January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Werner links are just silly. He is heavily linked to Liverpool, already knows Klopp and has Keita having recently joined from the Bundesliga also. They are top of the pile in the league, still in the CL and when presented with that or ourselves, logically what will he choose?

Unless we are offering stupid cash - which hasn't served us well to date - this link has zero roots in reality.
Werner will be playing for Bayern Munich next. He literally said as much a couple of weeks ago. Lewandowski is getting on a bit and Werner will be the next in line.

Only looking for a loan deal though Goat, just in case his knees explode.

Im not as anti-loan as some people, I honestly see some benefit in loaning out players.

I realise people would prefer a sale, but I dont think people realise how much money these players are on and getting a small loan fee and wages paid for a player kicking their heels for us is worth a few bob.

Now granted we havent really been lucky with our loans so far leading to sales, sadly cos all our players are mainly horrific, but if Jamo can stay fit, he is certainly good enough to stake a place in a side, limited of course, but IMO hes very good at what he does.

Can’t quite agree with that, mate.

Pickford was POTY last year after being relegated. Gueye has been one of our best players since signing from a relegated club and Sigurdsson has been one of our better players this year after leaving Swansea.

I get where you’re coming from generally but Abraham has come through the Chelsea ranks; his loan at Swansea was just that, and not indicative of that being “his level”
Necessarily.

Ultimately, the scarcity of players available in Jan coupled with the ridiculous asking prices from clubs that can smell our desperation is going to make any striker deal very hard. I see Abraham as someone who would be relatively cheap in today’s market, would take little or no integration into the culture and could HOPEFULLY bring some of his Champo form up with him.

But one or two players out of a collection of them is luck rather than a proven method. Admittedly Pickford gueye and siggurdson are good but one is massively experienced and two of the three are 29 so not exactly young unproven players. It was widely known that walsh flipped a coin between gueye and Kante as similar stats for both.

It's the extremely young ones that concern me. If they were 23 for example and had a solid 4 years playing for the step up then ok, but at the start of their careers if they aren't standing out in a big way then it's too much a gamble. There is a reason why the likes of Huddersfield are linked with Abraham for example and the Norwich lad went straight to Leicester which is a big jump in itself.

In answer to this question - because by being good at evaluating players like that is the way you spend money cleverly. Otherwise you're stuck with paying £30m+ for average 'premier league proven' players. Or £50m+ for anyone even remotely good. Or £45m for okay players (Gylfi).

An attitude leading to writing off a 20 year old due to 'failing in the league' playing for one of the worst attacking sides the league has ever seen, or a 21 year old due to not breaking into a *Barcelona* team, is how you miss out on every clever purchase ever.

Edit: not saying I am good at evaluating those types of players (I'm not). But any DoF/chief scout who isn't should be fired.

I agree, I think there is loads of players who need a gamble. Forster and van dijk leaving Southampton, mane , marhez, Kante to name a few proved to be brilliant investments at the right price at the right time. They are the transfers I want to see is making over time under brands. I want a squad full of those players rather than relegation battlers and young gambles.

What we need, which I am sure we will get, is brands buying the right sort of player over time rather than short term stop gaps. So the squad forms a squad in his wish creating more balance and improvement. There will be plenty for resale value which is where brands works but if we can sell for profit initially and keep going then eventually the squad should have loads of talent to compensate rather than selling our best player.

Im not as anti-loan as some people, I honestly see some benefit in loaning out players.

I realise people would prefer a sale, but I dont think people realise how much money these players are on and getting a small loan fee and wages paid for a player kicking their heels for us is worth a few bob.

Now granted we havent really been lucky with our loans so far leading to sales, sadly cos all our players are mainly horrific, but if Jamo can stay fit, he is certainly good enough to stake a place in a side, limited of course, but IMO hes very good at what he does.

At the end of the day mate if certain players are not going to be used by Silva it makes sense to loan them out if no one is willing to buy them out right, as you say, a small loan fee and their wages paid makes a difference. Also, those players do well out on loan, the loanee clubs look to buy at the end of the loan, or we see enough to keep them.

The Werner links are just silly. He is heavily linked to Liverpool, already knows Klopp and has Keita having recently joined from the Bundesliga also. They are top of the pile in the league, still in the CL and when presented with that or ourselves, logically what will he choose?

Unless we are offering stupid cash - which hasn't served us well to date - this link has zero roots in reality.

how? just because he was born in Germany? at no point have their career paths crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.