January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last, in Marcel Brands, we have someone who stands by what he says. No incomings and no selling our most important players. I'm sure Gana will be allowed to leave in summer, by which time a suitable replacement will already be lined up. I think MB has let the rest of the football world know that we are no longer an easy touch. Well done Marcel.

Everton transfer deadline day
I think it just means we’ll be doing our business in the summer window, I expect a lot of movement and I don’t think this was ever a 1 window ‘project’. We’ve got to accept that, as it stands, we are miles away from getting into the top 6. I think it’s reasonable to suggest that a lot of work has already gone on behind the scenes for June but we’ll know soon enough.

For me, Silva/Brands need another 18/24months. I accept we’re wanting better results, a better brand of football etc etc and some are already saying they don’t think Silva is the man for the job but I’ve seen enough to suggest he can get the team going and we can get results.

Looking around Europe it’s clear to see that no teams with the exception of those in trouble did much in the winter window. You only need to look at our 2 ins for the last Jan window to see how short term it can be. I don’t think we have little ambition for the rest of the season (circumstances dictate 7th is our only target) but I do take what you’re saying.

The summer window is simply huge for us. There are at least 10/15 players that need to go

1. Stek
2. Jags
3. Williams
4. Pennington
5. Morgan
6. Besic
7. Sandro
8. Kevin Miralles
9. Bolasie
10. Niasse
11. Theo?
12. Cenk?
13. McCarthy?
14. Browning
15. Martina
Zouma/Gomes loan returns Etc

and we need about 4/6 in.
Backup keeper
Centre back
Right back
Centre mid
Right wing
Striker

Realistically Brands/Silva were never getting the job done in 1 or two or even 3 windows. I think we need another two summer windows to get this squad to where it needs to be.

This is an exceptionally difficult league and we only need to look at recent score lines to see how competitive it is.

I’m expecting major surgery over the summer.
Our needs in relation to a striker are urgent and long run. I have no doubt the striker situation will be addressed in the summer. But then we get someone in (no doubt mid or late pre-season) and have to wait for them to bed in. That might get us off to a slow start as we try and find our shape again. The striker should have been sorted out from the moment early this season it became apparent that the pop gun attack Silva inherited could not be used by him and we desperately needed a cutting edge.

Overall: a decision has been made to downgrade the playing side of the club in order to focus on the "facility led recovery" of it off the pitch, in the shape of saving cash to throw at any stadium contracts...should one ever be given the green light. Brands is here to keep the plates spinning. All ambitions for a team capable of achieving anything has most definitely been placed in mothballs. That's the only conclusion that can be made about the window just closed.

Never expected anyone to come in this window.

I think the majority of us understand the club simply cannot commit to further wages until they shift on

We can afford to. But profitable businesses don’t take risks like that. You can’t add on £300k per week in wages in the hope that you’ll lose £400k from ‘x’ amount of players leaving in summer

Once the dead wood is gone I’d expect us to resume transfer business as normal.

Everton transfer deadline day

Our needs in relation to a striker are urgent and long run. I have no doubt the striker situation will be addressed in the summer. But then we get someone in (no doubt mid or late pre-season) and have to wait for them to bed in. That might get us off to a slow start as we try and find our shape again. The striker should have been sorted out from the moment early this season it became apparent that the pop gun attack Silva inherited could not be used by him and we desperately needed a cutting edge.

Overall: a decision has been made to downgrade the playing side of the club in order to focus on the "facility led recovery" of it off the pitch, in the shape of saving cash to throw at any stadium contracts...should one ever be given the green light. Brands is here to keep the plates spinning. All ambitions for a team capable of achieving anything has most definitely been placed in mothballs. That's the only conclusion that can be made about the window just closed.

No Dave. It was a status quo window, which was the main priority. If anything, defending is our biggest problem. Just check how many goals in total our 'striker less' team has scored.. Brands is a clever operator and uses the old Kenny Rogers plan to good effect...'You've got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

Had we sold Gueye - or had PSG come in with a more acceptable bid earlier in the window (maybe even a day earlier!) we'd have got someone in I think.

The main issue is shifting this deadwood.

Schneiderlin needs to be punted asap because he's one of our highest earners, same with Sandro. But no club is gonna be mental enough to pay their wages.

Is there not some clause in the contract where they can get fired for being rubbish?

Big summer for us. I really think we need to bite the bullet with some players and come to an agreement to pay up part of their contract and get rid. If we can lose Sandro, Schneiderlin, Bolassie off the wage bill that would be a good start. But we need to accept that we will get no fee for Schneiderlin (fee will be cancelled out by remaining wage cost) and we will have to lose money to get rid of Sandro and Bolassie. I hate to agree with Allardyce but he's right when he talks about a bloated squad killing morale. The question is whether Moshiri can accept that he's p**ed away £250 million.
Plus is he willing to stay patient and hang around for another 3 years while we play a toxic brand of football with this squad that we have to utilise??

Status
Not open for further replies.