January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather us stop signing dross from bottom end of the premier League table teams, whom are used to fighting relegation scraps (ie. Williams, Martina, Pickford, Keane, Cleverly, Kone), and spend it on higher calibre players like we have with Digne, Gomes etc.

The exception being of course, if a stand out player has a relegation clause we can take advantage of (Gana).

Also, I really liked Enner Valencia when he was with us. For the price at the time I really think we should have bought him, even as a squad player. He'd be far more effective in this Silva set up we have now.

True, but then when one failed in the league once before and the other is struggling to break into his current team then you have to ask why, if they are so good to begin with?

Lewen for example is exactly the same as them and isn't good enough to play up front for us due to ability or lack of experience. Point being, why gamble on players you know are struggling at this level on the hope they come good here? At least gamble on a striker who is doing well

In answer to this question - because by being good at evaluating players like that is the way you spend money cleverly. Otherwise you're stuck with paying £30m+ for average 'premier league proven' players. Or £50m+ for anyone even remotely good. Or £45m for okay players (Gylfi).

An attitude leading to writing off a 20 year old due to 'failing in the league' playing for one of the worst attacking sides the league has ever seen, or a 21 year old due to not breaking into a *Barcelona* team, is how you miss out on every clever purchase ever.

Edit: not saying I am good at evaluating those types of players (I'm not). But any DoF/chief scout who isn't should be fired.

Personally I dont consider him any different to DCL, thats the problem, they both have the same "will they, wont they" feel about them.

I don’t disagree necessarily, but there again is the gamble element: DCL seems like he won’t, but Abraham just might!!

In an ideal world, they may even strike up the kind of rapport/friendly rivalry that could improve both of them...

Obviously, though, this is Everton so what would REALLY happen is that they’d run into each other in Abraham’s first training session and be out for the season.

Didn't Sunderland loan browning and Galloway off us!
In the EFL, 8 players max on loam, with no more than 5 in the match day squad.

Up to 4 players can be loaned from the same club, but only 2 over the age of 23.

Bolasie is on loan at Villa and we just sent browning there too no?

I'd rather us stop signing dross from bottom end of the premier League table teams, whom are used to fighting relegation scraps (ie. Williams, Martina, Pickford, Keane, Cleverly, Kone), and spend it on higher calibre players like we have with Digne, Gomes etc.

The exception being of course, if a stand out player has a relegation clause we can take advantage of (Gana).

Also, I really liked Enner Valencia when he was with us. For the price at the time I really think we should have bought him, even as a squad player. He'd be far more effective in this Silva set up we have now.

I had literally forgotten all about Enner Valencia.

Can we not just sign a good centre forward. Had enough mediocrity.

Think it will be quiet for us lads. Unless, that is, we get some funds (and more importantly roster space) freed up by surprise outgoings.
Good surprises would be reasonable offers for:
McCarthy, Schneiderlin, Walcott, Tosun or Niasse
Bad Surprises would be selling Gueye (though surely we would hold out for an amount that armed us to find a quality replacement).

I'm sure Brands has targets in mind (think Lozano, Wesley - who he scouted when at PSV - types).

My guess though is that unless we see significant change to the roster he will wait until summer to act (the exception being a permanent deal for Gomes).

He seemingly displays a discipline we have not seen in a while.
I have to ask
WTF is roster space

The Werner links are just silly. He is heavily linked to Liverpool, already knows Klopp and has Keita having recently joined from the Bundesliga also. They are top of the pile in the league, still in the CL and when presented with that or ourselves, logically what will he choose?

Unless we are offering stupid cash - which hasn't served us well to date - this link has zero roots in reality.

I don’t disagree necessarily, but there again is the gamble element: DCL seems like he won’t, but Abraham just might!!

In an ideal world, they may even strike up the kind of rapport/friendly rivalry that could improve both of them...

Obviously, though, this is Everton so what would REALLY happen is that they’d run into each other in Abraham’s first training session and be out for the season.

Well again personally I would prefer us to get a more rounded Striker in, somebody a bit older who wasnt ALL potential, we need somebody who doesnt need to learn on the job. Granted people then think of the Tosuns of this world, but we have loads of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.