2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest Frank I just see the same keeper I saw at sland, under koeman, rhino and fat sam. If anything under Silva he is making less saves so possibly has less to do, not sure on the stats for shots against etc comparatively but that's the way it appears

He is 100% making less saves than last season. He’s been dire recently and it’s becoming a problem, there’s no point trying to cover it up.

Thought the only one he could have got was the headed goal. Its the second ball where we have been woeful all season.
The ball is in the air 8/9 yards out , that should be bread & butter for any keeper.
Then again if he's told to stay on his line and let the defenders deal with it ???
There’s no way he’s going to win that ball. If he rushes out after they’ve won the first ball outside the area then he’s not getting to it and he looks 1000x worse.

A lot was made last night by the pundits about the amount of Millwall players ahead of our defence when a ball dropped in the box with Pickford exposed to it. The real problem was that there was too much of a gap between Pickford and the defenders in front of him. If he was at all commanding, though, he'd be pushed right up and dealing with those situations. He's flat footed and rooted to the spot.

He is already England number one and is a fine young keeper. He has the potential to be top class. I think part of the issue is the shambolic defense in front of him, which leaves him exposed.
Being “England’s number one” only means something if the standard is good; this is the worst era for English goalkeepers since WWII (I’d say ever but for the lack of knowledge of pre war keepers). Seaman was the last world class number one.

When you think of the players who weren’t England’s number one, the first that comes to mind being Nigel Martyn. England have been spoiled for well over half a century; Banks, Clemence, Shilton, Seaman. Tim Flowers and Martyn second and third choice behind Seaman. It’s now Pope, Foster, Pickford. Jordan had an exceptional run in the knockout games at the World Cup so he didn’t let anyone down there, but it doesn’t look like a standard he can maintain. While an excellent shot stopper his reach is an issue, plus his decision making is questionable to say the least. He always seems on edge, fidgety, which won’t transmit calmness to the defence. He doesn’t really command the penalty area either.

Having said all this, he has Michael Keane playing infront of him, a more flat footed central defender you won’t see at this level.

Being “England’s number one” only means something if the standard is good; this is the worst era for English goalkeepers since WWII (I’d say ever but for the lack of knowledge of pre war keepers). Seaman was the last world class number one.

When you think of the players who weren’t England’s number one, the first that comes to mind being Nigel Martyn. England have been spoiled for well over half a century; Banks, Clemence, Shilton, Seaman. Tim Flowers and Martyn second and third choice behind Seaman. It’s now Pope, Foster, Pickford. Jordan had an exceptional run in the knockout games at the World Cup so he didn’t let anyone down there, but it doesn’t look like a standard he can maintain. While an excellent shot stopper his reach is an issue, plus his decision making is questionable to say the least. He always seems on edge, fidgety, which won’t transmit calmness to the defence. He doesn’t really command the penalty area either.

Having said all this, he has Michael Keane playing infront of him, a more flat footed central defender you won’t see at this level.
True. In fact I would say the standard overall of the national squad is lower than the likes of the Euro 96 and Italia 90 teams. I think the fact the league is flooded with foreign players is holding the domestic players back.

The old three foreigners rule was better. Many of the Spanish teams do not even allow any non REGION players in the team, as they see themselves as vehicles to promote local talent. Funnily enough they have no problem producing lots of talented players.

Honestly, is the standard of player and the standard of football that much better now?

We're weak at set pieces because we have so many players the other teams can target.

Gomes and Gueye are abysmal at set pieces. Coleman, richarlison, dcl, arent nuch better. Even digne isn't that great.

Keane, Zouma, Mina and pickford are usually blameless it's just we have so much nonsense throughout the rest of the team.

True. In fact I would say the standard overall of the national squad is lower than the likes of the Euro 96 and Italia 90 teams. I think the fact the league is flooded with foreign players is holding the domestic players back.
Having spent some time working within a PL youth setup, (from my view) i would say with the younger lads it's more a case of the foreign boys want it more than a lot of the english lads do. The foreign kids are very focused on progressing through the levels and it's just football,football,football, where as the english lads are more worried about their social media profiles and instagram posts and vlogs about being a 'pro footballer' In my experience the english lads hold themselves back most of the time.

Having spent some time working within a PL youth setup, (from my view) i would say with the younger lads it's more a case of the foreign boys want it more than a lot of the english lads do. The foreign kids are very focused on progressing through the levels and it's just football,football,football, where as the english lads are more worried about their social media profiles and instagram posts and vlogs about being a 'pro footballer' In my experience the english lads hold themselves back most of the time.
Perhaps, but the Spanish do not have this problem. I also still hear stories about smaller players being overlooked due to their physique, when in the long term these are the guys who can flourish. If Barcelona went by that approach you would have no Iniesta or Xavi, for example

For the second goal, just look at where Richarlison is heading the ball clear. It's quite remarkable. He's literally a yard from the goal line.

We have a goalkeeper who never comes and catches anything. He is rooted to his line and balls regularly come into his 6 yard box with him nowhere to be seen.

Yet he has rushes of blood when there is no danger where he tackles his own defenders.

He's a complete dud this boy. As others have said, he's a good shot stopper, but a completely substandard goalkeeper. We need far better.

Perhaps, but the Spanish do not have this problem. I also still hear stories about smaller players being overlooked due to their physique, when in the long term these are the guys who can flourish. If Barcelona went by that approach you would have no Iniesta or Xavi, for example
Oh sure, we still, in this country have a huge issue in that the first thing a lot of clubs do, is they look at a player from a 'physical' point of view rather than what they can actually do with a ball on the pitch This is why we have Sport Science involved now (this is what i do) i could in theory take a smaller player and make them much stronger and quicker without any huge change to the players general body shape or game play. This is what they do abroad, like what you mention in Spain and everywhere else, but we do still have thing here that everyone has to be 6ft+ and built like an outhouse

Oh sure, we still, in this country have a huge issue in that the first thing a lot of clubs do, is they look at a player from a 'physical' point of view rather than what they can actually do with a ball on the pitch This is why we have Sport Science involved now (this is what i do) i could in theory take a smaller player and make them much stronger and quicker without any huge change to the players general body shape or game play. This is what they do abroad, like what you mention in Spain and everywhere else, but we do still have thing here that everyone has to be 6ft+ and built like an outhouse
Is this not how Rodwell was so highly thought of? He developed faster than his peers, so really stood out until they all caught up?

Status
Not open for further replies.