• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Insead of critical one line digs surely would be useful to discuss the subject.

We have the 7th highest wage bill in prem, have spent more than anyone outside top 6, we finished 8th last year.

Please explain why 7th isn't par, anything under poor. Anything over good to outstanding.
No you finished 4th last season and have spent more than anyone else in the league. So of course 7th would be below par.

Just out of interest and am not trying to be arsey here but going forward with the squad we have what formation and team would you play to make us better and am not saying silva has done great but give the fella a bit of time here FFS

First thing would of been to sign a striker something brands knew we needed but never did anything about.
Going forward, at times you have to play defensive football especially against the top 6, Silva hasn't figure this out yet

Going gung ho and throwing everyone up the field may be good to watch, but lose the ball and your in trouble.
He needs to adapt the formation for when we're under pressure to plug the holes in defence, also needs to scrap zonal marking, conceding too many from set pieces, some teams can pull it off, he can't.

He is making it easy for the opposition managers, he plays the same for way for every game, at least try and keep a clean sheet but he doesent, he sends too many players forward and gifts the opposition chances to score against every game.

Its plan A with him all the time, if that doesent work so be it. One trick show pony

An odd comment. Since he is as you say an offensive manager it stands to reason that if we did sack him Brands would appoint another offensive manager to work with the players recruited to that style.
In any case after 11 years of Moist I’d prefer we establish an offensive style of play.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the top of the league is entirely dominated by offensive teams.
One the last great defensive managers has failed in his last two jobs.
For the time being offensive football denotes successful football, unit no doubt the pendulum swings back again.

Playing offensive football with no strikers, genius.
Also has no grafters in the team.
Half the season gone I have yet to see us dominate a game.
Even the wins against Fulham (they missed 2 sitters before half time) and Southampton pretty sure Ings missed 2 sitters in that aswell. I think it was the Leicester game where the guy missed a free header at the end. And palace missed a penalty and we score 2 in the last 3 minutes.

Yes there have been decisions go against us aswell but ultimately the blame lies with the manager

How is 7th a `good achievement'. It is clearly par.

5/6th would be a `good season' and resemble progress,

4th would be an excellent achievment.

We have the 7th biggest wage bill and have spent way more on players in recent times than the cluster of clubs around us at the moment.
7th would be par and not `progress'.

8/9/10th would be sub par, underachievment.

11th or lower a disgrace.

Silva came into a team progressing from the lower depths of the league to 8th and we spent fortunes in the summer

The dellusion continues.

Hold up. We weren't 7th last year, we were 8th, but realistically, we should've been much lower. Again, some of you seem blinded by this 8th place finish. We were awful.

Beyond that, having a high wage bill was a BAD THING, not a good thing. It has hamstrung a bit of our ability to improve the club. And again, it's the first year with a new D of F and head coach. If they show progress, they should stay. Any team that plays like we did last year is clearly FAR FAR away from a top 4 club. The fact that anyone would be impatient about getting to that level when we haven't been there in 30 years is crazy.

This season was never gonna be the breakthrough season

We had a surprisingly good start and that lifted expectations

But at the end of the day this season has been, and always will be about reshaping the worst squad we have had since Walter smiths years. Everything that has been done in terms of recruitment has been bang on so far. Any unexpectedly good league position is a bonus this year. We will finish between 7th and 10th but in doing so I guess around 50 percent of the squad updates will be in place.

Provided there is continued investment (wise investment as its been so far under brands - not willy nilly bets like the last couple of seasons) then we should be able to fairly judge silva about this time next year.

In the meantime the football's definitely headed in the right direction even if the results aren't always there. Just take a minute and think what we actually paid money to watch 12 months ago!

I think some, and I absolutely include me in this, need to be more patient.

I’ve given Silva a lot of slack as I didn’t want him as manager. But he is now. And god I don’t want another manager sacked.

We were broken when he got here so perhaps 6 months is too little time to have hoped for everything to be fixed.

It’s difficult as we all want to see progress. I guess I just didn’t realise that this season would be such a right off.

Playing offensive football with no strikers, genius.
Also has no grafters in the team.
Half the season gone I have yet to see us dominate a game.
Even the wins against Fulham (they missed 2 sitters before half time) and Southampton pretty sure Ings missed 2 sitters in that aswell. I think it was the Leicester game where the guy missed a free header at the end. And palace missed a penalty and we score 2 in the last 3 minutes.

Yes there have been decisions go against us aswell but ultimately the blame lies with the manager

Did you not see the team last year? We would go entire games with 1 maybe 2 shots on target and almost no shots PERIOD. We were 19th in the league in shots out of 20 teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not dominate a game? The Fulham game? They didn't have a single shot on target. Not a single one. The Southampton game? We had 58% possession and didn't play with Gomes, Bernard, Mina, or Zouma. The Leicester game? The one where they had 2 shots on target and we outshot them 17 to 8? The Palace game? Where we had 60% possession and outshot them 20 to 7? Domination.

We've also been good and tied or lost, mostly due to luck. How about Newcastle? We had 76% possession, outshot them 19 to 8, and completely dominated only to tie. How 'bout the West Ham match where we had 58% possession, outshot them 16 to 9, and have them score on 3 of their 4 shots on goal to win?

How about the ridiculous red cards at Wolves and Bournemouth? The Wolves red card only to have them move the ball up 10 yards from where the foul was. The Bournemouth ridiculous phantom headbutt where they dupe the ref.

We've been pretty unlucky if anything.

First thing would of been to sign a striker something brands knew we needed but never did anything about.
Going forward, at times you have to play defensive football especially against the top 6, Silva hasn't figure this out yet

Going gung ho and throwing everyone up the field may be good to watch, but lose the ball and your in trouble.
He needs to adapt the formation for when we're under pressure to plug the holes in defence, also needs to scrap zonal marking, conceding too many from set pieces, some teams can pull it off, he can't.

He is making it easy for the opposition managers, he plays the same for way for every game, at least try and keep a clean sheet but he doesent, he sends too many players forward and gifts the opposition chances to score against every game.

Its plan A with him all the time, if that doesent work so be it. One trick show pony
Some good points there striker we are in desperate need of one .Zonal marking cannot get my head around it and lots teams seem to like it . And set pieces we never seem to win the second or loose ball drives me mad . But I want to see silva and brands team on the pitch so that's why am in the give him some time camp

Did you not see the team last year? We would go entire games with 1 maybe 2 shots on target and almost no shots PERIOD. We were 19th in the league in shots out of 20 teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not dominate a game? The Fulham game? They didn't have a single shot on target. Not a single one. The Southampton game? We had 58% possession and didn't play with Gomes, Bernard, Mina, or Zouma. The Leicester game? The one where they had 2 shots on target and we outshot them 17 to 8? The Palace game? Where we had 60% possession and outshot them 20 to 7? Domination.

We've also been good and tied or lost, mostly due to luck. How about Newcastle? We had 76% possession, outshot them 19 to 8, and completely dominated only to tie. How 'bout the West Ham match where we had 58% possession, outshot them 16 to 9, and have them score on 3 of their 4 shots on goal to win?

How about the ridiculous red cards at Wolves and Bournemouth? The Wolves red card only to have them move the ball up 10 yards from where the foul was. The Bournemouth ridiculous phantom headbutt where they dupe the ref.

We've been pretty unlucky if anything.
Not sure why your quoting shots on target.
Those games could of gone either way and
if you saw the games, you know it.
Never dominated any of them.

`don't be blinded by finishing 8th after 38 games - we were awful'
This is absolutely mind blowing stuff.

Again, please just rationally explain after finishing 8th last year and having the 7th highest wage bill in the division -
Why is 7th this season not par/expcted. Anything less is underachieving, anything abover overachieving?

Status
Not open for further replies.