The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if Marco Silva has a case to be backed for next season? There are fundamental issues in the team which would need to be worked upon over the summer such as set pieces but generally speaking, here is the case FOR Marco Silva. (Does not reflect my own personal views)

Loan players

everton have 7 first team players out on loan this season, probably more if some have slipped my mind. It's fair to say most of them wouldn't improve us if they were available and only really vlasic and onykerwu having the case to be part of the team. But generally speaking, these players on loan are crippling the wage bill so it restricts what the club could have done in the market, making January signings impossible. Once all have been shipped out then we could see a lot more business being done. That and the side point of so many 'first team's players out the club is a massive chunk of a squad.

Underperforming/ wrong fit players

There are many players in the squad that simply don't fit or just aren't good enough that are classed as part of the first team squad. We can list them as an opinion but it's obvious how many players just aren't good enough in there or simply don't perform. By my count I can list at least 9 , which is again a massive chunk of the squad that either underperform or aren't options to use. So potentially just over a third of the available squad won't play or won't perform if played. That is a massive handicap for a manager who needs to change things

Senior players underperforming

following on from the above, how many senior players just aren't there for the team? Baines, jagielka , Coleman , Schneiderlin, Walcott alone are all massively underperforming or simply not good enough. 3 of those are captains when available which considering the lack of leadership on the pitch, it's another handicap to not have these players to rely on when things aren't going well. It leaves us without a natural captain on the pitch when those 3 are earmarked for the role.

lack of striker

This was a problem last season but recently it's really shown itself . We have no striker at the club to perform the role effectively enough. Lewen and tosun aren't good enough it's fair to say and that is where it's a hindrance for any manager . Against Watford both of them missed from less than 10 yards out, one would have counted but the point being if you have strikers who miss from that range when you really need a goal then what can a manager really do to win games? Most club's have at least one player who they can rely on in the box , we haven't had one for 2 seasons now.

Coaching staff

it's fair to say again we have never had a complete overhaul of our coaching staff since Moyes left. The manager brings his trusted allies in but on the training pitch and throughout the club the coaches have stayed the same. Perhaps this needs to be looked at and changed to see overall improvements throughout the team?
The striker and the coaching staff are my biggest issues, both firmly on the toes of Marcel Brands, ok maybe to get a striker in with the quality that's needed may take some time but he has done nothing at all about the obviously shambolic coaching and fitness staff.

Silva selected them both, so if they weren’t up to it it’s a further stain on Silva, not them.
Both had to be selected because of injuries.

They are still professional footballers regardless of what stage of their career they are in. When they have come in they have both made stupid errors which have cost us. Silva can't control a ball for Jagielka or make Baines not shove someone in the back.

What if Marco Silva has a case to be backed for next season? There are fundamental issues in the team which would need to be worked upon over the summer such as set pieces but generally speaking, here is the case FOR Marco Silva. (Does not reflect my own personal views)

Loan players

everton have 7 first team players out on loan this season, probably more if some have slipped my mind. It's fair to say most of them wouldn't improve us if they were available and only really vlasic and onykerwu having the case to be part of the team. But generally speaking, these players on loan are crippling the wage bill so it restricts what the club could have done in the market, making January signings impossible. Once all have been shipped out then we could see a lot more business being done. That and the side point of so many 'first team's players out the club is a massive chunk of a squad.

There are many players in the squad that simply don't fit or just aren't good enough that are classed as part of the first team squad. We can list them as an opinion but it's obvious how many players just aren't good enough in there or simply don't perform. By my count I can list at least 9 , which is again a massive chunk of the squad that either underperform or aren't options to use. So potentially just over a third of the available squad won't play or won't perform if played. That is a massive handicap for a manager who needs to change things

following on from the above, how many senior players just aren't there for the team? Baines, jagielka , Coleman , Schneiderlin, Walcott alone are all massively underperforming or simply not good enough. 3 of those are captains when available which considering the lack of leadership on the pitch, it's another handicap to not have these players to rely on when things aren't going well. It leaves us without a natural captain on the pitch when those 3 are earmarked for the role.

lack of striker

This was a problem last season but recently it's really shown itself . We have no striker at the club to perform the role effectively enough. Lewen and tosun aren't good enough it's fair to say and that is where it's a hindrance for any manager . Against Watford both of them missed from less than 10 yards out, one would have counted but the point being if you have strikers who miss from that range when you really need a goal then what can a manager really do to win games? Most club's have at least one player who they can rely on in the box , we haven't had one for 2 seasons now.

Coaching staff

it's fair to say again we have never had a complete overhaul of our coaching staff since Moyes left. The manager brings his trusted allies in but on the training pitch and throughout the club the coaches have stayed the same. Perhaps this needs to be looked at and changed to see overall improvements throughout the team?

Yes, it was better for a while. I wonder how the introduction of Mina at Zouma's expense in the autumn unsettled things back there too.

I felt at the time it was harsh.

TBF Dave, Mina was used because Zouma couldn't play.

We put in our best performance - defensively - of the season at Chelsea with Mina in. He rightly retained his place and we kept a clean sheet v Cardiff (albeit that's the minimum we should have done) and were 30 seconds and a howler away from a clean sheet in the derby.

I don't actually know why Silva switched back to Zouma for the Newcastle game - and I said this at the time. It felt a needless change. We needed some continuity and Mina and Keane had been playing well. I've said both times this season that the two times Zouma and Mina have played together in a pair I've not liked the look of it - and Newcastle was the first of those times.

Then he went back to Mina and Keane for the Watford game, IIRC.

Yes, it was better for a while. I wonder how the introduction of Mina at Zouma's expense in the autumn unsettled things back there too.

I felt at the time it was harsh.

Wasn't Mina brought in for the Chelsea game? Which zouma couldn't play in. Mina and Keane then kept a clean sheet and played well so would then have been harsh to drop either again for an on loan player.

Other things to add:

• He's been here just 7 months. It's way too short a period to judge him on
  • We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
  • A goalkeeper having a calamitous season
Sorry to disagree Dave but you based your eternal love for Martinez on his first 7 months here after that he was abismal.

Other things to add:

• We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
Them points could have been made for Allardyce.

Loan players

lack of striker

Coaching staff

So, what's your point? It's not his fault?

TBF Dave, Mina was used because Zouma couldn't play.

We put in our best performance - defensively - of the season at Chelsea with Mina in. He rightly retained his place and we kept a clean sheet v Cardiff (albeit that's the minimum we should have done) and were 30 seconds and a howler away from a clean sheet in the derby.

I don't actually know why Silva switched back to Zouma for the Newcastle game - and I said this at the time. It felt a needless change. We needed some continuity and Mina and Keane had been playing well. I've said both times this season that the two times Zouma and Mina have played together in a pair I've not liked the look of it - and Newcastle was the first of those times.

Then he went back to Mina and Keane for the Watford game, IIRC.
Just from that ^^^ though you can see what chopping and changing there's been in CD.

That cant be right for a team. Leicester are well served, for example, with a solid and consistent Maguire/Evans unit. We've lost that since we had a decent Jagielka/Distin partnership.

Wasn't Mina brought in for the Chelsea game? Which zouma couldn't play in. Mina and Keane then kept a clean sheet and played well so would then have been harsh to drop either again for an on loan player.
Ok, I understand that. But there's been too much churn at the back in those positions.

Sorry to disagree Dave but you based your eternal love for Martinez on his first 7 months here after that he was abismal.
That was exceptional. I didn't judge him on it as a benchmark for others to emulate. Ilve always said it's pretty unique what he did in his first season.

Other things to add:

"Above expectations"

Teams Everton have beat this season.

Southampton, Rotherham, Fulham, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Cardiff, Burnley, Lincoln, Bournemouth, Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.