Old Everton Pictures

7th September 1963. Everton wing half Jimmy Gabriel (third right) arrives through a host players to score against Burnley, at Goodison Park. in a 3-4 defeat for the blues -
a87830e02cd07a62279ab4169b278247.jpg

A similar, poorer quality photo appeared on the internet about a year ago but did not quote a date. I was aware that Gabriel scored both home and away that season so went to the L'pool library to read the match reports. As Alex Young did not play in the away game I took it to be the home game but the match report for this states Gabriel scored "with a long range shot" so I am still unsure.

A similar, poorer quality photo appeared on the internet about a year ago but did not quote a date. I was aware that Gabriel scored both home and away that season so went to the L'pool library to read the match reports. As Alex Young did not play in the away game I took it to be the home game but the match report for this states Gabriel scored "with a long range shot" so I am still unsure.
In my bible goalscorers in order of the that 3-4 defeat Jimmy Gabriel, J Hill, and Alex Scott - Hill was a reserve inside forward playing the no 10 or no 8 shirt only had a few games...
hope that helps ;)

In my bible goalscorers in order of the that 3-4 defeat Jimmy Gabriel, J Hill, and Alex Scott - Hill was a reserve inside forward playing the no 10 or no 8 shirt only had a few games...
hope that helps ;)
Bloody good memory Joey! I wouldn't have got Jimmy Hill forevermore. I can give some certainties and some guesses on the old photees. R to L.
Jimmy Adamson (B) Dennis Stevens (E) Gabby (E) Possibly Elder (Left Back B) Probably Adam Blacklaw goalie (B) God himself ghosting in (E).
Possibly Angus Right Back (B) Jimmy McIlroy No. 7 (B).

Bloody good memory Joey! I wouldn't have got Jimmy Hill forevermore. I can give some certainties and some guesses on the old photees. R to L.
Jimmy Adamson (B) Dennis Stevens (E) Gabby (E) Possibly Elder (Left Back B) Probably Adam Blacklaw goalie (B) God himself ghosting in (E).
Possibly Angus Right Back (B) Jimmy McIlroy (B).
I have a bible of all blues games as a great referee book pm me if you want the name of it etc
You have a great memory for that photo,it's a great picture that one to score 3 at home and get beat - Burnley were a top team in that era ;)

7th September 1963. Everton wing half Jimmy Gabriel (third right) arrives through a host players to score against Burnley, at Goodison Park. in a 3-4 defeat for the blues -
a87830e02cd07a62279ab4169b278247.jpg
Part of the Lancs 'Bs' of Bolton, Burnley and Blackburn who came to the inconsistently performing Champions and turned them over with a mixture of borderline leeds-ish (leeds lite) tactics, mixed with a pragmaticly effective, energetic attitude, and it has to be said, a fair dash of skill from some old hands like Bryan Douglas etc.
Douglas was so influential, next season Catterick did the then novel thing of putting Dennis Stevens on Douglas to man mark him the whole game...it worked after a fashion, iirc, we drew 2-2
Also, Harry more or less signed Pickering on the strength of his hat trick.

Part of the Lancs 'Bs' of Bolton, Burnley and Blackburn who came to the inconsistently performing Champions and turned them over with a mixture of borderline leeds-ish (leeds lite) tactics, mixed with a pragmaticly effective, energetic attitude, and it has to be said, a fair dash of skill from some old hands like Bryan Douglas etc.
Douglas was so influential, next season Catterick did the then novel thing of putting Dennis Stevens on Douglas to man mark him the whole game...it worked after a fashion, iirc, we drew 2-2
My old fella always reckoned when we signed Pickering from Blackburn we should also have gone for McEvoy was it?who was his foil/provider there, think they ripped us a new one that season 63-64 and Labone advised Catterick to sign Pickering.

John Houlding at a Council Meeting in January 1896 were he was out maneuvered by Everton Board members for us not to pay the high inflated new rent and move to goodison park- Dr baxter giving us an interest free loan to build a new Stadia -
8ceff5e0302c2f3b3e55998f5237a758.jpg
Shoulda paid up, would've saved us loads of grief down the years,and paid for its self many times over.

My old fella always reckoned when we signed Pickering from Blackburn we should also have gone for McEvoy was it?who was his foil/provider there, think they ripped us a new one that season 63-64 and Labone advised Catterick to sign Pickering.
McIlroy, top player, seems back then every team had one or even two, prior to the maximum wage dying out in the early 60s there was no real incentive for these players to move to the big city teams like us.

They were funded by the big mill owners the Lancashire clubs they started off the richest from day one..... Bolton in particular were today's man city of their era when the football league was formed....

They were funded by the big mill owners the Lancashire clubs they started off the richest from day one..... Bolton in particular were today's man city of their era when the football league was formed....
Maybe early on, in the 50s and 60s Bob Lord had a chain of Butchers shops around Burnley. In the days of the maximum wage that was enough to keep it ticking over, gate money covered the wages and then some