2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't swap him for anyone. Whether that's popular or not, yes he has his moments. Anyone remember Thomas Myhre!!! Silva yesterday was shouting at him to calm down. He seems a bloke that always is on a rush. He has made mistakes for us and England this year but he's young and he will learn

He’s not that young.

He’s a keeper? haha

So is Allisson, whose pass success rate is 78%. haha

Of course a lot of it is down to the team (Liverpool's keeper will have easier outballs) and instruction from the manager, but even the likes of Kasper Schmeichel is 65.6%. Thats higher than Vardy for them, a keeper doesn't dictate the lowest passing success rate. Allisson is more than Salah.

Pickford's distribution is often trotted out as a tremendous asset, we're seemingly not using it well.

Of course a lot of it is down to the team (Liverpool's keeper will have easier outballs) and instruction from the manager, but even the likes of Kasper Schmeichel is 65.6%.

Pickford's distribution is often trotted out as a tremendous asset, we're seemingly not using it well.

I suspect our % of long balls is a lot higher than those two.

Of course a lot of it is down to the team (Liverpool's keeper will have easier outballs) and instruction from the manager, but even the likes of Kasper Schmeichel is 65.6%. Thats higher than Vardy for them, a keeper doesn't dictate the lowest passing success rate. Allisson is more than Salah.

His biggest issue he's got at the minute is he is trying to get involved too much when most of the time he doesn't need to. Reminding me a bit of Joe Hart when he was on his way down. Trying to show how good he is when he doesn't need to, hopefully the coaches can drill it out of him

skysports-graphic-data-goalkeeper_4450348.jpg

I also think he is relied upon to play with the ball a lot more than other keepers so his mistakes and mis-kicks are probably more noticeable. If you tasked Begovic for example to do what Pickford does, he'd really struggle.

I think a lot of keepers aim for an area with their kicks, like Colemans crossing, but Pickford aims at a man. He gets more right than wrong in his kicking imo.
This is mostly because he’s instructed to play more challenging passes, ie a lot of lofted passes out to the flanks.

They have a higher chance of error and many keepers just don’t play them, they either play the simple pass or hoof it.

That said, he can be careless and seems to be making more mistakes in the last few months, I think concentration is a key factor.
This sums up the defensive attitude towards Pickford from many of our fans for me. His poor passing stats are either because we ask him to play too many short passes unlike other keepers, or we ask him to play too many long passes unlike other keepers. It definitely can't just be because he's not very good at passing.

Me either but he's near the bottom so supports my gut feeling that his goalkicks this season have been utter tripe.

I think they mostly have been although he did one yesterday which was superb - straight into Bernard's feet on the halfway line.

His best asset distribution wise is from open play, when he's doing a sidewinder kick thingy or he's got time on his left foot (although recently he's been fluffing those).

But there's been a few this season that have been superb. Is it Pickford's fault that those don't result in shots on target?

For example, that one to Bernard yesterday in the first half was identical in terms of trajectory and location on the pitch to the goal England scored v Spain.

But whereas we didn't get a shot off, we just ended up slowing the play down, England - in two passes - had scored. There's the difference.

Me either but he's near the bottom so supports my gut feeling that his goalkicks this season have been utter tripe.

It’s because we don’t set up properly.

When a ball is going long off a goal kick the kicking teams players all move to one side of the pitch and bunch up to win the ball, and any second ball that comes with it.

We don’t do that. We keep our shape as if to play from the back, leave Pickford no options to play it short so it has to go long to Richarlison who’s never winning a header.

Status
Not open for further replies.