• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what's your definition of a "proven manager"?

I suppose the defintion of a proven manager is someone who has managed as a job.

But at the moment someone who has shown in different circumstances to provide quality (relative to the situation). Regardless of him being a beaut, Benitez is a good example of that (im not saying we should hire Benitez)

We aren't going to attract top quality so need to find someone who has somewhat of a track record. Rather than a relegation and a horrendous dip in form that wasn't resolved.

People in here absolutely desperate for his blood money to build our stadium too

It's disgusting to be honest

It's how it is in this day and age mate. If we want to be lovely little give us a pat on the head Everton doing it the 'right way' then we should have just stayed with boys pen Bill. To tell you the truth, I'm sick and tired of being also - rans, so if we want the best, and if it takes dodgy money to progress, then so be it, my conscious is clear.

When you have a team like Leicester sacking managers for being 12th in the table, and us happy to be around the same position it says it all. Aside from the year they won it they would be happy with 12th. No doubt we will stuff Cardiff and things will be forgotten for a while.

I wonder if he is trying to muddle along till the summer because Brands has told him about various transfer plans which mean he will get more of his own type of players. However it should'nt mean that he can't try and improve on what we are doing at the moment, he just sounds like it's his way or no way despite how bad results are.

I said it the other day mate, a good manager should be able to change things tactically to suit the players he has available, Silva just looks devoid of idea's, and that's a bad sign in a manager.

I said it the other day mate, a good manager should be able to change things tactically to suit the players he has available, Silva just looks devoid of idea's, and that's a bad sign in a manager.
The thing that gets me is that he is not even having to do much managing, he just needs to pick a team of 11 players each week and prepare them for whatever game is coming up. Brands is doing all of the sorting out and signing players and all that stuff.

Burnley and CP were flirting with relegation a couple of weeks ago and now both on same games and only 3 points behind us, can you smell the coming our way unless this fella can wake up and get the players playing "football".

When you have a team like Leicester sacking managers for being 12th in the table, and us happy to be around the same position it says it all. Aside from the year they won it they would be happy with 12th. No doubt we will stuff Cardiff and things will be forgotten for a while.
Don't be so silly. We're clearly not happy - Moshiri said himself during the AGM meeting that we need to be doing better. Difference is, Puel has had 16 months or so and Silva around half of that.

Genuinely believe some of our fanbase will be distraught if Silva manages to turn his fortunes around.

I don't think they sacked him for being twelfth. I think it was because the team was playing un-entertaining dross a la BFS, AND losing home games heavily to relegation teams. This is also his second season so if we find ourselves in this spot a year from now then I am all for regime change. I have to say that having taken my three fledgling blues to the Leicester game on New years Day I can vouch for them not only losing their interest in Everton but also losing interest in football all together. That game was the antithesis of entertaining sport. We were crap but Leicester were equally crap, Vardy individual goal aside. I think they decided things were not going to get any better... we , I believe still have a glimmer of hope that Silva can turn things around.

Have you look at thier shortlist? Roberto Martinez is one of the leading candidate! Do you really envy them at this point?

I don't think they sacked him for being twelfth. I think it was because the team was playing un-entertaining dross a la BFS, AND losing home games heavily to relegation teams. This is also his second season so if we find ourselves in this spot a year from now then I am all for regime change. I have to say that having taken my three fledgling blues to the Leicester game on New years Day I can vouch for them not only losing their interest in Everton but also losing interest in football all together. That game was the antithesis of entertaining sport. We were crap but Leicester were equally crap, Vardy individual goal aside. I think they decided things were not going to get any better... we , I believe still have a glimmer of hope that Silva can turn things around.

Typical performances with both manager trying to play possession football without the players to make it work. We were identical mirror of each other and they’ve decided to act first.

I was also wondering about this

We can definitely agree that tactical flexibility is an important characteristic of a manager, but if he's new, and he's trying to establish a core playing style, and approach, isn't it a good idea to try and stick to it until the players actually are able to execute it?
So far, there have been some positive stories from the official site about how they're buying into the tactics and approach, in support of Marco Silva, so maybe they're actually trying their best, it's not clicking, and he's trying to just wait for it to work. However, even from one core playing style, there should be an ability to do basics, like going ultra defensive / counter attacking to protect a lead, or trying to 'manage a game' by just sticking to shape, structure and simple passing. Those two tactics should be in the repertoire of any team.

I don't know if he's devoid of ideas, but he does already seem tired and worn out, which is not a good sign in a relatively new manager.

On the other hand, I think less importance is to coaching staff on a team, and I felt this in Martinez's 2nd and 3rd seasons, that if he had more sophisticated coaching staff, who had defensive, organisational and more fitness skills, we may have done better with his core philosophy of attacking possession play. I have often criticised managers and head coaches for blindly taking along their coaches to every job they get, just for the sake of loyalty, even if they're not appropriate. I would have, for instance, tried to keep hold of Chris Woods all those years ago, and maybe tried to get back or keep people like Steve Round, who was apparently good. Maybe Marco Silva's coaching team are not fit for purpose, and he and Brands have to actually replace some of them? It comes back to the question of Big Dunc - I'd love to know what he actually does, and is he really just a passionate cheerleader, or an excellent mentor , or a great technical coach? Before sacking the manager, we should try and hold the coaching staff responsible.

I was also wondering about this

We can definitely agree that tactical flexibility is an important characteristic of a manager, but if he's new, and he's trying to establish a core playing style, and approach, isn't it a good idea to try and stick to it until the players actually are able to execute it?
So far, there have been some positive stories from the official site about how they're buying into the tactics and approach, in support of Marco Silva, so maybe they're actually trying their best, it's not clicking, and he's trying to just wait for it to work. However, even from one core playing style, there should be an ability to do basics, like going ultra defensive / counter attacking to protect a lead, or trying to 'manage a game' by just sticking to shape, structure and simple passing. Those two tactics should be in the repertoire of any team.

I don't know if he's devoid of ideas, but he does already seem tired and worn out, which is not a good sign in a relatively new manager.

On the other hand, I think less importance is to coaching staff on a team, and I felt this in Martinez's 2nd and 3rd seasons, that if he had more sophisticated coaching staff, who had defensive, organisational and more fitness skills, we may have done better with his core philosophy of attacking possession play. I have often criticised managers and head coaches for blindly taking along their coaches to every job they get, just for the sake of loyalty, even if they're not appropriate. I would have, for instance, tried to keep hold of Chris Woods all those years ago, and maybe tried to get back or keep people like Steve Round, who was apparently good. Maybe Marco Silva's coaching team are not fit for purpose, and he and Brands have to actually replace some of them? It comes back to the question of Big Dunc - I'd love to know what he actually does, and is he really just a passionate cheerleader, or an excellent mentor , or a great technical coach? Before sacking the manager, we should try and hold the coaching staff responsible.

I can see what you're saying mate, IMO though I don't see it working with this squad of players no matter how long Silva persists, we just look all over the gaff, you can actually see players looking at each other during games puzzled. Now obviously it's down to Silva not having the right type of players to suit how he wants us to play, that's why I think he needs to try and find another way.

At the end of the day Martinez being stubborn by sticking to a way of playing that was obviously not working was a factor in his downfall, so Silva needs to show he can be flexible tactically.

Status
Not open for further replies.