General Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
He made us go backwards. He's been saying "we". No one else did it other than him. He hired the trumpets, he carries the can. But he wont.

Anyway, prepare for the lid to be put firmly back on the biscuit tin...starting with this month's inactivity....and your man Brands agreeing to oversee it all, with another million in his pay packet no doubt.

He has quite literally said last night that he's made mistakes. What do you want him to do? Leave and take his money with him? Sack himself?

Jesus Christ.

He made us go backwards. He's been saying "we". No one else did it other than him. He hired the trumpets, he carries the can. But he wont.

Anyway, prepare for the lid to be put firmly back on the biscuit tin...starting with this month's inactivity....and your man Brands agreeing to oversee it all, with another million in his pay packet no doubt.

Its WE David, WE are all in this together, its not him and us, its US and WE.

Its about how WE go forward now or you spend the next few years talking about the last few years, something that constantly holds this club back, STOP LOOKING BACKWARDS.

Thanks. Can't say the same to you unfortunately because your analogy is terrible.

What ire? There is none. Where do I suggest I want instant success? I don't (Well, I mean I do want it, but i'm sensible enough to know it's not happening). I agree that Brands and Silva appear to be doing OK. I've defended Silva plenty on here, and pointed out that anyone who expected to finish higher than 7th this season was deluded.

My point was simply that saying you want to win the league is not, in itself, ambitious as was being claimed. As I don't believe we have done anything to suggest that this is a realistic ambition any time soon, I don't think it was particularly sensible to go on record saying it, as I think it may just cause unrest among fans if it doesn't look likely to happen in the next few years. Just take a look at all the speculation in the new stadium thread, which is a direct result of Dan Meis saying there would be designs published last year. Because it hasn't happened, people are worried that there have been setbacks, that it's all a sham etc. It could all have been so easily avoided if we'd just taken a bit more care with what was being said. I have a fair bit of experience in this field through my job, and in my experience these sorts of statements do more harm than good, particularly when your audience is as notoriously volatile as a football fanbase. Quote is not working but this was to you @mahermi1

Last edited:
While I agree to an extent, he has put an enormous amount of money into the club.

That money has not been spent wisely by others. So it's not like he hasn't tried.

I'm not excusing his bad decisions. But it's slightly disingenuous to summarise as 'saying a lot doing a little' when he's also put a lot in - but the results haven't been good enough.

If he was saying a lot and hadn't put a penny in, or hadn't helped us improve our commercial deals or take steps towards the ground, it'd be fair, but he has...
Yeah, to be clear, i'm not knocking Moshiri here. He's spent money, changed things, taken an interest etc. That's all good. I just mean in this particular sense, nobody can honestly say that he's been a game changer in terms of our ambitions so far. We haven't signed a single player that would have been unthinkable before he came, our managerial appointments are no more ambitious than they were, and our best players have still left us when they've had the chance. Fans of other clubs are not looking nervously at Everton thinking the sleeping giant is waking, they would not see any difference between us three years ago and now, other than that we now sign 3-4 players a year of the type you would expect, rather than 1-2.

Thanks. Can't say the same to you unfortunately because your analogy is terrible.

What ire? There is none. Where do I suggest I want instant success? I don't (Well, I mean I do want it, but i'm sensible enough to know it's not happening). I agree that Brands and Silva appear to be doing OK. I've defended Silva plenty on here, and pointed out that anyone who expected to finish higher than 7th this season was deluded.

My point was simply that saying you want to win the league is not, in itself, ambitious as was being claimed. As I don't believe we have done anything to suggest that this is a realistic ambition any time soon, I don't think it was particularly sensible to go on record saying it, as I think it may just cause unrest among fans if it doesn't look likely to happen in the next few years. Just take a look at all the speculation in the new stadium thread, which is a direct result of Dan Meis saying there would be designs published last year. Because it hasn't happened, people are worried that there have been setbacks, that it's all a sham etc. It could all have been so easily avoided if we'd just taken a bit more care with what was being said. I have a fair bit of experience in this field through my job, and in my experience these sorts of statements do more harm than good, particularly when your audience is as notoriously volatile as a football fanbase.

Can't understand the negativity towards Moshiri though, he has put his money where his mouth is. Again I can't really see the problem by saying " Our ambition is to win the league" because he's not saying next season or the season afterwards is he, it's not like it's a forecast. He has made mistakes, he's far from perfect, choice of managers, talking to Jim White, yes I get that. But at least he's having a go and is prepared to back his words with action, unlike our previous owners, who just made us plucky Everton.

Can't understand the negativity towards Moshiri though, he has put his money where his mouth is. Again I can't really see the problem by saying " Our ambition is to win the league" because he's not saying next season or the season afterwards is he, it's not like it's a forecast. He has made mistakes, he's far from perfect, choice of managers, talking to Jim White, yes I get that. But at least he's having a go and is prepared to back his words with action, unlike our previous owners, who just made us plucky Everton.
I'm not being negative though? I'm really not, at all. He's been good for us, but he's not done anything to suggest that talk of joining the elite and winning the league is realistic. When he came in he made some noises that suggested things were going to change massively here, but they haven't really. I don't blame him for that, he's not got the money of City or PSG etc, but his bullishness has probably led to a bit more impatience from fans who expected more, and he doesn't really seem to have learnt from that because things like this are still being said.

I said to another poster, it's disingenuous to say there was no timescale given. As I said, football fans are volatile, fickle, impatient, whatever you want to call them. When you say you have an ambition it will be taken that you mean in the next 10 years as an absolute maximum. You can't just say 'yeah you might all be dead but it will happen I promise'. If we haven't cracked the top 4 in 4-5 seasons, and are still signing the type of players we are now, you can bet your life there will be grumblings about lies and promises not being kept etc, when better communication could have had people saying this is great, we're going the right way. I just think we could do without this sort of bullish statement, it doesn't mean I don't like Moshiri or think he's a fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.