But in the context of an inflationary market and general uncertainty, if this proceeds at all, it seems very much a Plan B version of what we might have had, with costs threatening to increase at the same time.

Reminds me of Jim Bowen's line looking at Spurs stadium currently "Let's take a look at what you could have won".

If we announced this afternoon that we had been given permission to erect a temporary stand and all 10,000 people waiting for a ST could have one next year, how many do you think would take it up? Genuinely, I reckon about 2,000 tops. Loads of people put their name down on the off chance that they will want it/be able to afford it at some point in the future, but they have no intention of actually getting one in the current climate. I've got mates who are on the waiting list who can't even be bothered taking a free ticket when it's offered to them half the time, there's not a chance they'd cough up £600 and give up 20 days a year to get a season ticket.

It is difficult to say, maybe you are right, maybe not seeing most are on this list to say I was there during the final game at Goodison and or guarantee first dibs at BM. But if we stick to your exact words for a minute, just erecting a temporary stand wouldn't solve the problems associated with Goodison. You still have awful parking facilities, the cramped seats and the very crowded areas compared to a modern stadium. Now you can pay for a season ticket on the tick it isn't that unmanageable for most.

As an overseas fan, I find it incredibly frustrating trying to get tickets. A larger stadium (60k) will surely help and I am certain there are many others with the same viewpoint.

It is difficult to say, maybe you are right, maybe not seeing most are on this list to say I was there during the final game at Goodison and or guarantee first dibs at BM. But if we stick to your exact words for a minute, just erecting a temporary stand wouldn't solve the problems associated with Goodison. You still have awful parking facilities, the cramped seats and the very crowded areas compared to a modern stadium. Now you can pay for a season ticket on the tick it isn't that unmanageable for most.
I'm not saying it's unmanageable though, i'm saying people won't do it. Not all people obviously, but many of those on the waiting list would not make Everton enough of a priority to be bothered about paying £600 a year to watch. They sign up with good intentions, but when it comes to it they wouldn't actually take up the offer. In our first year at BMD we could probably get 70,000 regularly, but my honest opinion is that we don't have the sort of fanbase - either in terms of numbers or disposable income - to regularly achieve 60,000 after that initial excitement dies down. That may change if we're successful, and i'm not saying the whole idea of a higher capacity is flawed, just that using the waiting list as evidence is.