The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, there was only not money available in January. They'll be money in the summer, relax.

Second of all, if I hear that "SAM GOT US 8TH" one more time I'm going to vomit. He was 2 points out of 9th when he started.

Third of all and MOST IMPORTANTLY, that team was absolutely CRAP last year. Goal differential of -14.

OFFENSE = 19th in shots. 19th in dribbles per game. 18th in attempts on goal. 18th in chances created. 18th in chances created in open play.
DEFENSE = 20th in goals in open play against. 15th in shots conceded. 20th in fouls committed.

That's the team that Silva inhereted. Maybe if some of you stopped thinking we were a deserving 8th place team and realized we were lucky to not be relegated, maybe you'd cut Silva a bit of slack.
To be fair mate, Sam did get us to 8th ;)

It means Southampton has to get 10 points more then us for the rest of the season.

35 will keep a team up as it has done the last 2 seasons.

Southampton are 9th in the form table over 6 games whilst we sit 15th, I wouldnt be so complacent to say that cant happen to us because weve all seen teams do just that..... I never thought I`d see the day our home form would be that bad with yet 4 of the top 6 to play there!

why?
You think we'd be overrun in midfield?

I think Koeman and Silva both failed because they didn't find a defensive midfielder with the ability to distribute the ball,
Schneiderlin was very good at this in his first season.
The fact that he's not now is down to management.
I think, if Silva can get him or McCarthy to play that position well, he has a chance.
Obviously, if either are crap, we keep getting battered.

Why on earth do they persist with that formation then???????????????.

Surely you go with a formation and tactics that best suit the squad you have at your disposal, or am i just being naive?

Why on earth do they persist with that formation then???????????????.

Surely you go with a formation and tactics that best suit the squad you have at your disposal, or am i just being naive?
I think you're dead right, one got sacked and the other is about to.
That said, I think Barry played much deeper than any midfielder we've tried in that position since.
The rest of Martinez's recruitment was what let him down at the back, same with Koeman.
Silva has the players but cant seem to make them play.
Hopefully the next cycle will balance recruitment and coaching!

Southampton are 9th in the form table over 6 games whilst we sit 15th, I wouldnt be so complacent to say that cant happen to us because weve all seen teams do just that..... I never thought I`d see the day our home form would be that bad with yet 4 of the top 6 to play there!

View attachment 54244

Been grim being a season ticket holder this year. And last year. And the year before that.

View attachment 54244
The position in the form table is irrelevant in that context though. The point being made was that they would need to get 10 points more than us from 12 games. As evidence that they could do that you've posted a table which shows them getting 5 points more than us from their last 12 games. So basically just providing evidence to the contrary of what you're suggesting.

The position in the form table is irrelevant in that context though. The point being made was that they would need to get 10 points more than us from 12 games. As evidence that they could do that you've posted a table which shows them getting 5 points more than us from their last 12 games. So basically just providing evidence to the contrary of what you're suggesting.

To the contrary? They`ve won 4 drawn 5 and lost just 4 from the 13 games that Hassenhuttl has been in charge for, what is our form in the same period?

To the contrary? They`ve won 4 drawn 5 and lost just 4 from the 13 games that Hassenhuttl has been in charge for, what is our form in the same period?
Yes to the contrary. It's not a difficult concept. The point was that Southampton need to better our tally by 10 points. They have 12 games in which to do that. You've just posted a table that shows from their last 12 games they have been getting more points than us, but only by 5. So half the difference they would need to make up. I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, but it's not likely, and your own table shows why.

In fact he has oversaw 11 premier league games picking up 15 points including beating us. In the same period we have collected 9 points (Wins against Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Burnley), so that is a gain of 6.

Our fixtures across our next period means the chances of them catching us are high.......

In fact he has oversaw 11 premier league games picking up 15 points including beating us. In the same period we have collected 9 points (Wins against Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Burnley), so that is a gain of 6.

Our fixtures across our next period means the chances of them catching us are high.......
As above, that in no way suggests it's likely they'll catch us. Their forms levelled out too, they've only taken 2 points from their last 3 games, and their run in is no easier than ours.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.