January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, the money is not there. We have spent it, and are still spending it every week on wages. Our sponsorship deal with USM doesn't even cover the cost of Sandro's contract. If we want to spend more, we have to reset and try again - keep the successes, move on the failures, and once the balance sheet becomes healthier there can be another concerted effort at a recruitment drive with hopefully. Spending big with the already bloated first team squad and wage bill we have would be fuel on a bonfire, and moving on that many players will take time. The high wages players are being paid is a hinderance and a result of our own profligacy rather than lack of funds and this is a multi million pound business at the end of the day, meaning all of the required changes can't happen overnight. As other people have rightly pointed out loaning players out can improve cashflow and reduce their book value, meaning that later on accepting lower fees doesn't hurt the balance sheet as much - as with all things there is compromise required. It is a process and a necessary one and it is being managed, but it is not Brands failing as a DoF as you often say just because he hasn't managed to sell 18 players in the January transfer window yet. Whingeing and moaning doesn't help any of this happen any quicker but it does help breed negativity and build pressure around the club which helps nobody.
The issue here isn't whether the austerity policy now being undertaken is right or wrong; my point is that we are here because of the actions of one man: Moshiri. And we could never have taken the folly of his idiocy and carried on spending because he was NEVER THE MAN OF SUBSTANCE HE WAS PROJECTED AS.

Brands is here to wield the axe. Make no mistake of that.

....Moshiri is accountable for appointing Walsh and Koeman. I don’t blame him for financially backing them but I agree he should’ve cut the purse strings when it became obvious Walsh was inept.

I think there’s still money to spend but only when the waste is reduced.
This is the problem with a lot of football clubs. They are owned by people who know nothing about football. That said, certain signings should never have been countenanced. You don't need to be a football genius to know that signing players in their late twenties who score and create a few goals a season for Crystal Palace, and whose career highlights came at Bristol City for over £20 million pounds is idiocy. Similarly we should never have paid over £20 million for Siggurdson. Moshiri is not a multi billionaire like the guys who own City. He had 1 shot at it, and he messed it up, and now we have to operate in the same way as West Ham or Leicester.

....Moshiri is accountable for appointing Walsh and Koeman. I don’t blame him for financially backing them but I agree he should’ve cut the purse strings when it became obvious Walsh was inept.

Sell to buy.

Come on Dave, any old excuse to have a pop at Moshiri ZZZZzzzzzzzz it's rather tiresome now.

The man has loaned to the club and invested more heavily than the charlatans who ran the show for 20 years before he arrived,

If he is guilty of anything it is bad judgement recruitment of managers. He has to put a certain amount of trust in the people he employs, otherwise what is the point in employing them. At the end of the day, they have bought badly and let him down.

Have you still got your knickers in a twist because he got rid of your spanish man crush? its 3 years down the line now mate, don't be so bitter.
Yeah, "Come on Dave, how can you possibly point the finger at the man who hired Koeman and Allardyce? That's not fair Dave, and you know it". :coffee:

I think on paper Koeman and Walsh were a great opportunity. Turned out Walsh was a utter idiot and Koeman gave up

Sell to buy.

Are you really so bloody dense?

In 2017 Everton spent £104.6m on wages, in 2018 it was £145m.

There is a cap of increasing wages by £7m per season.

This can be exceeded though by increasing income from player sales, match day recenue and commerical income increases.

Our match day income is pitiful so that won't help. Commercial income, we got USM to sponsorship Finch Farm which allowed the purchasing of players and £40m increase in the wage bill. Other commerical & sponroship income will be hard to get because it is scrutinised and based on fair market stuff.

So we have to get rid of players either on loan or selling them to free up wages in order to make sure we don't break any FFP rules.

The issue here isn't whether the austerity policy now being undertaken is right or wrong; my point is that we are here because of the actions of one man: Moshiri. And we could never have taken the folly of his idiocy and carried on spending because he was NEVER THE MAN OF SUBSTANCE HE WAS PROJECTED AS.

Brands is here to wield the axe. Make no mistake of that.

He gave an interest free loan to clear the clubs debts that has held us back for years? This gave the club a fresh start which has been largely squandered by the football people involved in the club, not by him personally. Moshiri's net worth is 1.2 billion whereas city have spend 1 billion in 10 years to get where they are - where was it projected that Moshiri would spend everything he had to get just challenging for the title?
I believe a more realistic promise was that Everton would be given a chance to compete on an even footing e.g. actually being able to utilise the TV revenue and player sales to improve the squad and compete for transfers rather than service debt and break even. This has been sqaundered by mismanagement by the football side of the business and we are again hampered financially by a huge wage bill. Whilst the buck ultimately stops with Moshiri he isn't personally responsible for this and has taken steps to correct it by bringing in a different set of football people. You are correct we are not financed by oil money like Chelsea or City but surely everyone knew this at the start considering Moshiri's net worth? Beating him with the fact that he's only worth 1.2billion when he gave us a fresh start after years of scraping by isn't fair, particularly as even after messing things up again we are not in anywhere near as bad shape as the dark days that preceded this period, and Moshiri is clearly trying to get us back on track.

It hinders more clubs than those who can thrive or cope with it.

The bottom line is that we dont have (and never have had) an owner of means.

Our self generated treasure trove is gone. The club now has to pay for the idiocy of the owner and his appointments.
Pretty sure John Moores was a man of means - the financial landscape was very different in those days of course but his ownership of the club was game-changing in the 60s.
Anyhow the bad news, for you, is that our treasure trove was not some irreplaceable family heirloom that is now lost forever - it was basically one astute Moyesian signing of a young player from a lower league club (Stones), plus one sensible loan and signing of an obviously class player who couldn't get a game for an elite club (Lukaku). Hardly a unique set of events never to be repeated.
The third valuable player (Barkley) we lost was basically the rolex you discover at a car boot sale for 10 quid, for a time think it's worth a million, but ultimately recognise it was a bolex that's worth ten pence.

Status
Not open for further replies.